What are my chances at University of Cincinnati? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Daisy0909

New

What are my chances at University of Cincinnati?

Post by Daisy0909 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am

What are my chances at University of Cincinnati?? My top choice!

GPA 3.6/LSAT 156

Applied to:
University of Cincinnati
Northern Kentucky University
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville

Background: I’m a born and bred Cincinnati guy and intend to stay in this area. I’m a College Senior majoring in History but heard the calling to attend Law School in November 2018. Believe it or not I’m suddenly interested in City/Local Government/maybe Running for Office lol. Rushed to take the LSAT in January, and just received results and applied. I’m literally obsessed with Law right now and cannot wait to go to attend Law School!
From a practical point of view, I hate the idea of debt. My family is middle class, but we do not have tons of money sitting around. I could live at home if I get in UC or NKU. Both my parents went to University of Louisville and are excited if I decided to attend there if I don’t get into my top choice UC.

With my stats:
1- What are my chances to get into UC
2- Applying this late in the game will l get money anywhere
3- Where would you guys go, if you didn’t get into UC but happen to get into any of the KY schools? IE should I pick NKU over Louisville and Kentucky, since I could live at home?

I know there are no magical answers, and I will be thrilled if I get into any of these fine schools. I am confident I will figure out what’s best for me, with support of my family.

However...... I literally just discovered this site, and would appreciate any input from a network of unbiased strangers lol. Cheers, y’all!

cavalier1138

Re: What are my chances at University of Cincinnati?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Daisy0909 wrote:1- What are my chances to get into UC
Ok. Not great.
Daisy0909 wrote:2- Applying this late in the game will l get money anywhere
You're a bit late, but your numbers are the bigger issue. You're right at/slightly below Cincinnati's medians, so I wouldn't count on any money there. You might get decent money at Louisville (but you shouldn't go there), and you'd probably get a good scholarship at NKU, but that's a school that shouldn't exist.
Daisy0909 wrote:3- Where would you guys go, if you didn’t get into UC but happen to get into any of the KY schools? IE should I pick NKU over Louisville and Kentucky, since I could live at home?
If you want to work in Cincinnati, it looks like none of the Kentucky schools place grads back in that area. You should only be considering UK out of those options anyway, but I wouldn't bother. But if your goals are to be in government (running for office), you shouldn't go to law school at all. Your post has a ton of red flags, and you need to slow down. Law school isn't going anywhere, and this sounds like a spur-of-the-moment decision for you. Relax. See how things go. But unless you buck the odds, you should be prepared to retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle.

Daisy0909

New

Post by Daisy0909 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm

LOL Cavalier – I can see why you see red flags, trust me I would too.

As you know it’s hard to get your whole self across with a few paragraphs on the internet. Too bad we can’t have this discussion over a beer or at a Red’s game, ha ha. But anyway, sometimes in life you just know and have to go for it. That’s how I feel about law.

Is there anything to know/or can you elaborate further on Northern KY Univ and Louisville? Being from the Cincinnati area, both schools have a good reputation. My feeling is that I would accept one of these schools (and be happy about it) if I was lucky enough to get in, if I don’t get into UC. Long term, I want a “normal” Midwest life, and hope to make a difference in my community.

Thanks for your input.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Daisy0909 wrote:As you know it’s hard to get your whole self across with a few paragraphs on the internet. Too bad we can’t have this discussion over a beer or at a Red’s game, ha ha. But anyway, sometimes in life you just know and have to go for it. That’s how I feel about law.
Not a good enough reason. We're talking about spending enough money to buy a house with and railroading your career until you're 65. Going to law school on a whim is even stupider than getting married on a whim, or enlisting in the Marines on a whim, in terms of how much it'll constrain your future options.

Is there anything to know/or can you elaborate further on Northern KY Univ and Louisville? Being from the Cincinnati area, both schools have a good reputation. My feeling is that I would accept one of these schools (and be happy about it) if I was lucky enough to get in, if I don’t get into UC. Long term, I want a “normal” Midwest life, and hope to make a difference in my community.

Thanks for your input.
Those KY universities as a whole are decently well-regarded by in the region but the law schools in particular 1) don't have any sway with employers north of the Ohio River and 2) are so bad that you risk not finding employment in Kentucky.

If you want to be a lawyer in Cincinatti you need to increase your LSAT score to the point where you can go to UCincy or OSU at a steep discount. You're objectively screwing yourself over otherwise.

If you don't want to be a lawyer (which your interest in municipal government implies) then you shouldn't go to law school at all.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Ditto to everything Airbender said.
Daisy0909 wrote:Is there anything to know/or can you elaborate further on Northern KY Univ and Louisville?
How many students from Louisville get jobs in Ohio after graduation? How many students from NKU are employed as full-time lawyers after graduation?

And when you say you feel passionately about "the law," can you be more specific? What is your ideal job out of law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scutrules

New

Post by Scutrules » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

I'm an out of state applicant, accepted to UC with a 15k/yr scholarship.

3.44 uGPA, 160 LSAT. Military officer vet as my biggest soft.

I agree with the above posters. You sound like you read up on some stuff and got really excited (which is great) and made a spontaneous decision to apply just for shiggles. If I were you, I'd take a year off to study for the LSAT, maybe get a job, volunteer at your local political office to see if that's something you're actually interested in, and go from there. I know you don't want to hear that you should defer for a year but that's honestly your best option. If you study a bunch now, take a summer LSAT, and apply to UC in the early fall, you could be in a position to get substantial money for them. Add living at home and you could be going for basically nothing.

Law school is an investment of your time and resources. Don't devalue yourself just because you're impatient.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:28 am

Retake and you may get a full ride.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Not a good enough reason. We're talking about spending enough money to buy a house with and railroading your career until you're 65. Going to law school on a whim is even stupider than getting married on a whim, or enlisting in the Marines on a whim, in terms of how much it'll constrain your future options.
Pedantic point, but while enlisting in the Marines on a whim is stupid, it does not constrain your future options. You get the GI Bill, which is 4 years of full tuition + stipend at nearly every college and grad school in the country.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 am

Yeah, the military is great until something awful happens to you or a friend.

OP, don't rush this decision. Don't rush the LSAT. You should work to maximize every single point you can get, because each point could be worth tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. You have unlimited retake.

Also, there is no need to go straight through. Law school will still be around next year, and the year after. Maybe work as a paralegal or something for a year to make sure law is what you're interested in.

To maximize your chances at a good outcome, maximize your LSAT, maximize your resume, and maximize your application by applying early and stuff.

It's a lot of money, 3 years, and a degree that can constrain you. Don't rush this.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Pedantic point, but while enlisting in the Marines on a whim is stupid, it does not constrain your future options. You get the GI Bill, which is 4 years of full tuition + stipend at nearly every college and grad school in the country.
My point exactly. It's possible for the military to ruin a promising 22-year-old's life (disability, etc.) but it probably won't. Going to a mediocre law school without a plan and without a scholarship probably will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”