Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PDaddy

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby PDaddy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 am

chadstew55 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:I'd say 4.0 from No-Name Uni. is better than 3.8 from Yale.

lets not get carried away... :?

Agreed.

All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 am

sbrown83 wrote:From what I can tell, it makes a difference if your undergrad is Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, or Swarthmore. Otherwise not really.

lol @ UChicago being on the list :D

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:55 am

PDaddy wrote:All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.

No way, she is wrong. A 4.0 is better than a 3.5 no matter the schools. Don't listen her ^

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 pm

PDaddy wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:I'd say 4.0 from No-Name Uni. is better than 3.8 from Yale.

Agreed.

All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.

Let's not get carried away...

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:doesn't that seem... ridiculous?.. like if I knew I was going to law school, I should have just gone to an easier school (again, no offense to easier schools) which probably would have boosted my gpa.

I cant see how that makes sense.

"Easier schools?"

Ivies have the highest median GPA.

So for the purposes of your statement, Ivy League schools are "easier."

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:

Agreed.

LOL WUUUUUUUUUUT?!?!?

Let's not get carried away...

University of Phoenix should be added to that list, the most prestigious online degree. <--- Speaking of carried away LOL

sciencedude

Postby sciencedude » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:42 am

law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends
it's all numbers, bottom line, and law school's a business at the end of the day
and it's always 'good business' to be ranked high
and to be ranked high, you want your incoming class to have high gpa

i am somebody who's preparing to apply to law school with a 2.8 engineering gpa from cal tech, and lemme tell ya, it's frustrating to think about how a kid from cal state fullerton 4.0 in anthropolgy has a shot hat HYS while i have no shot in hell
but i understand the game, and it's my fault for not 'knowing' that i wanted to be a lawyer at age 12

in all honesty, if i knew a high school kid who aspired to be a lawyer, i'd advise him to go to the easiest school, do the easiest major, and use his free time to study for the LAST for 4 years and ace the test along with a 4.0

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 am

sciencedude wrote:law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends
it's all numbers, bottom line, and law school's a business at the end of the day

i am somebody who's preparing to apply to law school with a 2.8 engineering gpa from cal tech, and lemme tell ya, it's frustrating to think about how a kid from cal state fullerton 4.0 in anthropolgy has a shot hat HYS while i have no shot in hell
but i understand the game, and it's my fault for not 'knowing' that i wanted to be a lawyer at age 12

in all honesty, if i knew a high school kid who aspired to be a lawyer, i'd advise him to go to the easiest school, do the easiest major, and use his free time to study for the LAST for 4 years and ace the test along with a 4.0

Well 2.8 vs. 4.0 is most definitely a numbers game.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 am

sciencedude wrote:law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends

You should have worked harder in school.

What's a Caltech?

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:52 pm

I would say the factors in evaluating an applicants GPA rank as follows: raw GPA>difficulty of major>UG institution.

Harvard 3.5 > Florida International 3.5
Florida International 3.5 Engineering > Harvard 3.5 Communications

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Apply to Northwestern, they took my 2.8 in engineering.

Luckily I picked EE, which is huge in patent law. Best prelaw major there is.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:I would say the factors in evaluating an applicants GPA rank as follows: raw GPA>difficulty of major>UG institution.

Harvard 3.5 > Florida International 3.5
Florida International 3.5 Engineering > Harvard 3.5 Communications

Not really.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:well f*ck me. I figured the better ranked university would have helped so... that sucks.

went to UNC.... at least the Heels won the championship, but I guess that's all I got.

So this whole question was centered around a GPA earned at UNC? I thought we were talking H,Y,P,C, U Penn!

Seriously the idea of a "Public Ivy" is BS. This coming from someone who used to buy into the whole idea. Ivy is Ivy, public is public, #'s are #'s.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

OnWisconsin wrote:
TarHeel09 wrote:well f*ck me. I figured the better ranked university would have helped so... that sucks.

went to UNC.... at least the Heels won the championship, but I guess that's all I got.

So this whole question was centered around a GPA earned at UNC? I thought we were talking H,Y,P,C, U Penn!

Seriously the idea of a "Public Ivy" is BS. This coming from someone who used to buy into the whole idea. Ivy is Ivy, public is public, #'s are #'s.

<3 Simpsons....

Cellmate: Hiya pal! They put two harmless white collar criminals in the same cell. What luck, eh?

Burns: I was afraid you'd be some tattooed bruiser.

Cellmate: Well... they don't turn out too many of those at Dartmouth.

Burns: Dartmouth!! *recoils in horror* Get me away from this hideous brute at once! At once! Do you hear me!

Cellmate: Got my masters from the University of Virginia, it's a public ivy.

Burns: Guards!

Return to “What are my chances?”