For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:43 pm

X

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:43 pm

swheat wrote:
swheat wrote:You're an idiot.


+1


did you actually just +1 yourself?

housie07
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby housie07 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:49 am

.
Last edited by housie07 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am

Retake.

uknowme
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby uknowme » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:37 am

hkfortytwo wrote:
swheat wrote:
swheat wrote:You're an idiot.


+1


did you actually just +1 yourself?

this feels like a game of 'quit hitting yourself'

User avatar
schnecke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 am

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby schnecke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 am

all of the speculation about the relative "prestige" of various fulbright awards and the award in general seems beside the point to me (and pretty obnoxious, but whatev). the point is how you spent your year and what you got out of it. i mean, adcomms have access to the very same credentials that get you a fellowship in the first place. it's not like those credentials magically become better if you used them to beat out 500 people in one program rather than 50 in another. of course a rhodes is more impressive in this context than a fulbright -- not because of the numbers of competitors, but because a rhodes is a longer and arguably richer experience.

that said, i agree with people who are skeptical about her chances in the top 14, except for Berkeley, which I could imagine happening. i disagree with the people crowing "retake retake!!" -- plenty of competition already for the t14 next year already. :p

User avatar
playhero
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby playhero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am

conn09 wrote:Asian Female
3.9 from a Top 10 Undergrad
162 LSAT
Fulbright, and another giant big post grad fellowship

I told her to blanket the top 20 and throw in some CA schools

But specifially

Harvard
Berkeley
NYU
Hastings
Davis
UCLA
BC
BU

With Berkeley being her top choice

Ding at all. Try a few mid T1's and 40-60s.
schnecke wrote:of course a rhodes is more impressive in this context than a fulbright -- not because of the numbers of competitors, but because a rhodes is a longer and arguably richer experience.

They hand out Fulbrights like candy. I've had both a professor and an ex-roommate win them. Fulbright scholars don't have anything on Rhodes scholars. Rhodes scholars are gods amongst men.
legends159 wrote:A fulbright in the UK is very impressive

I find the fact that you can get a fulbright to the UK ironic. Though your assertion is most likely correct.

User avatar
schnecke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 am

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby schnecke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am

playhero wrote:
conn09 wrote:Asian Female
3.9 from a Top 10 Undergrad
162 LSAT
Fulbright, and another giant big post grad fellowship

I told her to blanket the top 20 and throw in some CA schools

But specifially

Harvard
Berkeley
NYU
Hastings
Davis
UCLA
BC
BU

With Berkeley being her top choice

Ding at all. Try a few mid T1's and 40-60s.
schnecke wrote:of course a rhodes is more impressive in this context than a fulbright -- not because of the numbers of competitors, but because a rhodes is a longer and arguably richer experience.

They hand out Fulbrights like candy. I've had both a professor and an ex-roommate win them. Fulbright scholars don't have anything on Rhodes scholars. Rhodes scholars are gods amongst men.
legends159 wrote:A fulbright in the UK is very impressive

I find the fact that you can get a fulbright to the UK ironic. Though your assertion is most likely correct.


you seem pretty insufferable, and not just on account of the icon. hth.

User avatar
playhero
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby playhero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 am

schnecke wrote:
playhero wrote:
conn09 wrote:Asian Female
3.9 from a Top 10 Undergrad
162 LSAT
Fulbright, and another giant big post grad fellowship

I told her to blanket the top 20 and throw in some CA schools

But specifially

Harvard
Berkeley
NYU
Hastings
Davis
UCLA
BC
BU

With Berkeley being her top choice

Ding at all. Try a few mid T1's and 40-60s.
schnecke wrote:of course a rhodes is more impressive in this context than a fulbright -- not because of the numbers of competitors, but because a rhodes is a longer and arguably richer experience.

They hand out Fulbrights like candy. I've had both a professor and an ex-roommate win them. Fulbright scholars don't have anything on Rhodes scholars. Rhodes scholars are gods amongst men.
legends159 wrote:A fulbright in the UK is very impressive

I find the fact that you can get a fulbright to the UK ironic. Though your assertion is most likely correct.


you seem pretty insufferable, and not just on account of the icon. hth.

You seem pretty ignorant. Both on the subject of award qualifications and the law school admissions game. If you found me sufferable, that would be the shock.

User avatar
schnecke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 am

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby schnecke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am

playhero wrote:
schnecke wrote:
playhero wrote:
conn09 wrote:Asian Female
3.9 from a Top 10 Undergrad
162 LSAT
Fulbright, and another giant big post grad fellowship

I told her to blanket the top 20 and throw in some CA schools

But specifially

Harvard
Berkeley
NYU
Hastings
Davis
UCLA
BC
BU

With Berkeley being her top choice

Ding at all. Try a few mid T1's and 40-60s.
schnecke wrote:of course a rhodes is more impressive in this context than a fulbright -- not because of the numbers of competitors, but because a rhodes is a longer and arguably richer experience.

