For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
conn09

Silver

For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:50 am

Asian Female
3.9 from a Top 10 Undergrad
162 LSAT
Fulbright, and another giant big post grad fellowship

I told her to blanket the top 20 and throw in some CA schools

But specifially

Harvard
Berkeley
NYU
Hastings
Davis
UCLA
BC
BU

With Berkeley being her top choice

legends159

Silver

Re: For a friend: Fulbright, good GPA ok LSAT

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 am

tell her to retake

and is the other big fellowship a Marshall or Rhodes cause if so she'll likely get Boalt?

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:56 am

Not a Marshall or Rhodes. I'm heistant to say her other one because it'll out her. She did get a 4.0 while at Oxford one semester though.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 am

yeah then tell her to retake. She has a shot at Boalt but she also has a shot of being shut out of the T20.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 am

This was her retake score. She will be refusing to take the LSAT ever again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

She has a chance at Boalt because of the GPA, but her LSAT score will make it very, very tough everywhere else.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 am

Well if she's a really good friend, you should make it clear to her that she might not get into a T20 school and will have to pick a regional powerhouse instead of a national name brand.

Furthermore, is there a reason why she refuses to take the LSATs again? Even 3 points will make increase her chances at anything outside the T14 dramatically. If she simply won't do it maybe law school is not something she cares deeply enough about?

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am

why refuse to take the lsat? because it's hard and stressful. i guarantee school is worse. if she's afraid of the lsat again, she should be more afraid of law school. and if there's a language barrier now, school won't be that accommodating for it.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am

She probably won't get into any T20 except MAYBE GULC PT. Even that is a real long shot.

She would probably get into a few 20-30, and most 30-50.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am

If she can get into a top 10 UG she is smart enough to score a 165 or higher on the LSATs. Maybe her study strategies were bad or she wasn't committed enough to it? She should take a course, hire a tutor, do whatever is necessary to score better if she really wants to go to law school. Even if she doesn't get into a better school than she would with a 162, a 165 would guarantee her a lot more scholarship money.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am

uknowme wrote:why refuse to take the lsat? because it's hard and stressful. i guarantee school is worse. if she's afraid of the lsat again, she should be more afraid of law school. and if there's a language barrier now, school won't be that accommodating for it.
yeah .... not sure I'm worried about a Fulbright scholar having a hard time in class. This is up there as far as softs go. Worst case, she's going Berkeley. Best case, HYS wants themselves some Fulbright scholars.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am

swheat wrote:She probably won't get into any T20 except MAYBE GULC PT. Even that is a real long shot.

You're an idiot.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
uknowme wrote:why refuse to take the lsat? because it's hard and stressful. i guarantee school is worse. if she's afraid of the lsat again, she should be more afraid of law school. and if there's a language barrier now, school won't be that accommodating for it.
yeah .... not sure I'm worried about a Fulbright scholar having a hard time in class. This is up there as far as softs go. Worst case, she's going Berkeley. Best case, HYS wants themselves some Fulbright scholars.
wrong is so many ways.

Fulbright scholars are a dime a dozen. A Marshall or Rhodes on the other hand is a significant soft.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:34 am

legends159 wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:
wrong is so many ways.

Fulbright scholars are a dime a dozen. A Marshall or Rhodes on the other hand is a significant soft.
Nevermind. 800 of them minted a year.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am

yeah I was just going to post this:

http://www.cies.org/schlr_directories/u ... r_name.htm

list of 2008-2009 winners. The list is very very long

only award that are game changers are Rhodes (best); Marshall (close second); Truman (distant third).

custom_concern

New

Post by custom_concern » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
Nah, you're an idiot. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Berkeley is a very, very long shot with that LSAT regardless of softs. HYS are 100% out.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 am

custom_concern wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:
Nah, you're an idiot. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Berkeley is a very, very long shot with that LSAT regardless of softs. HYS are 100% out.
Yeah, I'm starting to realize this. Especially considering swheat had the same numbers and knows what those numbers can bring in. My bad. Apparently the Fullbright isn't close to being in the same league as a Rhodes or Marshall scholar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
swheat wrote:She probably won't get into any T20 except MAYBE GULC PT. Even that is a real long shot.

You're an idiot.
?

Only URMs get into T20s with 162 LSAT. Fulbright is a great soft but it's still just a soft. I knew a guy with outstanding softs, 4.0 gpa, 162 LSAT that applied to most T20 and got rejected at all of them. The best schools he got into were BU and BC. See link below.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OhYeah1

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:49 am

swheat wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:

You're an idiot.
?

Only URMs get into T20s with 162 LSAT. Fulbright is a great soft but it's still just a soft. I knew a guy with outstanding softs, 4.0 gpa, 162 LSAT that applied to most T20 and got rejected at all of them. The best schools he got into were BU and BC. See link below.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OhYeah1
Man, that sucks. I get that the LSAT is important, but sheesh. It seems like a perfect GPA at a strong school should get you in at a T14.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:52 am

Her other fellowship is one that only 30 people got.

And also, its numerically impossible for URMs to be the only people in the T20 with LSATs below 162. There aren't enough of them in the T20 for that to be possible.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 am

conn09 wrote:Her other fellowship is one that only 30 people got.

And also, its numerically impossible for URMs to be the only people in the T20 with LSATs below 162. There aren't enough of them in the T20 for that to be possible.
Evidence?

Here's USC on LSN....theres only one admit below 163 that doesn't identify as URM, and they could just be withholding that for some reason.
http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Of course it isn't impossible, but the odds are greatly against her.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am

Here is UCLA

http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Only 3 admits below 164, 2 of them are URM and the other 1 is a non-URM guy from TLS...I know he has come from significant economic hardship.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:59 am

swheat wrote:
conn09 wrote:Her other fellowship is one that only 30 people got.

Evidence?

Here's USC on LSN....theres only one admit below 163 that doesn't identify as URM, and they could just be withholding that for some reason.
http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Of course it isn't impossible, but the odds are greatly against her.

You admitted that its possible.

But USC let in over 200 people last year LSATs below 165. And the racial make up of their school tells me they can't all be URMs. A majority probably, but not an overwhelming majority. (that is of course we assume that every URM there has a score below 165)

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC4852.pdf

Not to derail. Thank you for the advice

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:01 pm

swheat wrote:Here is UCLA

http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Only 3 admits below 164, 2 of them are URM and the other 1 is a non-URM guy from TLS...I know he has come from significant economic hardship.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC4837.pdf

Over 200. There arent enough URMs to be all 200.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Just because USC has 100 URMs and admitted 200+ sub 162s does not tell you anything about the other ~100 sub 162 admits. They could have all been URMs that chose other schools, or as you suggest then could have been non-URMs.

You just can't draw a conclusion from these data.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”