Do I have any chance of being admitted to T-14 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Thedude2796

New

Do I have any chance of being admitted to T-14

Post by Thedude2796 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:22 pm

3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.
I understand that my stats are weak and my softs are pretty unimpressive so I am wondering if it is even worth applying to the t-14 schools I haven’t gotten waivers from.

albanach

Gold

Re: Do I have any chance of being admitted to T-14

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Thedude2796 wrote:3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.
I understand that my stats are weak and my softs are pretty unimpressive so I am wondering if it is even worth applying to the t-14 schools I haven’t gotten waivers from.
Your chances don't look great:

Boost your LSAT and things might improve:

Bear in mind the tiny sample size here.

Thedude2796

New

Post by Thedude2796 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm

albanach wrote:
Thedude2796 wrote:3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.

Oh well

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Thedude2796 wrote: Oh well
Don't be disheartened. There are still decent schools that will give you a good scholarship. If your heart is set on the T-14, it's doable. You just need an LSAT boost. Delay a year if necessary and it should be achievable. Plenty of folk on here, myself included, have gone from numbers like yours into the 170s.

Thedude2796

New

Post by Thedude2796 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 pm

albanach wrote:
Don't be disheartened. There are still decent schools that will give you a good scholarship. If your heart is set on the T-14, it's doable. You just need an LSAT boost. Delay a year if necessary and it should be achievable. Plenty of folk on here, myself included, have gone from numbers like yours into the 170s.
Not really an option. Headaches are still a big problem. During my LSAT practice I would PT in the low to mid 170’s when I didn’t get a headache and mid 160’s when I did. Considering that nothing has helped the headaches and the fact that I got headaches during all of my previous LSAT attempts, retaking a 4th time would be too much of a gamble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Thedude2796 wrote:
albanach wrote:
Not really an option. Headaches are still a big problem. During my LSAT practice I would PT in the low to mid 170’s when I didn’t get a headache and mid 160’s when I did. Considering that nothing has helped the headaches and the fact that I got headaches during all of my previous LSAT attempts, retaking a 4th time would be too much of a gamble.
Presumably you have worked with a neurologist? If so, and if nothing has worked, why not seek an accommodation? There are threads on here offering guidance.

Thedude2796

New

Post by Thedude2796 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm

albanach wrote:
Thedude2796 wrote:
albanach wrote:
Presumably you have worked with a neurologist? If so, and if nothing has worked, why not seek an accommodation? There are threads on here offering guidance.

I have. Recommendations or prescriptions have only ever ended up having no effect or making things worse. I don’t think an accommodation would help since the headaches just get progressively worse throughout a period a sustained concentration. The times that the headaches don’t get worse seem to be coincidental so I wouldn’t even really know what to accommodate. I’d be alright attending a school in the 30-50 range though I guess.

nylon_law

New

Post by nylon_law » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:16 am

I suffered from debilitating migraines. Traditional Chinese Medicine helped me. It was so bad in undergrad and grad school that I cld not get out of bed and missed exams and classes. I am taking exam without accomodation but may need to if the results suck. I figure, why don’t you try without and see how it goes. If not good, then retake with accomodations. You need to find a way to destress and decompress before exam. Try yoga, meditation, dancing whatever it takes. You got this. Good luck and I am sure you will find a way to make it work for you.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Thedude2796 wrote:
albanach wrote:
Thedude2796 wrote:
albanach wrote:

I have. Recommendations or prescriptions have only ever ended up having no effect or making things worse. I don’t think an accommodation would help since the headaches just get progressively worse throughout a period a sustained concentration. The times that the headaches don’t get worse seem to be coincidental so I wouldn’t even really know what to accommodate. I’d be alright attending a school in the 30-50 range though I guess.
This is something I'd be very concerned about in your shoes. Law school grades are going to be of critical importance to your career prospects, esp. at a school in the 30-50 range. If you get debilitating headaches whenever you take an exam, that's going to set you back a lot relative to your peers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”