Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:47 am

TarHeel09 wrote:well f*ck me. I figured the better ranked university would have helped so... that sucks.

went to UNC.... at least the Heels won the championship, but I guess that's all I got.


Considering the number of UNC athletes who take several tries to qualify then graduate a few years later, it doesn't appear the academics there are all that tough.

User avatar
reasontobelieve
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby reasontobelieve » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 am

I think it depends on what law school we're talking about. Someone said earlier that a 4.0 at a no name is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy. This is NOT true if you're applying to YLS and probably not at SLS either.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:06 pm

reasontobelieve wrote:I think it depends on what law school we're talking about. Someone said earlier that a 4.0 at a no name is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy. This is NOT true if you're applying to YLS and probably not at SLS either.


I think a 4.0 at a no-name is better than a 3.8 at even HYPS from the admissions standpoint of any school, except if the person who got the 4.0 majored in something like dance or communications.

If we changed that to a 3.9, then I'd say the HYPS 3.8 > no name school 3.9. I'd also say a 4.0 from a no name school with a questionable major is worse than a 3.8 with a solid major at a lot of schools.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby capitalacq » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm

huckabees wrote:
reasontobelieve wrote:I think it depends on what law school we're talking about. Someone said earlier that a 4.0 at a no name is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy. This is NOT true if you're applying to YLS and probably not at SLS either.


I think a 4.0 at a no-name is better than a 3.8 at even HYPS from the admissions standpoint of any school, except if the person who got the 4.0 majored in something like dance or communications.


Absolutely not the case.

User avatar
spinsta
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby spinsta » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:38 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:doesn't that seem... ridiculous?.. like if I knew I was going to law school, I should have just gone to an easier school (again, no offense to easier schools) which probably would have boosted my gpa.

I cant see how that makes sense.


A lot of the top schools also suffer from grade inflation. At my undergrad institution, the median grade for nearly every class I have been in is a B-. I have lots of friends at Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Cornell (36 kids in my HS graduating class alone went to Cornell). Most of them tell me that the median grades in lots of their classes are A-. Not all schools are this way, but it seems that the "top" UG schools seem to suffer more from students who feel "entitled" to get straight-A's b/c that's what they got in HS. Just a thought...

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 pm

capitalacq wrote:
huckabees wrote:
reasontobelieve wrote:I think it depends on what law school we're talking about. Someone said earlier that a 4.0 at a no name is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy. This is NOT true if you're applying to YLS and probably not at SLS either.


I think a 4.0 at a no-name is better than a 3.8 at even HYPS from the admissions standpoint of any school, except if the person who got the 4.0 majored in something like dance or communications.


Absolutely not the case.


Based on?

riccardo426
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby riccardo426 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:25 pm

I think the 4.0 at podunk U is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy for admissions. I have a 3.8 from an Ivy, 3.95 in the last two years, and got WL at Berkeley, UVA and Georgetown for example with a lower end LSAT and great softs.


Us Ivy leaguers really like to judge people by UG and whatnot, but probably only half of the really gifted HS students choose top privates, while others simply choose to dominate at their respective state school for financial or personal reasons. I am fully convinced at this point that someone who can pull 3.95+ in any UG* and a 170+ LSAT has the work ethic and smarts to be a top student at an Ivy too.


* I still am not sure what I think about Community College and Online Courses, so maybe limit my statement to four year brick and mortar institutions.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 pm

riccardo426 wrote:I think the 4.0 at podunk U is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy for admissions. I have a 3.8 from an Ivy, 3.95 in the last two years, and got WL at Berkeley, UVA and Georgetown for example with a lower end LSAT and great softs.


Us Ivy leaguers really like to judge people by UG and whatnot, but probably only half of the really gifted HS students choose top privates, while others simply choose to dominate at their respective state school for financial or personal reasons. I am fully convinced at this point that someone who can pull 3.95+ in any UG* and a 170+ LSAT has the work ethic and smarts to be a top student at an Ivy too.


