T14 ED Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zysun

New

T14 ED Chances?

Postby zysun » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:55 am

Hard facts:
3.67/169 (Straight A with a C in my frosh year lol)

PoliSci/Asian studies major in a top 20 liberal arts college (according to U.S. News)

Chinese w/o Green Card

Have been in the States since HS

Rising senior applying right out of college

Soft factors:
Published an essay on a PoliSci journal hosted by Yale

The only Chinese senator in my college's student government, negotiated with the college president to raise the minimum wage for student workers.

Currently negotiating, as the representative of the student government and on the behalf of international students, with the financial aid director for an expansion of international student financial aid.

Started a petition condemning Harvard for its bias against Asian applicants.

Studied abroad in Japan and did extensive research on civil rights challenges faced by Korean-Japanese community. Planning to make this my thesis topic.

Served as the aide of the chair of Asian studies department, helped with event organization and communication stuff.

Fluent in Japanese, can speak some German and Spanish. Currently learning Korean.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: T14 ED Chances?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 am

No point in EDing. Your numbers are good enough for admission to the lower T13, and ED will just limit potential scholarships without really raising your chances of admission at most schools.

On an unrelated note: How did a single C lower you from a 4.0 to a 3.67? Was it a 15-credit class?

zysun

New

Postby zysun » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:52 am

cavalier1138 wrote:No point in EDing. Your numbers are good enough for admission to the lower T13, and ED will just limit potential scholarships without really raising your chances of admission at most schools.

On an unrelated note: How did a single C lower you from a 4.0 to a 3.67? Was it a 15-credit class?

Thanks for replying! By saying "straight A" I meant As and A-minuses... Apologies for the confusion. I got that C because I had some health issues back then, and I will write an addendum to explain my circumstances.

As for scholarship it really isn't a must for me-- my helicopter parents kinda prefer ranking over money and they are the ones paying for my tuition. :|

Also, do you think I stand a chance at higher T14s with the help of my soft factors? As of now, I am very tempted to ED NYU; last year, their LSAT median happened to be 169.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:18 am

I'll echo Cav's advice but add that you absolutely should not go to a school just because that's where your parents want you to go, regardless of whether they are paying for your tuition or not. Choosing a law school is likely the biggest decision you will have to make in your life so far, and will impact the rest of your career. Go to a school because its the right choice for you, not because your parents would be impressed.

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 am

ED is unlikely to help you at NYU. You basically have a tiny chance at NYU and Penn, virtual shoe-in at one of Michigan or Cornell with 90-100k scholarship, and likely in at one of UVA/Berkeley/Duke/Northwestern. Also good chance at getting into Northwestern via ED with their sizeable ED scholarship. Honestly I would ED Northwestern in your shoes.

Return to “What are my chances??