Chances to get in at Oxford (or Cambrdige) Law Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ak362

Bronze

Re: Chances to get in at Oxford (or Cambrdige) Law

Post by ak362 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Uh. Except there is no pre-law degree in UK universities; LL.Bs are undergraduate degrees. Successful candidates take the LPC (Legal Practice Course) to become a solicitor, or a Bar Vocational Course (BVC) to become a barrister.

I don't understand the logic of this thread. If your intent is to practice law in England, then there's no point in going to graduate law school here in the United States. If your goal is to practice in both countries, then do note that save the route I've mentioned above, it's a bit difficult to do so. (Legal scholars can get "called to the bar" by becoming a professor of law, one way I can think of).

Dr_Nex

New

Post by Dr_Nex » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 pm

What are my chances at Princeton Law?

Tool.

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 am

oxford has a year long graduate degree program for u.s. law school grads. when you're done you get an LLM i think.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:34 pm

I know that Harvard has a program that lets you earn your LLM (Masters in Law) in one year from Cambridge, UK while getting some credit back in the US, but that's the only dual program with the Oxbridge schools that I'm aware of. If you are willing to go to go outside of Oxbridge, Columbia and (I think) USC have LLM programs associated with LSC, Univ College London, and/or King's College.

However, I'd check the school websites just to make sure. I hope that helped!

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:48 pm

usc's is with the london school of economics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopeguy

New

Post by hopeguy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 pm

gannak wrote:oxford has a year long graduate degree program for u.s. law school grads. when you're done you get an LLM i think.
is it the BCL?
I did't know that Oxford have LLM programs

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 pm

oi so it is

The Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) is our famous one-year postgraduate programme for those who have an outstanding law degree from a common law jurisdiction.

"our famous postgraduate programme"

holy pretentious. dude.

jamesg1986

New

Post by jamesg1986 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 pm

If you're serious about Oxbridge for graduate school, then there's two routes depending on what you want to do.

If you have an undergraduate degree in the US and want to be able to practice law in England, you can study at Oxford or Cambridge for Law with senior status, for which you will gain a BA (Oxon) or (Cantab) respectively, both of which 'upgrade' to MA degrees with no extra work 7 years after you begin the programme. Thereafter, to practice you will need to complete the Legal Practice Course (one year) or Bar Vocational Course (depending on whether you want to become a barrister or solicitor).

If you want to be an academic, then the Oxford BCL (1 year) is a very attractive choice. It is widely regarded as one of the best programmes in the world, and many leading scholars from US schools will take it. The Cambridge LLM is less attractive, because it is less intense, and it is regarded as being less intense so it loses reputation points. Many prominent academics who start at Cambridge go to Oxford to do the BCL.

---But the BCL or the LLM will depend on you having studied for a JD already in the states (or any other law programme). The course is very intense, and essentially your work should be 'publishable'.

Best

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”