GPA 3.80 LSAT 168-- will I get money at a top 30 school?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BossLink

New

GPA 3.80 LSAT 168-- will I get money at a top 30 school?

Postby BossLink » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi! I applied a bit late in the cycle (first week in January) to a few schools, most in the top 30 range (Emory, BU, University of Minnesota, UC Davis, and George Washington). With a GPA of 3.80 and an LSAT score of 168, do you think that I have a shot at getting merit money at these schools? Or should I reapply earlier in the next cycle? My current goal is to do public interest law relating to sexual or domestic violence, but I'm thinking about family or divorce law.

Thanks you taking the time to read this, I really appreciate your help!

kinge

New

Re: GPA 3.80 LSAT 168-- will I get money at a top 30 school?

Postby kinge » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:28 pm

https://mylsn.info/32np0h/
Looks like plenty of top 30 schools (not a terribly meaningful distinction between t30 and t50, btw) would take you and you have a good shot at scholarships. Where do you want to practice? Outside of the t14, most schools place very regionally. Ex: Alabama is ranked higher than Fordham but you will have a much better time finding a job with a Fordham degree if you want to work in New York.

I think you should reapply if you don't get significant (>50%) merit aid at a t50 that places well in your region. That being said, I wouldn't count you out of the running for merit aid just yet - this admissions cycle seems to be slower than recent cycles.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Postby decimalsanddollars » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:57 pm

I would second kinge's advice but also encourage you to apply more broadly. You may get into/get money from some lower t14s, and having more options is definitely better. If you have a target city/region (for example, Chicago/the Midwest), I'd apply to any of the T50 schools that feed into that market---not just Chicago and NW, but also Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc etc. Your current application pool is kinda all over the map, but if you are targeting DC, I would definitely apply to George Mason, Maryland, W&M, W&L, and maybe Richmond so that you have other options if GW stiffs you or GULC rejects you. If you have a decent regional-based pull toward Boston/BU, definitely apply to BC as well...you get the point. Below YSHCCN/t13/maybe t20, choosing by rank doesn't make nearly as much sense as choosing by region.

FND

Bronze

Postby FND » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:42 pm

BossLink wrote: My current goal is to do public interest law relating to sexual or domestic violence, but I'm thinking about family or divorce law.

Thanks you taking the time to read this, I really appreciate your help!
With those goals, cost should be your second biggest concern. You'll want a school that feeds into your target market (as stated earlier, don't go to Alabama if you want to end up in New York), but you want to keep costs as low as possible, because you're not gonna have a high salary when you graduate.

With those numbers I guarantee you'll get money from plenty of schools. Don't be afraid to ask for more, and don't be afraid to play one against the other.

"I really like your school, but it's a bit pricey, is there anything you can do?"
"thank you for your acceptance, but XYZ rival school offered me a scholarship. Is there any way you could match it?"
"I appreciate your scholarship offer, but I received a greater offer from X. Can you beat it?"

Note: don't negotiate with all schools at the same time. If you have 5 acceptances and no scholarship, ask one for a scholarship. If they say no, move on to the next; if they say yes, use that offer as a starting point when you approach the next school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances??