Accepted at WUSTL

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jason321123
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am

Accepted at WUSTL

Postby Jason321123 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Soft factors:
- Graduated in 3 years with a double major in English and History.
- Worked for 2 years helping run family business.
- Teaching English in high school in Korea for 1 year.
- Solid recommendation letters from the principal here in Korea and from the head teacher for whom I'm working under. (FYI, its a government job).
- In state in Texas

I was wondering where I should apply for safeties/softs/long.
Safeties: University of Boston / University of Texas, Austin / UCLA / SMU
Softs: UC Berk, Cornell, University of Virginia, Georgetown, Fordham
Reaches: NYU, University of Chicago, UPENN, Columbia

Any other insight as to which schools I should/could apply to that would be good would be awesome, as well as chances of getting in. Thanks again.
Last edited by Jason321123 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Jason321123 wrote:Soft factors:
- Graduated in 3 years with a double major in English and History.
- Worked for 2 years helping run family business.
- Teaching English in high school in Korea for 1 year.
- Solid recommendation letters from the principal here in Korea and from the head teacher for whom I'm working under. (FYI, its a government job).
- In state in Texas

I was wondering where I should apply for safeties/softs/long.
Safeties: University of Boston / University of Texas, Austin / UCLA / SMU
Softs: UC Berk, Cornell, University of Virginia, Georgetown, Fordham
Reaches: NYU, University of Chicago, UPENN, Columbia

Any other insight as to which schools I should/could apply to that would be good would be awesome, as well as chances of getting in. Thanks again.


I'm from Boston and have never heard of the University of Boston before.

BU, Texas, UCLA are not going to be safeties IMO

Edit: I realize this came across as a bit rude. I think you are being a bit unrealistic with your safeties, targets, and reaches. Good luck.
Last edited by geoanthem on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Cleareyes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Are you an URM? Because of if not I think you're being a wee bit optimistic about those "softs" or targets with that LSAT score.

happy19
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby happy19 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 pm

your safeties are more like targets except smu, your targets ("softs") are reaches, and your reaches are super reaches

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Are you an URM? Because of if not I think you're being a wee bit optimistic about those "softs" or targets with that LSAT score.


+1

User avatar
IHeartNewYork
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby IHeartNewYork » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 pm

As someone with the EXACT same stats, I can safely say your list is a wee bit optimistic.

NYU and Cornell were my crazy-just-for-fun super reaches and I was quickly rejected at both. Just sayin'... BU is probably a decent target though.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

happy19 wrote:your safeties are more like targets except smu, your targets ("softs") are reaches, and your reaches are super reaches


TITCR

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Hook 'Em » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 pm

geoanthem wrote:
I'm from Boston and have never heard of the University of Boston before.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... _SL500.jpg

Somebody
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:18 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Somebody » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 pm

You will be rejected (not even wait-listed) by Texas. Even in-state. I'm sorry.

Jason321123
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Jason321123 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:25 pm

For those that are interested in this thread from a while back, I've decided to update you guys on what happened.
I also added a couple of other schools and removed some which I has a *

Safeties: Boston University (Waitlisted)
University of Texas, Austin (Waitlisted)
UCLA (No word yet)
SMU (Waitlisted) WTF?
UC Davis* (Accepted)
University of Minnesota* (Waitlisted)

Softs:
WUSTL* (Held and accepted)
UC Berk (Rejected)
Cornell (No word)
University of Virginia (Rejected)
Fordham (Held) (WTF?)
Duke (Rejected)
Notre Dame* (Waitlisted)
USC* (Rejected)

Reaches: NYU (Rejected)
University of Chicago (Rejected)
UPENN (Rejected)
Columbia (Rejected)

I was not rejected from Texas but was on the waitlist. I was waitlisted at a lot of schools actually. Currently, I'm pretty happy that I got into WUSTL though. So no worries. I like their program and whatnot. I would have to admit my schools were a bit weird in terms of what I was thinking, but I do not think I would have gotten so many waitlists considering my application's softs...if I didn't apply so late into the cycle (most of my apps went complete in February of 2010)...Lol....Oh well, best luck to the rest of you.
Last edited by Jason321123 on Sat May 01, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby jarofsoup » Sat May 01, 2010 3:33 pm

I think you skipped applying to a lot of schools that you had a chance at like GWU part time, UC Hastings, Boston College, American, GULC part time

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:07 am

You got held then accepted at WUSTL with a 163/3.78? You basically won the lottery. That acceptance makes your cycle a major win. That's all. Your softs aren't really that special - check out what a lot of others have done on LSN. I don't mean to downplay what are nice achievements, but game-changing softs are very hard to come by.

