LSAT practice 167 GPA 3.0 Can I go to Law School? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mylife

New

LSAT practice 167 GPA 3.0 Can I go to Law School?

Post by mylife » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 am

Up until a few days ago I NEVER considered law school an option.
I'm so lost and honestly don't know if I have a shot. I'm sure obnoxious people post on here just to have people tell them how fantastic they are, but promise, I'm not one of them! I just want some honest advice...

I'm 20, female, and a sophomore at a top 40 liberal arts college, my GPA is a 3.0 ( I don't think It's going much higher, I screwed myself over freshman year) and I'm a double major in English Lit & Environmental Science.
I took a practice LSAT at a workshop my college offered yesterday for fun, and my score was a 167. I'd never seen an LSAT and had no idea what would be on it, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was logic!
I've been looking online and the statistics say it is adequate, and I think I can pull it up to a 170 if I study or take a practice class.
I don't know if family is relevant, but my dad is the owner of his law firm and went to Michigan, and my mom is an executive parter at a large DC firm and went to Boston College.
Thanks.

rayiner

Platinum

Re: LSAT practice 167 GPA 3.0 Can I go to Law School?

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 am

That was exactly my diagnostic and I ended up with 175+. You should be aiming for 180 on the real thing. If you can pull off 173+, you can get into some good schools (ranked 19-30), and possibly even a top school (ranked 8-14).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Look at the GPA and LSAT ranges. Your GPA will be below the 25th percentile at any school worth going to, but if you can get a high LSAT (above the school's 75th percentile) you should have a shot...
Last edited by rayiner on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 am

haha you have a very bright future ahead of you. you seem like a smart girl. to put things in perspective i took my diagnostic at 146 and bumped it up to a 160. i was practicing around 165 though. but with some work you can easily break 170 and then you could even go to a school like UT, USC, UCLA, or better! Hell even Michigan. So just keep studying hard, and try try try to raise your gpa to like a 3.2, and make sure you do well, and you will go to a top law school. best of luck. i hope this is somewhat inspiring.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 am

If you're only a soph and have a 3.0 gpa now you can pull that up to at least a 3.2. But before you get ahead of yourself, think about why you really would want to become a lawyer. It's still early for you, no need to make a decision this very second. But whether you eventually go to law school or not, bring that gpa up just in case...if grad/professional school might be in your future you'll be much better off with a higher gpa. Good luck...and I'm glad to see you're seriously thinking about your future already.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am

You'll be fine.

Get some good upward grade trending in there and some nice softs.

A 170+ will, IMO, get you into the T25 door, if not higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitDecision

New

Post by SplitDecision » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 am

1)Figure out how to get better grades! Reevaluate your study habits. Mimic successful students. Find someone dumb with a high GPA, and do what they do. Go to that how to do well in college section of B+N and read as much as u can. It may be 95% BS, but take the time to dig something out that will be effective for you.
(whatever you end up doing this will be a good experience)

2)Keep going on that LSAT! My first experience with one got me in the 150s and I finished with a 175. This means you should probably be aiming for around 182.

3) Tell Yale thanks for the offer, but you think they're a little overrated.

mylife

New

Post by mylife » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to give me suggestions/advice. I'll jump on the studying and practicing for the lSAT and a top 30 school would be fantastic if I have a shot!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”