Wharton Undergrad - 3.13 GPA. LSATs needed for top 20?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doyleoil

Re: Wharton Undergrad - 3.13 GPA. LSATs needed for top 20?

Postby doyleoil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
rayiner wrote:I feel like a Harvard JD would be more useful if law as a field completely ceases to exist. The lay prestige of HLS is unmatched. The "DFL at HLS" hypotheticals sometimes make me wonder what I could sweet-talk my way into with just a Harvard JD to my name.

This kind of talk just makes me uncomfortable.

Of course if you were at Harvard we could...room together....if you know what I mean.
Sex.

Lots of sex.

That's what I mean.

i've been waiting for this romance to reignite - good to have you back in full form, ce

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
rayiner wrote:I feel like a Harvard JD would be more useful if law as a field completely ceases to exist. The lay prestige of HLS is unmatched. The "DFL at HLS" hypotheticals sometimes make me wonder what I could sweet-talk my way into with just a Harvard JD to my name.

This kind of talk just makes me uncomfortable.

Of course if you were at Harvard we could...room together....if you know what I mean.
Sex.

Lots of sex.

That's what I mean.

i've been waiting for this romance to reignite - good to have you back in full form, ce

We all know what's legal in mASSachusetts

cpaige

Postby cpaige » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:35 pm

kurama20 wrote:
cbreault wrote:
Barry_Zuckerkorn wrote:Hello all,

I recently graduated from the Wharton School at the Univ. of Penn with concentrations in finance and marketing. To be perfectly honest, I became disillusioned with the financial services industry while I was still at school due to the cutthroat culture amongst my peers and turmoil in the world economy. I finished with a GPA of 3.13. I will be the first to admit that I could have done a lot better during my undergrad years but the grading curve was notoriously tough and I did challenge myself by pursuing 2 concentrations. I am looking to take the LSATs sometime this fall/winter. My question is: What type of score do I need to get (I'm looking for a range) to get into a top 20 law school? Also, since I went to Penn undergrad, will I have a slight advantage if I apply to Penn Law assuming I do very well on my LSATs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No one will care about your 2 concentrations in business. They will care only marginally better that the concentrations were completed at Wharton. There's a big difference between a Wharton MBA and a UPenn undergrad degree done in Wharton. The "disillusioned" argument won't fly, because the simple question to be is asked is why didn't you simply change your major and pursue another course of study, especially since you decided to then pursue 2X the needed concentrations.

Also, you're taking the "LSAT" not the "LSATs," unless you plan on taking it multiple times.

For the top 20, I would say you need at least a 167, and that would only give you a chance at the lower top 20 to top 25.

Even for the lower top 20 to top 25 you'll probably need more like a 170.

No, UPenn law will not care that you were in Wharton undergrad.

Admissions committees will wonder why you did "notoriously" shitty in a "notoriously" easy undergrad major. You can study business at any school in the country and at the end of the day its still just business.

Wow you must be joking? Finance at Wharton is definitely not "notoriously easy' it involves things like Kepler's theorem and multivariable calculus, matrix algebra, and the Black Scholes formula. Realistically "notoriously easy" majors are the ones that most law school students ( and TLS posters) usually major in. They include: Political science, History, Comparative lit, and English.

wait a minute before you hate on polisci majors. i majored in international politics at georgetown's school of foreign service and had to take 2 years of economics as well as gain foreign language proficiency in russian, on top of taking all of my major and core courses. in order to get honors, i had to write a substantial (80+ pages) thesis, on top of writing a thesis for my minor.

just trying to defend polisci kids ... oh and the international history kids in the SFS also had to take 2 years of econ.

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:44 pm

lawlover829 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
legends159 wrote:So is Wharton really worth the hype? I remember when I was applying for college, people would tell me that if you went to Wharton your life was set.

No school truly sets you for life.

HLS law, but I wouldn't say HLS undergrad.

actually i dont think HLS has an undergrad program

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:11 am

If you got into Wharton you are probably capable of a 170+, so shoot for that and see where it takes you.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:50 am

With a 170+ you have a chance as a splitter to get into a couple lower T14 schools. However, APPLYING EARLY is a huge huge thing for splitters, and the earliest you'll be taking the LSAT is September, so be sure you have your applications ready to mail as soon as they start accepting them, you study your ass off from now until September, and you nail the LSAT.

You can submit apps before you get your LSAT score back, but unfortunately you won't have a good idea where to ED until you get your score, and I'm not sure you will get it in time. ED could be another huge thing to help you.

If you want to go to Penn Law, a very well-written "Why Penn?" PS that talks about how much you like Penn as an institution and the Philly area will probably go a long way there.