Congratulations, though. No matter what, you've got a T20 in your pocket.

LateNight
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby LateNight » Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 am

Consider yourself lucky! Did you get any $?

WUSTL is my target school my GPA is exact as yours. I figure I need a 167 to even get in. This gives me hope.

LateNight
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby LateNight » Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:You got held then accepted at WUSTL with a 163/3.78? You basically won the lottery. That acceptance makes your cycle a major win.


TITCR... I don't know how you managed to pull that one off.. are you an URM?

Edit: http://law.wustl.edu/llmtax/index.aspx

Jason321123
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Jason321123 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

No, I'm not a URM, at least I don't presume to be, seeing as I'm Asian? lol...No, it just seems like the previous poster mentioned, I won the lottery. All the right things fell into place. So yeah, all good. No money though, but no biggie, I'm blessed to be in a relatively strong financial situation at the moment. So :) Good luck. Yeah, at the moment I'm actually waitlisted on a lot of schools...Vanderbilt, UT, BU, University of Minnesota, etc. So yeah, my advice is sell yourself well and spend the money on a lot of application fees...lol.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:You got held then accepted at WUSTL with a 163/3.78? You basically won the lottery. That acceptance makes your cycle a major win. That's all. Your softs aren't really that special - check out what a lot of others have done on LSN. I don't mean to downplay what are nice achievements, but game-changing softs are very hard to come by.

Congratulations, though. No matter what, you've got a T20 in your pocket.


I applied to WUSTL with a 163 and was straight up rejected (after 2 visits and in-person convos with admissions, an LOCI or two, and a couple emails to professors). Loved the school. Probably would've given them my first born to attend. Good job with your acceptance there. Well done.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby yeff » Tue May 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Jason321123 wrote: I would have to admit my schools were a bit weird in terms of what I was thinking, but I do not think I would have gotten so many waitlists considering my application's softs...if I didn't apply so late into the cycle (most of my apps went complete in February of 2010)


Congrats on WUSTL. I can't quite tell whether you think you should have had more acceptances rather than waitlists, or more rejections rather than waitlists, but considering you applied so late, waitlists are to be expected at schools you would otherwise get into straight up.

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 pm

I just wanted to add that I also got accepted to WUSTL with a 163/3.8 (accepted right off the bat too, no hold or waitlist). Also non-URM. Did we both win the lottery? haha. Jealous about the waitlist at UT though. I'm a Texas resident and I was straight up rejected.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:I just wanted to add that I also got accepted to WUSTL with a 163/3.8 (accepted right off the bat too, no hold or waitlist). Also non-URM. Did we both win the lottery? haha. Jealous about the waitlist at UT though. I'm a Texas resident and I was straight up rejected.


I got WL at Texas last year with my 163 as a resident. Ridiculous how much of a crap shoot LS admissions are. Makes no sense sometimes.

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:21 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:I just wanted to add that I also got accepted to WUSTL with a 163/3.8 (accepted right off the bat too, no hold or waitlist). Also non-URM. Did we both win the lottery? haha. Jealous about the waitlist at UT though. I'm a Texas resident and I was straight up rejected.


I got WL at Texas last year with my 163 as a resident. Ridiculous how much of a crap shoot LS admissions are. Makes no sense sometimes.

Geez that makes me feel worse about my rejection. Maybe there was just something awful that they hated about it to reject me outright. Oh well my cycle is almost over and I'll get over it!

LateNight
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 am

Re: 3.78/LSAT 163

Postby LateNight » Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm

My friend got into Georgetown witha 3.52 and a 162. Not a URM.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hdivschool, lawschool2017712, TAD, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests