Splitter Candidate w/Work Experience Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NYCer

New

Splitter Candidate w/Work Experience

Post by NYCer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Hey there!

Hoping you all can help assess my realistic chances at a T14 school (or *gasp* T6). I'm a splitter candidate - 3.4 GPA with a major in Communications Theory (think rhetoric, philosophy - very applicable) and a 173 LSAT. This GPA is driven down by my first year in college with about a 3.7-3.8 in my major. I have a strong rec from the head of the department as I was the highest scorer in his class. I was also nominated for a full-ride masters and teaching position (in public speaking and debate) from our dept faculty. I didn't end up taking it as I got a great job out of school.

Since college, I've done very well professionally. I have won numerous professional awards in my previous roles and now work in marketing at a top 5 tech company. In this role, I've been nominated for many awards at the company and would have strong recommendations from the VP level. Just trying to contextualize that I have performed very well in a professional environment. Does this help boost my odds?

Should I retake the LSAT? Where do I have a realistic chance? Would love any input/advice here.

cavalier1138

Re: Splitter Candidate w/Work Experience

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:09 pm

After you hit 173-ish, retaking the LSAT has diminishing returns, so I don't think a retake is warranted. But your 3.4 is a 3.4, not a 3.4*. So your results should be comparable to what you see on MyLSN. The good news is that means you have a solid shot at admission across the T13 outside of HYS (maybe not Chicago, because of its emphasis on GPA). You're also likely to get decent scholarship offers.

But based on your description of your career trajectory thus far, why are you interested in law school? Sounds like you're on a good track already in a position you enjoy.

QContinuum

Re: Splitter Candidate w/Work Experience

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Welcome to TLS, NYCer!
cavalier1138 wrote:ased on your description of your career trajectory thus far, why are you interested in law school? Sounds like you're on a good track already in a position you enjoy.

I second cav's question above. OP, you state:
NYCer wrote:Since college, I've done very well professionally. I have won numerous professional awards in my previous roles and now work in marketing at a top 5 tech company. In this role, I've been nominated for many awards at the company and would have strong recommendations from the VP level. Just trying to contextualize that I have performed very well in a professional environment.

It sounds like you've been doing tremendously well in your chosen career, to the point where you're getting close contact with the executive level. Why do you want to switch tracks completely and start all over again from ground zero? Because make no mistake: Law is very rigid and hierarchical. As a new law school graduate, you'd be viewed as exactly the same as the 24-year-old K-JD next to you whose most substantial previous work experience consists of a summer internship or two.

Return to “What are my chances?”