168 LSAT/3.8 GPA- what schools should I apply to? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
angery16

New

168 LSAT/3.8 GPA- what schools should I apply to?

Post by angery16 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi all!

So as the title says, I have a 168 LSAT score and a 3.84/3.5 GPA (without/with community college credits, did 2 years cc and 3 years uni). I want to focus on public interest work. I applied to UCLA as my top choice and am thinking Yale for my reacher school/CUNY for my safety net, but where else should I apply? Looking to pick two or so other schools. I'm considering another UC or two and am open to any and all suggestions. :) thanks!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: 168 LSAT/3.8 GPA- what schools should I apply to?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:24 pm

What is your actual GPA, from LSAC? There's a massive difference between 3.5 and 3.8.

You almost certainly shouldn't waste time on either Yale or CUNY and instead apply to about 8 schools that match your numbers and goals -- what are your career goals?

angery16

New

Post by angery16 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:56 pm

My LSAC GPA right now is 3.84, but my community college transcript hasn't been processed yet and I don't know if that'll take it down. Definitely won't be applying to eight schools- probably five is my plan.

Looking to get into public interest and immigration mostly, some interest in race studies and human rights/laws of war. I did like CUNY's focus on public interest even if they're significantly below my stats imo. I'm on the West Coast and mostly looking at California, I've heard that where you go to school has a lot on where you can find work after, but I am open to moving around.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:04 pm

I ran a myLSN search with two GPA ranges, one being 3.5-3.6 and one being 3.7-3.84, just to underscore the difference in outcomes.

3.5-3.6: https://mylsn.info/b5k6kl
3.7-3.84: https://mylsn.info/25ffpm

A few quick notes: UCLA is a possibility in either case, but the higher GPA range has a significantly higher frequency of acceptance and mean scholarship award. Most of the t14 is off-limits for both ranges (both show 0% for YSH and Chicago), and Berkeley is 32% for the lower range and 45% for the upper. The upper range shows 90+% acceptance for USC, UCI, and UCD, with hefty scholarship numbers for each; the lower range still has 100% acceptance for UCI/UCD, but only 56% for USC.

Berkeley, UCLA, USC, UCI, and UCD would be a very good "five schools" to apply to in either case (reach, 1-2 targets, 2-3 safety), but I second Airbender's advice to apply to about 8 schools to maximize your chances of getting in to a good school with money and have options to compare (and play off one another). Yale through Chicago would be wasted applications for either range. If you want to add a reach school above Berkeley, consider NYU, which is the highest-ranked school that seriously considers apps with your numbers. On the other end, CUNY would likely give you a fee waiver and good scholarship outcomes---no reason not to apply. Beyond that, I recommend adding Texas and Vanderbilt, because they are peer schools to your "top choice" and seem to be more generous than UCLA given your stats (in either GPA range). If you'd rather add a couple West Coast safety schools, consider UWashington or maybe LMU/Hastings.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 am

I would throw in an app for Cornell as they have the PILIPP II program:
https://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admis ... lan-II.cfm

I would look for similar programs (loan repayment assistance or LRAP programs) at other schools that you have a shot at. You may end up doing something else besides PI or immigration as minds change in law school, so it is nice if the school has other strengths too.

Not sure on NYU, but Georgetown might be worth it as well - you may decide that working in/around the Hill is a better way to achieve your goals (maybe working to change immigration law ends up sounding better to you). Berkeley had some hits from the myLSN post too - couldn't hurt. This all assumes the lower GPA range.

I would echo the advice to apply to more than 5 schools. Borrow the app fees from someone if you have to (ask for waivers too). If it is just the pain of filling out more apps I would suggest that the return on your time is worth it.

Even though you might prefer the West Coast it is nice to have a handful of acceptances to choose from that include some t14 schools, though I tend to be biased in favor of t14 schools for the usual reasons (including LRAPs).

Good luck on your applications and really consider doing more than 5 apps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”