3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
happyday

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby happyday » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi everyone!

I got a 173 on the July 2019 LSAT and I am applying this cycle with a 3.87 GPA. I am crossing my fingers for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU, especially Columbia because I really want to pursue corporate law in NYC. I fully acknowledge that, with my numbers, YS are pretty much impossible to get into (I have average softs and am currently working in consulting), but I wanted to ask all of you if it is worth applying to Harvard. Do you think I even have a shot? I am not a URM and went to a state school for college, if that gives you some more context.

I am pretty much blanketing the T-14 from Chicago down, but I would really appreciate any advice on whether I even ought to entertain hopes for Harvard. Or are my chances at H basically the same as at YS (in which case I guess I shouldn’t even bother applying :D) ?

Thanks so much for any input!

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:39 am

You have a shot everywhere.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am

Dcc617 wrote:You have a shot everywhere.


This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).

happyday

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby happyday » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:You have a shot everywhere.


This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).


Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's amazing to hear! I am new to the whole admissions process and, from the posts and articles that I have read so far, I get the sense that YS have so-called "black box" decisions and that you really need to be special in some way (e.g. Rhodes Scholar, published paper in undergrad) to get in. That is why I did not put YS on my radar at all. At the same time, I have recently gotten the understanding that Harvard's admissions process is a bit more predictable and a "numbers game" (because of the really large class size, I think?), so I wanted to ask if I have a shot there. Do you have an idea what my chances might be for Harvard?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 6591
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 pm

happyday wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:You have a shot everywhere.


This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).


Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's amazing to hear! I am new to the whole admissions process and, from the posts and articles that I have read so far, I get the sense that YS have so-called "black box" decisions and that you really need to be special in some way (e.g. Rhodes Scholar, published paper in undergrad) to get in. That is why I did not put YS on my radar at all. At the same time, I have recently gotten the understanding that Harvard's admissions process is a bit more predictable and a "numbers game" (because of the really large class size, I think?), so I wanted to ask if I have a shot there. Do you have an idea what my chances might be for Harvard?


It's true that softs have more of an impact at YS (once you have the numbers), but your numbers at least give you an outside shot at admission there. It would be worth throwing an application at them.

You have a very good chance at Harvard, and you're almost certainly in everywhere else in the T13.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2441
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 pm

mylsn.info

hlsperson1111

Bronze
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Dcc617 wrote:mylsn.info


OP, if you run your numbers on this site, you will discover that 83% (15/18) of candidates with your stats got into HLS. (In contrast, 25% of applicants with your stats got into SLS and 7% got into YLS.)

It's certainly worth it to apply.

happyday

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby happyday » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:mylsn.info


OP, if you run your numbers on this site, you will discover that 83% (15/18) of candidates with your stats got into HLS. (In contrast, 25% of applicants with your stats got into SLS and 7% got into YLS.)

It's certainly worth it to apply.


Hi there! That website is really cool! I didn’t know there was a repository with so much data from past applicants. I ran a search with a 173-173 LSAT range and a 3.83-3.87 GPA range and it said I have a 60% chance at Harvard. That seems really high though.

How accurate would you say the numbers from the MyLSN site are? Also, would you mind sharing any personal experience applying to Harvard or similar schools, if you’ve already been through the process? I’ve heard that the admissions process in the past few cycles have been getting increasingly competitive, so I’m not sure how much stock to put into past data. That 60% just seems too high to be true, so I would really appreciate hearing from some real people rather than having my head in the clouds at my chances at Harvard after looking at some raw numbers :) Thanks again!

happyday

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby happyday » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
happyday wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:You have a shot everywhere.


This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).


Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's amazing to hear! I am new to the whole admissions process and, from the posts and articles that I have read so far, I get the sense that YS have so-called "black box" decisions and that you really need to be special in some way (e.g. Rhodes Scholar, published paper in undergrad) to get in. That is why I did not put YS on my radar at all. At the same time, I have recently gotten the understanding that Harvard's admissions process is a bit more predictable and a "numbers game" (because of the really large class size, I think?), so I wanted to ask if I have a shot there. Do you have an idea what my chances might be for Harvard?


It's true that softs have more of an impact at YS (once you have the numbers), but your numbers at least give you an outside shot at admission there. It would be worth throwing an application at them.

You have a very good chance at Harvard, and you're almost certainly in everywhere else in the T13.


Thanks for your reply, cavalier1138! I guess I will submit applications to the HYS trinity then and cross my fingers for H :) I really thought it wasn’t worth applying to them but I took a look at this MyLSN tool and Harvard looks a bit more possible than I thought. However, it looks like I am at their median for the LSAT but below their median for GPA. Do you have any thoughts on how important “softs” are for Harvard? I don’t have any unicorn softs - would financial consulting at a global firm make up for my GPA and overall “generic-ness”? Or is Harvard basically a numbers game as well?

Really appreciate your advice! :D

hlsperson1111

Bronze
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:05 pm

You're much closer to the GPA median (3.89) than the bottom 25% (3.79). Like everyone is saying, you are not a lock, but I think you have a better than 50-50 chance of getting in and it's certainly worth a shot.

happyday

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Postby happyday » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:56 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:You're much closer to the GPA median (3.89) than the bottom 25% (3.79). Like everyone is saying, you are not a lock, but I think you have a better than 50-50 chance of getting in and it's certainly worth a shot.


Ooh I see. Thanks for all the advice! I think I will submit an application to Harvard and see how it goes :))



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lampyyy and 11 guests