They hand out Fulbrights like candy. I've had both a professor and an ex-roommate win them. Fulbright scholars don't have anything on Rhodes scholars. Rhodes scholars are gods amongst men.
legends159 wrote:A fulbright in the UK is very impressive

I find the fact that you can get a fulbright to the UK ironic. Though your assertion is most likely correct.


you seem pretty insufferable, and not just on account of the icon. hth.

You seem pretty ignorant. Both on the subject of award qualifications and the law school admissions game. If you found me sufferable, that would be the shock.


care to elaborate? i'm pretty familiar with the award qualifications for both programs - law school admissions, less so.

housie07
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby housie07 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am

.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 pm

housie07 wrote:.

QFT

conn09
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby conn09 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Just thought I'd update this thread due to the rampant speculation and pessimism for her cycle.

She got into Georgetown and Berkeley, w/l at NYU and straight rejection from Harvard.
She also had 15K/year Davis and Hastings.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm

conn09 wrote:Just thought I'd update this thread due to the rampant speculation and pessimism for her cycle.

She got into Georgetown and Berkeley, w/l at NYU and straight rejection from Harvard.
She also had 15K/year Davis and Hastings.


It's more realism than pessimism. The LSAT is the most important part of an application and quite frankly, her's wasn't very good. She's really lucky she got B imho. No chance getting in anywhere higher with that LSAT. Good for her though. Great school.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby observationalist » Sat May 01, 2010 11:32 am

conn09 wrote:Just thought I'd update this thread due to the rampant speculation and pessimism for her cycle.

She got into Georgetown and Berkeley, w/l at NYU and straight rejection from Harvard.
She also had 15K/year Davis and Hastings.


Glad to see at least two of the top programs were willing to give her a shot.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
conn09 wrote:Just thought I'd update this thread due to the rampant speculation and pessimism for her cycle.

She got into Georgetown and Berkeley, w/l at NYU and straight rejection from Harvard.
She also had 15K/year Davis and Hastings.


It's more realism than pessimism. The LSAT is the most important part of an application and quite frankly, her's wasn't very good. She's really lucky she got B imho. No chance getting in anywhere higher with that LSAT. Good for her though. Great school.


Except, in this case, it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby FuManChusco » Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
conn09 wrote:Just thought I'd update this thread due to the rampant speculation and pessimism for her cycle.

She got into Georgetown and Berkeley, w/l at NYU and straight rejection from Harvard.
She also had 15K/year Davis and Hastings.


It's more realism than pessimism. The LSAT is the most important part of an application and quite frankly, her's wasn't very good. She's really lucky she got B imho. No chance getting in anywhere higher with that LSAT. Good for her though. Great school.


Except, in this case, it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.


Semantics. Hindsight is 20/20.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 04, 2010 6:16 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.

Logic. Does. Not. Follow.

She's an exception, not the rule. Congrats to her on the great cycle though!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:24 pm

legends159 wrote:sounds like she doesn't care enough about law school to take the LSAT a little bit more seriously. She obviously had to have had a good SAT or ACT score to get into a top 10 UG so she's no dummy.


Legacies, sports, musical, performance or artistic talent. There are plenty of people with average intelligence at top schools. Hell the median LSAT for several Top 10 schools is 162. Meaning half do as well or worse.

She very well could have topped out.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.

Logic. Does. Not. Follow.

She's an exception, not the rule. Congrats to her on the great cycle though!


Yes. An exception because of her Fulbright. So, the logic does follow.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.

Logic. Does. Not. Follow.

She's an exception, not the rule. Congrats to her on the great cycle though!


Yes. An exception because of her Fulbright. So, the logic does follow.


Post hoc ergo propter hoc! You're going to tear up law school, kid.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

disco_barred wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:it was realism to bet she'd get into a T14. She got into two and got waitlisted at a T6.

Logic. Does. Not. Follow.

She's an exception, not the rule. Congrats to her on the great cycle though!


Yes. An exception because of her Fulbright. So, the logic does follow.


Post hoc ergo propter hoc! You're going to tear up law school, kid.


True, we don't know the cause, but that doesn't change the accuracy of the prediction. And I'm doing quite fine at Boalt, thanks.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Yes. An exception because of her Fulbright. So, the logic does follow.


Post hoc ergo propter hoc! You're going to tear up law school, kid.


True, we don't know the cause, but that doesn't change the accuracy of the prediction. And I'm doing quite fine at Boalt, thanks.

The accuracy of the prediction after the fact does not mean what you said was a logical conclusion.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Yes. An exception because of her Fulbright. So, the logic does follow.


Post hoc ergo propter hoc! You're going to tear up law school, kid.


True, we don't know the cause, but that doesn't change the accuracy of the prediction. And I'm doing quite fine at Boalt, thanks.

The accuracy of the prediction after the fact does not mean what you said was a logical conclusion.


No shit. But it does mean the prediction was accurate.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Post hoc ergo propter hoc! You're going to tear up law school, kid.


True, we don't know the cause, but that doesn't change the accuracy of the prediction. And I'm doing quite fine at Boalt, thanks.

The accuracy of the prediction after the fact does not mean what you said was a logical conclusion.


No shit. But it does mean the prediction was accurate.


Technically it just means it was precise.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HokieHi307, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests