Chances at t13 scholarship

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zoehr

New

Chances at t13 scholarship

Postby zoehr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am

Stats: 3.9 GPA (political philosophy major), 173 LSAT...no impressive softs. Spent a year abroad in high school and learned French, considering taking a year off before law school to study Spanish or teach English in Asia. Member of my school's Honors College, senior thesis with a distinguished philosopher, and planning on doing an internship with a public defender next semester...honestly that's about it. I can count on good letters of rec.

Financial need is super important for me. I don't qualify for need based... does anyone have any idea of what I can count on? Any chance at a full ride from a t13?

mwells_56

New

Re: Chances at t13 scholarship

Postby mwells_56 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:57 am

zoehr wrote:Stats: 3.9 GPA (political philosophy major), 173 LSAT...no impressive softs. Spent a year abroad in high school and learned French, considering taking a year off before law school to study Spanish or teach English in Asia. Member of my school's Honors College, senior thesis with a distinguished philosopher, and planning on doing an internship with a public defender next semester...honestly that's about it. I can count on good letters of rec.

Financial need is super important for me. I don't qualify for need based... does anyone have any idea of what I can count on? Any chance at a full ride from a t13?

You'll get lots of dollars from many of the top schools, don't sweat it.

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

You should strongly consider taking time off to work after school, which will shore up your savings and also make you more competitive for marquee scholarships like the Darrow, but your numbers put you in a great position to begin with. I don't want to say a full-ride is guaranteed but you're as competitive as it gets for those offers.

VirginiaFan

New

Postby VirginiaFan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 pm

You'll get a full tuition scholarship in the T14. Basically, apply to every T14 and then negotiate like hell once you get scholarship offers. After that, pick your favorite school that's free!

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:54 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:You'll get a full tuition scholarship in the T14. Basically, apply to every T14 and then negotiate like hell once you get scholarship offers. After that, pick your favorite school that's free!

Full ride might be out of reach, but I suspect OP will get $$$ from Penn down.

OP for reference, I had a 173 / 3.97 and 3 years w/e, and received about 2/3 scholarships from Penn down and about 1/2 from Chicago and Columbia. I agree with others, work experience will significantly help your application.

VirginiaFan

New

Postby VirginiaFan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Platopus wrote:
VirginiaFan wrote:You'll get a full tuition scholarship in the T14. Basically, apply to every T14 and then negotiate like hell once you get scholarship offers. After that, pick your favorite school that's free!

OP for reference, I had a 173 / 3.97 and 3 years w/e, and received about 2/3 scholarships from Penn down and about 1/2 from Chicago and Columbia. I agree with others, work experience will significantly help your application.

I had nearly identical stats, no work experience, and had multiple T14 full rides. So, ymmv. But I think we all agree-- apply broadly, see how much money you can get.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I had nearly identical stats, no work experience, and had multiple T14 full rides. So, ymmv. But I think we all agree-- apply broadly, see how much money you can get.

I think it depends on the overall cycle as well. I applied in a year when LSATs, especially above 170, were all up by almost double digits, so that obviously has an impact as well. That said, OP is in a really good position regardless and significant scholarships throughout the T13 are definitely in play.

Return to “What are my chances??