Does a high ranked UG school make a difference? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PDaddy

Gold

Re: Does a high ranked UG school make a difference?

Post by PDaddy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 am

chadstew55 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:I'd say 4.0 from No-Name Uni. is better than 3.8 from Yale.
lets not get carried away... :?
Agreed.

All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 am

sbrown83 wrote:From what I can tell, it makes a difference if your undergrad is Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, or Swarthmore. Otherwise not really.
lol @ UChicago being on the list :D

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:55 am

PDaddy wrote: All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.
No way, she is wrong. A 4.0 is better than a 3.5 no matter the schools. Don't listen her ^

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 pm

PDaddy wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:I'd say 4.0 from No-Name Uni. is better than 3.8 from Yale.
Agreed.

All else held equal, a 4.0 from a Cal State school like Fullerton is not going to trump even a 3.5 from HYPS or even Brown or Northwestern. In fact, I don't think it would even trump a 3.5 from NYU.
Let's not get carried away...

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:doesn't that seem... ridiculous?.. like if I knew I was going to law school, I should have just gone to an easier school (again, no offense to easier schools) which probably would have boosted my gpa.

I cant see how that makes sense.
"Easier schools?"

Ivies have the highest median GPA.

So for the purposes of your statement, Ivy League schools are "easier."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:
Agreed.

LOL WUUUUUUUUUUT?!?!?

Let's not get carried away...
University of Phoenix should be added to that list, the most prestigious online degree. <--- Speaking of carried away LOL

sciencedude

New

Post by sciencedude » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:42 am

law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends
it's all numbers, bottom line, and law school's a business at the end of the day
and it's always 'good business' to be ranked high
and to be ranked high, you want your incoming class to have high gpa

i am somebody who's preparing to apply to law school with a 2.8 engineering gpa from cal tech, and lemme tell ya, it's frustrating to think about how a kid from cal state fullerton 4.0 in anthropolgy has a shot hat HYS while i have no shot in hell
but i understand the game, and it's my fault for not 'knowing' that i wanted to be a lawyer at age 12

in all honesty, if i knew a high school kid who aspired to be a lawyer, i'd advise him to go to the easiest school, do the easiest major, and use his free time to study for the LAST for 4 years and ace the test along with a 4.0

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 am

sciencedude wrote:law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends
it's all numbers, bottom line, and law school's a business at the end of the day

i am somebody who's preparing to apply to law school with a 2.8 engineering gpa from cal tech, and lemme tell ya, it's frustrating to think about how a kid from cal state fullerton 4.0 in anthropolgy has a shot hat HYS while i have no shot in hell
but i understand the game, and it's my fault for not 'knowing' that i wanted to be a lawyer at age 12

in all honesty, if i knew a high school kid who aspired to be a lawyer, i'd advise him to go to the easiest school, do the easiest major, and use his free time to study for the LAST for 4 years and ace the test along with a 4.0
Well 2.8 vs. 4.0 is most definitely a numbers game.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 am

sciencedude wrote:law school seems to follow the same trend i've observed from medical schools, from observing my pre-med friends

You should have worked harder in school.

What's a Caltech?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:52 pm

I would say the factors in evaluating an applicants GPA rank as follows: raw GPA>difficulty of major>UG institution.

Harvard 3.5 > Florida International 3.5
Florida International 3.5 Engineering > Harvard 3.5 Communications

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Apply to Northwestern, they took my 2.8 in engineering.

Luckily I picked EE, which is huge in patent law. Best prelaw major there is.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:I would say the factors in evaluating an applicants GPA rank as follows: raw GPA>difficulty of major>UG institution.

Harvard 3.5 > Florida International 3.5
Florida International 3.5 Engineering > Harvard 3.5 Communications
Not really.

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 pm

TarHeel09 wrote:well f*ck me. I figured the better ranked university would have helped so... that sucks.

went to UNC.... at least the Heels won the championship, but I guess that's all I got.

So this whole question was centered around a GPA earned at UNC? I thought we were talking H,Y,P,C, U Penn!

Seriously the idea of a "Public Ivy" is BS. This coming from someone who used to buy into the whole idea. Ivy is Ivy, public is public, #'s are #'s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

OnWisconsin wrote:
TarHeel09 wrote:well f*ck me. I figured the better ranked university would have helped so... that sucks.

went to UNC.... at least the Heels won the championship, but I guess that's all I got.

So this whole question was centered around a GPA earned at UNC? I thought we were talking H,Y,P,C, U Penn!

Seriously the idea of a "Public Ivy" is BS. This coming from someone who used to buy into the whole idea. Ivy is Ivy, public is public, #'s are #'s.
<3 Simpsons....

Cellmate: Hiya pal! They put two harmless white collar criminals in the same cell. What luck, eh?

Burns: I was afraid you'd be some tattooed bruiser.

Cellmate: Well... they don't turn out too many of those at Dartmouth.

Burns: Dartmouth!! *recoils in horror* Get me away from this hideous brute at once! At once! Do you hear me!

Cellmate: Got my masters from the University of Virginia, it's a public ivy.

Burns: Guards!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”