* I still am not sure what I think about Community College and Online Courses, so maybe limit my statement to four year brick and mortar institutions.


Those waitlists seem odd, esp GULC :?

I can understand UVA, as they do have pretty high LSAT ranges and are having difficulties managing class size, but I don't really understand the results at the other two, despite Berkeley's reputation of being "unpredictable."

riccardo426
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby riccardo426 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 pm

huckabees wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:I think the 4.0 at podunk U is better than a 3.8 at an Ivy for admissions. I have a 3.8 from an Ivy, 3.95 in the last two years, and got WL at Berkeley, UVA and Georgetown for example with a lower end LSAT and great softs.


Us Ivy leaguers really like to judge people by UG and whatnot, but probably only half of the really gifted HS students choose top privates, while others simply choose to dominate at their respective state school for financial or personal reasons. I am fully convinced at this point that someone who can pull 3.95+ in any UG* and a 170+ LSAT has the work ethic and smarts to be a top student at an Ivy too.


* I still am not sure what I think about Community College and Online Courses, so maybe limit my statement to four year brick and mortar institutions.


Those waitlists seem odd, esp GULC :?

I can understand UVA, as they do have pretty high LSAT ranges and are having difficulties managing class size, but I don't really understand the results at the other two, despite Berkeley's reputation of being "unpredictable."



My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.

I'm thinking it will also do me in for WL at my top choice, Penn, who has yet to get back to me.

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Cleareyes » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm

riccardo426 wrote:My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.


Sounds reasonable, but also destroys your argument, don't you think? I had good enough stats for Harvard, applied late, and got waitlisted at Berk, UVA, and GULC. So we don't know whether your Ivy status helped or hindered you, because of your lateness.

Edit: Oh and I was waitlisted Penn as well.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.


Sounds reasonable, but also destroys your argument, don't you think? I had good enough stats for Harvard but still got waitlisted at Berk, UVA, and GULC. So we don't know whether your Ivy status helped or hindered you, because of your lateness.

Edit: Oh and I was waitlisted Penn as well.


You think it may hinder in certain cases?

Or was that just a turn of phrase?

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Cleareyes » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:46 pm

huckabees wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.


Sounds reasonable, but also destroys your argument, don't you think? I had good enough stats for Harvard but still got waitlisted at Berk, UVA, and GULC. So we don't know whether your Ivy status helped or hindered you, because of your lateness.

Edit: Oh and I was waitlisted Penn as well.


You think it may hinder in certain cases?


No. I was just saying that you can't tell how it influenced the cycle as a variable because the lateness variable has such a strong effect (especially in promoting waitlists)

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
huckabees wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.


Sounds reasonable, but also destroys your argument, don't you think? I had good enough stats for Harvard but still got waitlisted at Berk, UVA, and GULC. So we don't know whether your Ivy status helped or hindered you, because of your lateness.

Edit: Oh and I was waitlisted Penn as well.


You think it may hinder in certain cases?


No. I was just saying that you can't tell how it influenced the cycle as a variable because the lateness variable has such a strong effect (especially in promoting waitlists)


Yeah, I agree.

I do think that Ivy status helps you stand out later in the cycle for the very top schools, but there is a lot of evidence that MVBP prefers earlier applicants, to the point where it's almost impossible to be admitted past February with a set of numbers that had 80%+ admit rates in December.
Last edited by huckabees on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riccardo426
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby riccardo426 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
huckabees wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:My current explanation for GULC and B WL is that I applied late (mid-January). Little did I know that that's a death sentence at Berk - got WL after Faccom review.


Sounds reasonable, but also destroys your argument, don't you think? I had good enough stats for Harvard but still got waitlisted at Berk, UVA, and GULC. So we don't know whether your Ivy status helped or hindered you, because of your lateness.

Edit: Oh and I was waitlisted Penn as well.


You think it may hinder in certain cases?


No. I was just saying that you can't tell how it influenced the cycle as a variable because the lateness variable has such a strong effect (especially in promoting waitlists)


Yeah that's a good point. I also got into Michigan, which I attribute to my softs more than anything, and UCLA which I think may have been influenced by my ivy status. Applied at the same time as B, G and V.