Beyond that... well, you're looking at a real crapshoot, and a disadvantage since you haven't already taken the LSAT. If you can do it, I'd highly recommend getting a couple years' WE out of the way, study hard for the LSAT, wait until you're practice-testing reliably in the 170s, and then take it and worry about applying then. (If you do that you'll also build a larger buffer between yourself and the job-consuming recession for when you graduate law school!)

Postby 02082010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 am

For Penn Law you'd need a 170+ and ED with a 3.13

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:13 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:For Penn Law you'd need a 170+ and ED with a 3.13

I think you'd need more than that, even ED.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:14 am

Action Jackson wrote:

True, an LSAT that would pad their 75% should do the trick.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

True, an LSAT that would pad their 75% should do the trick.

I thin someone mentioned a 174, and that sounds about right to me. 174 + ED is the way to go.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 am

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/templeton

Holy crap!

Kiana

Postby Kiana » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:37 am

I recently graduated from the Wharton School at the Univ. of Penn with concentrations in finance and marketing. To be perfectly honest, I became disillusioned with the financial services industry while I was still at school due to the cutthroat culture amongst my peers and turmoil in the world economy. I finished with a GPA of 3.13. I will be the first to admit that I could have done a lot better during my undergrad years but the grading curve was notoriously tough and I did challenge myself by pursuing 2 concentrations. I am looking to take the LSATs sometime this fall/winter. My question is: What type of score do I need to get (I'm looking for a range) to get into a top 20 law school? Also, since I went to Penn undergrad, will I have a slight advantage if I apply to Penn Law assuming I do very well on my LSATs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Plenty of law schools have reputations of being "cutthroat." Lawyers are not necessarily less competitive or nicer than business people.

Also, the economy has hurt the legal industry a lot too.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 am

Action Jackson wrote:

Holy crap!

Still dumbfounded as to why you chose to ED.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

Holy crap!

Sigh... I knew 100% I wanted to go to Penn and was done thinking about LS by Dec.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:59 am

Action Jackson wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

Holy crap!

Sigh... I knew 100% I wanted to go to Penn and was done thinking about LS by Dec.

I'm not judging. Penn is a great school, I may ED there as well.

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 am

Last edited by altoidz on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sls

Re: Wharton Undergrad - 3.13 GPA. LSATs (please read)

Postby sls » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:18 pm

I feel that these posts are not accurate by and large.

Try to do the best you can on the exam (Don't stress over trying to reach a particular number).

I went to Wharton undergrad (W'04 concentration in business and public policy). I also had a comparable G.P.A. to yours.

Wharton does make a difference in admission, it is the most selective undergrad in the country ( Yes, I know that the Harvard college and Cal Tech are also very comparable).

I can speak for the admission into elite law schools (Particularly the schools that are regarded as the top 6). You need a total package to merit considerations. Great recommendations and a compelling personal statement do go along way. Also, the extracurriculars at Wharton or second to none and you should emphasize them in your applications. Additionally, if you have any professional or other significant experiences between law school and Wharton, then highlight that in the application as well. Diversity should also be emphasized, if you are a diverse candidate.

I did score well on the exam (but LSAT considerations is more about percentile for you than raw score). Again, I do not recommend shooting for a particular score that would bar you from considering an elite law school.

I hope this was helpful.

If you ever want to visit Stanford please let me know and we can exchange information. I am in my last year and can share my observations.

iknowiknow

Postby iknowiknow » Sat May 29, 2010 9:48 am

sls wrote:I feel that these posts are not accurate by and large.

Try to do the best you can on the exam (Don't stress over trying to reach a particular number).

I went to Wharton undergrad (W'04 concentration in business and public policy). I also had a comparable G.P.A. to yours.

Wharton does make a difference in admission, it is the most selective undergrad in the country ( Yes, I know that the Harvard college and Cal Tech are also very comparable).

I can speak for the admission into elite law schools (Particularly the schools that are regarded as the top 6). You need a total package to merit considerations. Great recommendations and a compelling personal statement do go along way. Also, the extracurriculars at Wharton or second to none and you should emphasize them in your applications. Additionally, if you have any professional or other significant experiences between law school and Wharton, then highlight that in the application as well. Diversity should also be emphasized, if you are a diverse candidate.

I did score well on the exam (but LSAT considerations is more about percentile for you than raw score). Again, I do not recommend shooting for a particular score that would bar you from considering an elite law school.

I hope this was helpful.

If you ever want to visit Stanford please let me know and we can exchange information. I am in my last year and can share my observations.

Oh goodness. This post is so wrong. I went to Wharton for undergrad too. I know my Wharton classmates feel the need to make Wharton undergrad out to be more than it is but saying that someone with a gpa comparable to a 3.13 can get into SLS is just so false and misleading. If you got into SLS then it must be you are a URM or else there just isn't any way. Even with a 180 on the LSAT, you still can't get into the Trinity if your gpa is a 3.13 unless you are a URM.

