PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
polaris769

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING YOUR CHANCES

Postby polaris769 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:53 pm

SBL, I wasn't talking to you lol. My main point is that the "What are my chances" forum is intended for newbies to familiarize them with the site and different tools such as hourumd.com, list of GPA heavy schools, list of LSAT heavy schools, etc. For serious discussion of law schools, two other forums are available- the Admissions forum and the Choosing a Law School forum.

lollypotter

Postby lollypotter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:02 pm

polaris769 wrote:First, I have posted exactly two what are my chances threads- one after my first test, and one after my second test. Also, since I don't post as often as you, is my opinion somehow less valuable- i.e. Johnny ten posts? My opinion is always based on sound facts, and I have also obsessively spent a lot of hours on LSN. I am also not as big a fan of retakes as you- you believe even one point helps even if the person in question is 3-4 points below the medians of their target schools. You also seem to have self-appointed yourself a moderator, and an omniscient fountain of truth. The question is- are you that insecure that if someone posts a badly worded "what are my chances" thread, you must rail against it and organize a witch-hunt?

This post is to me.

Yes, clearly I'm the insecure one in this conversation :roll: I'm impressed how you've managed to take a post that is stickied to the entire board and make it all about you. Yes, you may not post heavily in this thread (I've no idea - really, not everything is about you.) but you're happy to tell people not to retake, based on what? I disagree with you on retakes based on watching the board for an entire cycle and watching the results of retakes in school admissions, lsn and my own personal opinion. Don't get your panties in a bunch about it. For e.g there's a great what are my chances thread for African Americans on lsd - it's 319 pages long. There is a wealth of information for URMs there. I'm sure that when you go to post URM advice, you've bothered to seek out every source of online information there is, including ones like these. Or maybe you don't post at all. So why are you even getting involved? Surely this is between people who want to post info and people who want that info - who exactly appointed you their champion? I forgot, self obsessed, right.

I'm not a 'moderator' and I didn't sticky this thread, I asked a moderator if they thought it was stickiable and they agreed. If you would somehow like to back up this claim that mine is the minority or 'un - TLS' opinion, then the floor is yours.

lollypotter

Postby lollypotter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:04 pm

polaris769 wrote:SBL, I wasn't talking to you lol. My main point is that the "What are my chances" forum is intended for newbies to familiarize them with the site and different tools such as hourumd.com, list of GPA heavy schools, list of LSAT heavy schools, etc. For serious discussion of law schools, two other forums are available- the Admissions forum and the Choosing a Law School forum.

LOL

If you want to hold a private conversation with me polaris, you should just pm me. It's funny how your posts make it clear that you haven't even read the post properly. You just saw my name and couldn't wait to jump in. GROW UP. You're still hung up over the retakes thing. Question: are you gonna follow me all over tls for the next few months? Cos it might get old.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:06 pm

polaris769 wrote:SBL, I wasn't talking to you lol. My main point is that the "What are my chances" forum is intended for newbies to familiarize them with the site and different tools such as hourumd.com, list of GPA heavy schools, list of LSAT heavy schools, etc.

The Law School Admissions forum exists to familiarize applicants with application process and some of the available online tools.

The What Are My Chances forum is where you go once you've done your due diligence in Law School Admissions (and used the damn "search" field) to inquire as to your chances. It's most effective when posters include their stats, scores and a list of schools that at least implies some research. It is not the place for newbies to post "167/3.2 (Ivy) Can you guys tell me where to apply? I'm thinking HYS is a lock!" ad nauseum.

The Choosing a Law School forum is where you go once you've been admitted to discuss the pros and cons of various schools.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:23 pm

bump

fightin illini 25

Postby fightin illini 25 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:02 pm

bump

gk101

Postby gk101 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Major Bump needed

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 pm

BUMPAGE :D

D. Professor

Postby D. Professor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm new here to the TLS community. (Not new to online, forums, just TLS). However, since being here, I have noticed the abundance of "What are my chances" and the infamous "1.99 GPA / 108 LSAT, Can I get into Top ranked Ivy League Law School" threads. :mrgreen: As a bonafied noob to TLS (yes I totally claim it), this presented confusion to me and I am now under the impression that others share in my confusion as well.....

The confusion; We all know only law school advisors and admission officers can really give solid (and IMO, credible) feedback on an individuals chances of entering a law school based on scores and background stats. So, as an outsider coming into the forum, seeing these type threads gives a somewhat skewed assurance that forum members here must be insiders or are close enough to law school officials and faculty to know the answers to these inquires. It was not until becoming a member that I realized this board is a great tool in sharing advice and gaining powerful insight on the inner most working of the industry I yearn to be a part of upon passing the bar.... Not a mythical, majestic land filled wizard law school admins waiting to share the secret potions of the process. (sorry, L.O.Z. moment)

Now, as I just noted, this does present a misconstrued message to a person in a panic over their application status or are starting the long process into the game we collectively know as "entering law school". I image their thoughts are something comparable to "Hey, I FINALLY found a infomative site where I could get straight answers to my inquiries concerning my chances of getting into A B C School (off the record) from the very people who are responsible for admitting students into law schools. Now I can be somewhat reassured of my application(s) to ______ university(ies). outcome. FINALLY..... STRESS RELIEF....WWWWHHHHEEEWWWW (wipping sweat from forehead)!" :lol:

Yes, I know this sounds overly dramatic (and probably crazy), but everyone has these freak out moments during the law school application process. Some before taking the LSAT, others after they have been accepted into the school of their dreams. It just so happens that with some persons, desperate times deems them to seek guidance of others to solidify thier hopes. (FYI, this is a often practiced theme in alomst all "self help" outlets.)

Someone else mentioned this in the post, but my point is that many people who find this site are no different than anyone else posting here. We all are (or were) one way or another, seeking answers and more information to better or chances of entering law school (and succeeding in law school). So I implore that the veterans, no matter how annoyed you get, please, cut the noobs some slack. Remember, you to were once in their shoes.

D. Professor

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 pm

hey everyone, thanks for the helpful info, I wanted to get some feedback because my lsat score makes my chances tough to predict, and I don't want to get overexcited by the calculators, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
176 December LSAT-1st try
3.2 Undergrad GPA History major- no major upward or downward trends, 4 steady years (did play college lacrosse-doubt it helps though)
Currently getting a Masters degree (Sports Management)
I am not a URM
No major side factor that I could see playing a role, so what do you guys think of my chances overall, should I apply to a high volume of schools and which should I rule out, other than the obvious (Harvard, Yale)

-Vanderbilt and Texas are favorites of mine
- SMU and Loyola Marymount in LA
-from California so would love to have UCLA or Berkeley or UC Davis as options, but am doubtful of my chances
-Michigan, Virginia?
any and all feedback would help me out, so thank you

n8tiveprincess

Postby n8tiveprincess » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:19 am

muddywaters wrote:what are my chances at a full skolly at yale? i have a 2.1 GPA, a 152 LSAT but my softs are REALLY good. like, president of sorority good.

this one and the one with the 3.98/URM179 LSAT what are my chances at HSY::: LMAO I'm dying laughing owww my tummy!!

LamontSanford

Postby LamontSanford » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:51 pm

n8tiveprincess wrote:
muddywaters wrote:what are my chances at a full skolly at yale? i have a 2.1 GPA, a 152 LSAT but my softs are REALLY good. like, president of sorority good.

this one and the one with the 3.98/URM179 LSAT what are my chances at HSY::: LMAO I'm dying laughing owww my tummy!!

wow great avatar

akarmenia1

URM

Postby akarmenia1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:11 pm

I found something very interesting when I used the law school calculator. I entered my stats as a non-URM and found that I had only a 25% chance of getting into Lewis and Clark Law School. Out of curiosity I changed my status to URM and my chances rose to 84%! Is that type of disparity normal? Makes me think that a straight white Christian male like myself will have a hard time getting into any school without scoring in the 95th percentile on the LSAT.

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:25 pm

lollypotter wrote:If you want to post, please post as much useful information as possible. For example, it's probably not necessary to post the name of your high school band counselor. Adcoms lurk these boards - it's been confirmed multiple times, to the point where a Harvard admit was told by an adcom that they 'enjoyed his viewpoints online'.

that's extremely amusing!!

im_blue

Re: URM

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 am

akarmenia1 wrote:I found something very interesting when I used the law school calculator. I entered my stats as a non-URM and found that I had only a 25% chance of getting into Lewis and Clark Law School. Out of curiosity I changed my status to URM and my chances rose to 84%! Is that type of disparity normal? Makes me think that a straight white Christian male like myself will have a hard time getting into any school without scoring in the 95th percentile on the LSAT.

absolutely

houston

Postby houston » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 am

I heart spam. (LinkRemoved)

Lisa_I

Postby Lisa_I » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:36 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
I agree to an extent.

If you're interested in IP law a graduate degree in a hard science is almost mandatory.

Research and publication can be very important depending on what you're going to law school to DO. If you're pitching yourself to HYS as a future academic, having peer-reviewed articles on your CV is going to be a big selling point.

I take it that you need to have English language papers in USA Journal?
I have 5 peer-reviewed articles in Russian in top Law Journals in Russia, but no one cares about those, right? :cry:

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am

how accurate is http://www.hourumd.com/?

its got me pretty excited about my prospects but want to make sure i stay grounded.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Cmoss wrote:how accurate is http://www.hourumd.com/?

its got me pretty excited about my prospects but want to make sure i stay grounded.

IMHO, It's not as accurate as LSN and tends to overestimate one's chances, because it gathers statistics from the past few cycles, during which almost every law school has raised their medians.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I agree to an extent.

If you're interested in IP law a graduate degree in a hard science is almost mandatory.

Research and publication can be very important depending on what you're going to law school to DO. If you're pitching yourself to HYS as a future academic, having peer-reviewed articles on your CV is going to be a big selling point.

You make me worried...I graduated in December with just a BSME, I'm working full time now and just took the LSAT a week ago. I WAS hoping to get into a good school with a respectable IP program to focus on patent law, but now... :|

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:34 pm

ak13 wrote:
I agree to an extent.

You make me worried...I graduated in December with just a BSME, I'm working full time now and just took the LSAT a week ago. I WAS hoping to get into a good school with a respectable IP program to focus on patent law, but now... :|

Hard science majors like biology and chemistry need PhDs, but you'll be fine for IP with a BS in Engineering.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm

im_blue wrote:
ak13 wrote:
I agree to an extent.

Hard science majors like biology and chemistry need PhDs, but you'll be fine for IP with a BS in Engineering.

oh thank jesus, you made my night, I was beginning to soil myself

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

Hi all,

I'm sure this isn't the appropriate forum for administrative questions, but I've been trying to start a new topic under the "what are my chances?" thread for a couple days now and have been getting some message about being unable to create new topics due to archiving old messages. Is this a typical error that will remedy itself or is there an issue on my end? Also, do any of the mods know how long these archivals typically last?

Thanks,

Adam

annab

Postby annab » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for this post. I am new to this site and from my first impressions I see that many people who give "advice" here are really negative. I think they are bitter and want to shatter any hope that others might have of getting into a good school. Your links have made me more optimistic about my chances.:)

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:57 pm

annab wrote:Thanks for this post. I am new to this site and from my first impressions I see that many people who give "advice" here are really negative. I think they are bitter and want to shatter any hope that others might have of getting into a good school. Your links have made me more optimistic about my chances.:)

Lemming,

The negativity is due to the fact that entry level jobs in law are disappearing. What is the point of going to the U of Michigan (a great law school) if what awaits you is years of doc review in some place called Kalamazoo until it is outsourced to India?

Return to “What are my chances?”