Chances: Sitting for Jan. 2019 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
modernoblomov

New

Chances: Sitting for Jan. 2019 LSAT

Post by modernoblomov » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Sitting for the 1/26 LSAT. I know it's TLS but for the sake of the question, let's assume a score of 169 or 170. Assuming my applications are complete once the scores are out (around mid-Feb), would I still have an OK shot at HYS? Or, will slots have been mostly decided by then?

And, should I assume scholly $$ will be significantly less for T10?

About me: AA, Ivy masters, AmeriCorps VISTA, 3.8 UG gpa, almost 30 w/ significant WE.

QContinuum

Re: Chances: Sitting for Jan. 2019 LSAT

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 pm

You can analyze your numbers at http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/ - make sure to select 'AA only', as results will differ considerably due to AA URM boost. To get more data (and thus more accurate results), you should input a broader range of numbers - like instead of only searching for applicants with your exact GPA, try looking at applicants with similar GPAs (e.g., 3.6-3.8, to avoid overestimating your chances by including applicants with higher GPAs). Likewise input a range for LSAT, not just a single LSAT score.

More importantly, actually get your LSAT first. Numbers-wise, looks like you should have a good shot at YSH, although maybe counteracted somewhat by applying so late in the cycle (do YSH even take January LSAT scores??). WE should also help. YSH only award need-based aid, unlike the rest of the T13 which award merit aid (which mylsn will also give you data about).

modernoblomov

New

Post by modernoblomov » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 am

QContinuum wrote:You can analyze your numbers at http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/ - make sure to select 'AA only', as results will differ considerably due to AA URM boost. To get more data (and thus more accurate results), you should input a broader range of numbers - like instead of only searching for applicants with your exact GPA, try looking at applicants with similar GPAs (e.g., 3.6-3.8, to avoid overestimating your chances by including applicants with higher GPAs). Likewise input a range for LSAT, not just a single LSAT score.

More importantly, actually get your LSAT first. Numbers-wise, looks like you should have a good shot at YSH, although maybe counteracted somewhat by applying so late in the cycle (do YSH even take January LSAT scores??). WE should also help. YSH only award need-based aid, unlike the rest of the T13 which award merit aid (which mylsn will also give you data about).
Y and H accepts and Stanford will for “extenuating circumstances” (https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/which- ... e-too-late).

I’ve played around with LSN but it’s difficult to gauge as the data for URMs who’ve completed their apps in February and applied to YHS is so small.

Won’t lose focus on the LSAT’s importance. But for perspective, it sounds then that it’s more or less unreasonable to think that my application would be so late in the cycle that that score and my background’s not enough to compensate?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 am

modernoblomov wrote:
QContinuum wrote:You can analyze your numbers at http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/ - make sure to select 'AA only', as results will differ considerably due to AA URM boost. To get more data (and thus more accurate results), you should input a broader range of numbers - like instead of only searching for applicants with your exact GPA, try looking at applicants with similar GPAs (e.g., 3.6-3.8, to avoid overestimating your chances by including applicants with higher GPAs). Likewise input a range for LSAT, not just a single LSAT score.

Y and H accepts and Stanford will for “extenuating circumstances” (https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/which- ... e-too-late).

I’ve played around with LSN but it’s difficult to gauge as the data for URMs who’ve completed their apps in February and applied to YHS is so small.

Won’t lose focus on the LSAT’s importance. But for perspective, it sounds then that it’s more or less unreasonable to think that my application would be so late in the cycle that that score and my background’s not enough to compensate?
Yale doesn't do rolling admissions (perhaps uniquely), so you won't be at a disadvantage there. But yes, certainly you'd be starting at a substantial handicap by applying to the others in February. I think you should still try it, if application fees aren't a huge burden, but be prepared to reapply next fall if you underperform your numbers (try looking at the LSN numbers without the late application criterion - I believe much more favorable across the board, especially for merit aid at the non-YSH T13).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”