Please stop comparing my school to Harvard and Princeton, etc. Nobody really believes that it is and we just look bad by equating our school with the Harvard, Yale, Princetons of the world. People can look into the admission statistics of Wharton undergrad. It pains me to say this but our SAT average isn't close to Harvard or Cal Tech. I like to dump on the other Penn students but I think the SAT average for the rest of Penn is only 10 points lower. When I was a freshman I used to think I was better than the Wharton MBAs but now that I have worked for a few years I think it's the other way around.

sdv

Postby sdv » Sat May 29, 2010 10:34 am

There's a big difference between a Wharton MBA and a UPenn undergrad degree done in Wharton.

This is so wrong it makes me sick to my stomach. The Wharton MBA program won't take anyone who went to Wharton undergrad, as a rule, because 1. it's basically the EXACT same material but condensed and 2. the admissions committee believes that one with an undergrad degree from Wharton has absolutely no need or reason to get a masters, and if they do, then the school has failed them.

Now THIS is true. They'll care about as much as admissions committees would care if someone got a liberal arts degree from Princeton - as in, that's great for you, and helps give an idea of the kind of candidate you are, but a 3.13 from Wharton still counts less than a 3.14 from Kutztown. It's not because they're ignorant, it's just all about numbers, and you can't put an asterisk next to the average gpa of the school and say "well, the lower GPAs went to HARD schools". The other part of that comment, Penn caring about Penn, I can speak from personal experience that they DON'T CARE AT ALL. In fact, if you do really want to go to Penn Law, I'd highly recommend a pretty intense LOCI proving that you want to go to Penn Law on its own merits and not just because it's your alma mater. I got waitlisted there with a Penn undergrad degree, a 3.76, and a 174, primarily because I didn't include such a letter.

Good luck, though - If you're really interested in sports and entertainment with a 3.13 I'd recommend targeting UCLA and USC with a good LSAT score, those will give you better contacts. If you get an absurd score you could also target Columbia and nyu. Vandy is the only other school with specific Entertainment/Sports law contacts and programs, but you shouldn't expect to make any contacts or get much help from your professors if you go to school any place other than new york, LA, or Nashville. Penn would help you with that only in the sense that its strength is corporate law, which is the most common route one must travail to get into entertainment law down the road. Good luck!

Admissions committees will wonder why you did "notoriously" shitty in a "notoriously" easy undergrad major. You can study [strike]business[/strike] law at any school in the country and at the end of the day its still just [strike]business[/strike] law.

that revision makes as much sense as the original. Perhaps Cooley opened a business school and sent a troll to disparage Wharton?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat May 29, 2010 12:10 pm

You study the Black Scholes formulas? Why, exactly? I'm just curious what you guys do with it because, as I recall, that didn't turn out too well for them.

kenson

Postby kenson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

whitman wrote:You study the Black Scholes formulas? Why, exactly? I'm just curious what you guys do with it because, as I recall, that didn't turn out too well for them.

It teaches students how to more efficiently destroy hedgefunds

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:06 pm

kurama20 wrote:
cbreault wrote:

Thanks

No one will care about your 2 concentrations in business. They will care only marginally better that the concentrations were completed at Wharton. There's a big difference between a Wharton MBA and a UPenn undergrad degree done in Wharton. The "disillusioned" argument won't fly, because the simple question to be is asked is why didn't you simply change your major and pursue another course of study, especially since you decided to then pursue 2X the needed concentrations.

Also, you're taking the "LSAT" not the "LSATs," unless you plan on taking it multiple times.

For the top 20, I would say you need at least a 167, and that would only give you a chance at the lower top 20 to top 25.

Even for the lower top 20 to top 25 you'll probably need more like a 170.

Admissions committees will wonder why you did "notoriously" shitty in a "notoriously" easy undergrad major. You can study business at any school in the country and at the end of the day its still just business.

Wow you must be joking? Finance at Wharton is definitely not "notoriously easy' it involves things like Kepler's theorem and multivariable calculus, matrix algebra, and the Black Scholes formula. Realistically "notoriously easy" majors are the ones that most law school students ( and TLS posters) usually major in. They include: Political science, History, Comparative lit, and English.

I'm a poli sci and finance double major at a top private school. And honestly, I think my finance classes are harder, although writing is my strength and math most certainly is not (I am just really interested in the markets). But my GPA is about the same for both majors, but I do think I study more for the finance classes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:10 pm

167/168 for WUSTL, 170+ for lower T14.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

sls wrote:I feel that these posts are not accurate by and large.

I hope this was helpful.

You've confirmed what I've heard about Wharton kids. +1 for my not choosing Stanford.

Return to “What are my chances?”