But Harvard and Columbia did not even take a peek at my application and I got rejected pretty quickly. Though with a 167, even if I had an ability to telepathically cure cancer it probably wouldn't have helped.

Cain
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Cain » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:04 pm

So, have we come to a conclusion? Or are we still unsure about this subject?

chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby chadstew55 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Cain wrote:So, have we come to a conclusion? Or are we still unsure about this subject?

haha!

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 am

Cain wrote:So, have we come to a conclusion? Or are we still unsure about this subject?


Yes, we have a solid conclusion.

Undergraduate institution never helps until it does.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 am

Bosque wrote:
Cain wrote:So, have we come to a conclusion? Or are we still unsure about this subject?


Yes, we have a solid conclusion.

Undergraduate institution never helps until it does.


I think you're one of my favorite posters. That seriously got a real-life laugh.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Cain wrote:So, have we come to a conclusion? Or are we still unsure about this subject?


Yes, we have a solid conclusion.

Undergraduate institution never helps until it does.


I think you're one of my favorite posters. That seriously got a real-life laugh.

8)

teege
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby teege » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:I am not saying any state school. I'm talking about the state schools that are ranked high v. the state schools that are ranked low.

I mean lets stop beating around the bush. Some schools are better and harder than others, yet if you get a 4.0 at an easier one, some people think schools recognize that all the same. I'm saying that if that is true, it's crap.

It has nothing to do with state schools v. private or whatever. Its good schools v. bad, or harder v. easier.

some state schools might fall into this category, some might not.


And UNC may be easier to get a 4.0 than all of the other state schools in NC. FWIW, I know plenty of people at Ivies and I am pretty sure it was easier to get a very high GPA than at my non-Ivy.

Why are you so bitter? Sub-3.0 GPA?

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby huckabees » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:34 pm

teege wrote:
TarHeel09 wrote:I am not saying any state school. I'm talking about the state schools that are ranked high v. the state schools that are ranked low.

I mean lets stop beating around the bush. Some schools are better and harder than others, yet if you get a 4.0 at an easier one, some people think schools recognize that all the same. I'm saying that if that is true, it's crap.

It has nothing to do with state schools v. private or whatever. Its good schools v. bad, or harder v. easier.

some state schools might fall into this category, some might not.


And UNC may be easier to get a 4.0 than all of the other state schools in NC. FWIW, I know plenty of people at Ivies and I am pretty sure it was easier to get a very high GPA than at my non-Ivy.

Why are you so bitter? Sub-3.0 GPA?


That may be true, but FWIW, I know dozens of people at a state school (T-20 in state school rankings) who say that it is easier than high school and who worked less than they did in high school.

I do think it sucks for people who go to no name schools that are still difficult educationally.

User avatar
JTX
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 pm

bump

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

I'll let you guys know how my law school admissions process goes from Dook. :twisted:
However, I think undergraduate major plays a bigger role than undergrad school attended, if we want to whine about college being hard...
Engineers, math majors, chem majors, physics majors, pre-meds all take classes in which it's really hard to get an A in or even a B... the humanities brats have it a lot easier. I think this is true at any school you go to.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I'll let you guys know how my law school admissions process goes from Dook. :twisted:
However, I think undergraduate major plays a bigger role than undergrad school attended, if we want to whine about college being hard...
Engineers, math majors, chem majors, physics majors, pre-meds all take classes in which it's really hard to get an A in or even a B... the humanities brats have it a lot easier. I think this is true at any school you go to.


Ohhhh heyyyy I iz a Duke guy now too

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 am

How many times has this been asked?!?!?

We all know that it really does not matter.

Someone with a 4.0 and 170 from TTTTT state school will have an edge over someone with a 3.8 and a 170 from an ivy. Schools are numbers whores and they admit it and say it is because of the rankings! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a high LSAT in the 99th and call it a day.

/thread




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests