Can I get into Columbia with a 2.9 in Aerospace Engineering? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Urig

New

Can I get into Columbia with a 2.9 in Aerospace Engineering?

Post by Urig » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am

Ok so my GPA is not so good. 2.87 exactly (2.92 LSDAS).

I go to Georgia Tech for Aerospace Engineering and I want to to I.P. law at Columbia. How realistic is this goal?

I'm:
-White Male
-Independently Supported (Financially)
-Worked Part Time All Semesters (full time summers)
-On the Wrestling Team 2 Years (~20 hours a week)

I took the June LSAT and I'm feeling about a 157-163 score but I don't know yet.

I guess what I want to know if how much does Columbia care that I'm not a History major at a community college?
(didn't mean to offend if you are a History major at a community college)

VaultBound

Bronze

Re: Can I get into Columbia with a 2.9 in Aerospace Engineering?

Post by VaultBound » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 am

The GPA and major wouldn't be a problem if you had a LSAT score to compensate. I say 'nay' for Columbia.

Lightray

New

Post by Lightray » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 am

IMHO Your numbers are considerably low. Schools do take into consideration harder mayors (from non community college type schools), but not to the point that it will hurt their rankings. And when they do, there has got to be something extraordinary about you that they just couldn't reject. However don't get discouraged. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com for a ballpark of what Columbia is looking for. If your lsat is not above 169, I'd say save your application money.

aleph209

New

Post by aleph209 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:40 am

with a gpa significantly below the 25%, you'll generally need an lsat above the 75th. 2.9, 160ish doesn't come close to top 14, let alone cls, unfortunately.

run your numbers through lsn and the lsac calculator for more of a sense.

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 am

regardless of your major, you'll need 173+ to have any shot whatsoever at Columbia, and 171+ to have any shot at any T14 school. Community College to Columbia is not a typical progression. Georgia Tech is not going to stand out among a pile of ivy league applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kilgoretrout

New

Post by kilgoretrout » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 pm

philo-sophia wrote:regardless of your major, you'll need 173+ to have any shot whatsoever at Columbia, and 171+ to have any shot at any T14 school. Community College to Columbia is not a typical progression. Georgia Tech is not going to stand out among a pile of ivy league applicants.
Georgia Tech is a top-ten engineering school. Even so, OP has negligible chances at CLS.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:54 pm

2.9 157 for Columbia? This has to be a flame.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Even with a 180, this guy isn't getting into CLS. Best shot is Cornell, NW, GTown, maybe Mich/UVA,

Bauer24

New

Post by Bauer24 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 pm

You may get Columbia with a 180- if you have some nice soft factors and I mean nice, outstanding ones!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

matt

New

Post by matt » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm

EmmyD wrote:Even with a 180, this guy isn't getting into CLS. Best shot is Cornell, NW, GTown, maybe Mich/UVA,
titcr

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 pm

matt wrote:
EmmyD wrote:Even with a 180, this guy isn't getting into CLS. Best shot is Cornell, NW, GTown, maybe Mich/UVA,
titcr

Yes, I have similar numbers and similar background... my 174 was good enough for CLS to say 'no' right away. I wouldn't have even applied without the fee waiver they sent me.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Bauer24 wrote:You may get Columbia with a 180- if you have some nice soft factors and I mean nice, outstanding ones!!
If you're talking about breasts, I don't think the OP has any.

Urig

New

Post by Urig » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks for the honest (some brutally, lol) replies.

For the record, Georgia Tech is actually top 5 overall and their Aerospace program is 2nd overall falling only to MIT. In no way do I regret my 2.9 GPA.

I got to a ridiculously hard school and I take a ridiculously hard major. Please don't call me a flame. I doubt your 3.8 in Economics or History would fly at my school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Urig wrote:I got to a ridiculously hard school and I take a ridiculously hard major. Please don't call me a flame. I doubt your 3.8 in Economics or History would fly at my school.
No need for the elitist tone.

You weren't called a flame because of your GPA. People suspected you were a flame because anyone who had done the smallest bit of cursory research (i.e. glanced at the LSAT and GPA ranges that are posted on THIS website) would realized that a non-URM with a 157-163 stands almost zero chance at Columbia regardless of GPA.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Urig wrote:Thanks for the honest (some brutally, lol) replies.

For the record, Georgia Tech is actually top 5 overall and their Aerospace program is 2nd overall falling only to MIT. In no way do I regret my 2.9 GPA.

I got to a ridiculously hard school and I take a ridiculously hard major. Please don't call me a flame. I doubt your 3.8 in Economics or History would fly at my school.
Actually one thing he is leaving out is something the girl I'm seeing who goes there pointed out to me. The average graduating GPA for the "smart" kids from GT is around 2.3, so I'd say he is doing excellent with a 2.9 considering his major.

Im not sure if a law school will take it into consideration, but I know damn well that every other kind of grad program does.

Nemorino

New

Post by Nemorino » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Urig wrote:
This statement IS a flame by definition...

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:26 pm

savagedm wrote:

Actually one thing he is leaving out is something the girl I'm seeing who goes there pointed out to me. The average graduating GPA for the "smart" kids from GT is around 2.3, so I'd say he is doing excellent with a 2.9 considering his major.

Im not sure if a law school will take it into consideration, but I know damn well that every other kind of grad program does.
They don't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nemorino

New

Post by Nemorino » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Urig wrote:
This statement IS a flame by definition...

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Urig wrote: I doubt your 3.8 in Economics or History would fly at my school.
You know what, if I went to Georgia Tech engineering I would have a 4.0 without studying OR using a calcuator. Give me a pencil & a slide ruler & get out of my way--I'm a man!! THAT'S HOW YOU GET TO COLUMBIA, SON!

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Your school is artificially grade deflated; the work is about as hard as it would be at any other school, but professors give lower grades. I'm happy you feel smart for your Ds, but I'm sure the economics majors at Chicago with a 3.8 feel smart for their As, for which they probably worked just as hard.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm

EmmyD wrote:
Bauer24 wrote:You may get Columbia with a 180- if you have some nice soft factors and I mean nice, outstanding ones!!
If you're talking about breasts, I don't think the OP has any.
That was good

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
You know what, if I went to Georgia Tech engineering I would have a 4.0 without studying OR using a calcuator. Give me a pencil & a slide ruler & get out of my way--I'm a man!! THAT'S HOW YOU GET TO COLUMBIA, SON!
OWNED

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:57 pm

JustDude wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:
OWNED

no that's owned (O) IF and ONLY IF the pencil was one of those ones you had to buy from a hardware store and sharpen yourself with a big knife (Pbk).

O <--> Pbk

mgrogan

New

Post by mgrogan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 pm

...georgia tech doesn't have a wrestling team. on tech/uva/duke/unc/nc state/maryland wrestle in the acc, in the ncaa at least... :?:

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't think you'll get into a top ten school....or top twenty for that matter with those numbers.

Getting good grades at an engineering school is no big thing. You know what you're getting into, you just have to work harder.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”