171 / 3.59 Scholarships top 30?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
max

171 / 3.59 Scholarships top 30?

Postby max » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 pm

171/3.59 economics/latin american studies double major from a top 25 undergrad school, with 1 year of Americorps VISTA non-profit work experience.

i have two questions-

first of all: NYU is my dream school-what are my chances and is it worth it for ED?

second: how much money do you think could I get from top 20-35sh east coast schools (I'm thinking Fordham, BU, BC, GWU, any others??). Are there any that might offer a full ride?

rondemarino

Re: 171 / 3.59 Scholarships top 30?

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 pm

max wrote:171/3.59 economics/latin american studies double major from a top 25 undergrad school, with 1 year of Americorps VISTA non-profit work experience.

i have two questions-

first of all: NYU is my dream school-what are my chances and is it worth it for ED?

second: how much money do you think could I get from top 20-35sh east coast schools (I'm thinking Fordham, BU, BC, GWU, any others??). Are there any that might offer a full ride?

Any school where you're above both medians (lost of T30s) would be retarded not to give you boatloads of scholarship money.

ace0260

Postby ace0260 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 pm

yeah will get great schollys from 20-30 crowd and maybe even the vandy texas usc ucla crowd.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm sure you could get at least 1 T30 full ride, either initially or through negotiation...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 pm

NYU, ED, stat. Apply to all the T30s, but be prepared to withdraw when NYU admits you. Yes, you can still get money, even ED, though less than a full ride.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:NYU, ED, stat. Apply to all the T30s, but be prepared to withdraw when NYU admits you. Yes, you can still get money, even ED, though less than a full ride.

You wouldn't happen to be generalizing for dbt's seemingly exceptional case, would you? (link)

Its also incredibly stupid for a school to give out scholarship money to someone who ED'd. Money that could be spent attracting 'talent' (ok, numbers) away from Columbia, Chicago, or HYS. Even more so in a case where the applicant is below BOTH medians, as OP is.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 pm

rondemarino wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:NYU, ED, stat. Apply to all the T30s, but be prepared to withdraw when NYU admits you. Yes, you can still get money, even ED, though less than a full ride.

You wouldn't happen to be generalizing for dbt's seemingly exceptional case, would you? (link)

Its also incredibly stupid for a school to give out scholarship money to someone who ED'd. Money that could be spent attracting 'talent' (ok, numbers) away from Columbia, Chicago, or HYS. Even more so in a case where the applicant is below BOTH medians, as OP is.

dbt isn't alone. NYU is relatively generous... my school certainly can't just lob huge scholarships at people it wants. (I love Fordham, but wish we had more money.) Schools do give less money to ED applicants, as you noted, so it can be a gamble, but if it's OP's first choice, it's a risk worth taking. If he can demonstrate need, he should certainly get something, especially if he speaks up.

I will now cease, since NYU doesn't really need to be trolled for, lol.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

dbt isn't alone. NYU is relatively generous... my school certainly can't just lob huge scholarships at people it wants. (I love Fordham, but wish we had more money.) Schools do give less money to ED applicants, as you noted, so it can be a gamble, but if it's OP's first choice, it's a risk worth taking. If he can demonstrate need, he should certainly get something, especially if he speaks up.

I wonder if that is attributable to NYU's endowment income. Both schools generate the same revenue from tuition. Can't imagine their expenses are radically different. Anyway, another day another topic.

My personal, uninformed-0L opinion is that without a positive, or at least neutral on the school's LSAT/GPA medians, there's a good chance you are 'wasting' an ED. Paste this link in your browser (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd)

The data is from LSN, sorted by by non-URM ED acceptances. Replace "nyu" in the link with all any other school and see if there are ANY ED acceptances where a candidate was below both the school's LSAT and GPA medians.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:14 pm

rondemarino wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

I wonder if that is attributable to NYU's endowment income. Both schools generate the same revenue from tuition. Can't imagine their expenses are radically different. Anyway, another day another topic.

My personal, uninformed-0L opinion is that without a positive, or at least neutral on the school's LSAT/GPA medians, there's a good chance you are 'wasting' an ED. Paste this link in your browser (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd)

The data is from LSN, sorted by by non-URM ED acceptances. Replace "nyu" in the link with all any other school and see if there are ANY ED acceptances where a candidate was below both the school's LSAT and GPA medians.

For someone far below, ED won't help. I think OP's numbers have a shot, though, if his application is well crafted. The worst he'll get is a deferral to RD. His numbers are right on the cusp, so this is precisely where ED might be useful.

Your instincts re: endowment are spot on. Fordham is, factually speaking, the underdog of NYC. NYU has nearly six times as much money... I don't even want to do the math on Columbia. Fordham's certainly done a lot with a little. That said, if NYU would have given OP money for RD, he'll probably still get something if admitted ED, and it's his best shot.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:For someone far below, ED won't help. I think OP's numbers have a shot, though, if his application is well crafted. The worst he'll get is a deferral to RD. His numbers are right on the cusp, so this is precisely where ED might be useful.

Your instincts re: endowment are spot on. Fordham is, factually speaking, the underdog of NYC. NYU has nearly six times as much money... I don't even want to do the math on Columbia. Fordham's certainly done a lot with a little. That said, if NYU would have given OP money for RD, he'll probably still get something if admitted ED, and it's his best shot.

The benefits of ED go both ways. Schools have to get something in return. Yes, they are guaranteed an enrollment from the acceptance offer, but I'd wager that almost anyone with numbers below both medians is a guaranteed enrollment anyway.

Personally, I think Penn gets you more bang for your ED buck, but I hate Penn, so I advise against it. :D

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 pm

rondemarino wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:For someone far below, ED won't help. I think OP's numbers have a shot, though, if his application is well crafted. The worst he'll get is a deferral to RD. His numbers are right on the cusp, so this is precisely where ED might be useful.

The benefits of ED go both ways. Schools have to get something in return. Yes, they are guaranteed an enrollment from the acceptance offer, but I'd wager that almost anyone with numbers below both medians is a guaranteed enrollment anyway.

Personally, I think Penn gets you more bang for your ED buck, but I hate Penn, so I advise against it. :D

LOL. Here follows my endorsement of NYU. I will say that it's my favorite T14.

People are quirky, though, and pick law schools for reasons we would never credit.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm

LSAT is at median and GPA right around 25%. Ehhh, I guess you should ED if you're willing to pay sticker.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:23 pm

I retract my previous (uninformed) advice.

RD, non-URM, LSAT<171, GPA<3.65

While the ED might be technically wasted, OP's numbers have found their way in NYU via RD. By applying ED, NYU will know that they can offer OP an acceptance during RD and be close to certain that he/she will accept.

Good luck.

max

Postby max » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm

(revision-my LSDAS GPA is 3.61), LSAT still 171

here is my full list... let me know odds/money for RD

Stanford
Berkley
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Georgetown
GWU
BU
Fordham

drew

Postby drew » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:38 pm

max wrote:(revision-my LSDAS GPA is 3.61), LSAT still 171

here is my full list... let me know odds/money for RD

Stanford - out
Berkley - no clue
Columbia - wl/out
NYU - wl/in
Chicago -wl/out
Penn - in
Georgetown - in, $$
GWU - in, $$$
BU - in, $$
Fordham - in $$

max

Postby max » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:14 pm

here's how it's turned out, so far... (171 / lsac 3.60)
updated

GULC - in
Fordham - in $$
GWU - in
Boston U - in
Harvard - rejected
UVA - waitlisted
UMich - waitlisted
UPenn - waitlisted
Columbia - waitlisted
NYU - waitlisted

Return to “What are my chances?”