International 174/Superior: New York Schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oscar50595

New

International 174/Superior: New York Schools?

Post by oscar50595 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am

Hi all, I know its meant to be a tough cycle for international students, but I've come for some prophetic wisdom.
My LSAT is 174, international GPA superior, I have an MA from London and am currently at Cambridge doing an MPHIL.
Do I have a shot at NYU/Columbia/Cornell?
Should I apply ED to any of these schools? I know that that would mean forfeiting money but if I'm going to be turned away then I will just pay sticker.
Any help greatly appreciated!

puppytiff

New

Re: International 174/Superior: New York Schools?

Post by puppytiff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am

Why is it meant to be a tough year for international student?

oscar50595

New

Post by oscar50595 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 pm

From my understanding, the number of international applicants has increased in the last few cycles, and t14 schools have become more wary of offering places due to the difficulty some non-residents have in securing work visas after graduating. On top of that, for those who are international and studied abroad (no reportable GPA), the LSAT requirements are anecdotally a little higher, and a few schools' medians have gone up.

inthetrenches21

New

Post by inthetrenches21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:25 pm

OP, I don't think it's going to be anymore difficult for internationals this year than any other. If you apply ED to NYU or Cornell, you're certainly in. An October app to Columbia would also make you a serious candidate. I'd apply to all three and use the former for scholarship negotiations. But just so you know, Cornell isn't in NYC but Ithaca. Would you consider other schools nearby? The NY legal market is the easiest to get into, don't feel pressured to go to NY to get work there.

oscar50595

New

Post by oscar50595 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:14 pm

inthetrenches21 wrote:OP, I don't think it's going to be anymore difficult for internationals this year than any other. If you apply ED to NYU or Cornell, you're certainly in. An October app to Columbia would also make you a serious candidate. I'd apply to all three and use the former for scholarship negotiations. But just so you know, Cornell isn't in NYC but Ithaca. Would you consider other schools nearby? The NY legal market is the easiest to get into, don't feel pressured to go to NY to get work there.
Ah, thats a relief to hear, I hope its true! So you recommend RD to all three? I assume you can't leverage ED at all.
I was focussing on those schools because, as I'll need employment + visa to continue work in the states after graduating, I want to be as competitive for positions as I possibly can. I'm also considering NU (ED comes with pretty good funding), Michigan, with Boston and Fordham as possible choices as well. I'm also resitting the LSAT october 6 and if I bump my score, maybe Harvard (a man can dream!).

I'd prefer east coast as thats the area I'd like to live in but beggars can't be choosers haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

inthetrenches21

New

Post by inthetrenches21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm

What kind of WE and softs do you have? A 174 will make you all but a shoe in for everything except HYS. I'd apply to Duke, UPenn, and UVA as well. Location of your school is pretty unimportant outside of wanting some specific Publix interest work, but that's difficult to find regardless. I'd apply from Harvard down the t14, you could expect some scholarship money at the lower ones. NU just reduced their ED $$$, so I'm hesitant to reccomend them, but if you're an older applicant I would seriously consider them for ED.

You can't leverage ED, and don't throw that LSAT away on Boston or Fordham.

oscar50595

New

Post by oscar50595 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 am

inthetrenches21 wrote:What kind of WE and softs do you have? A 174 will make you all but a shoe in for everything except HYS. I'd apply to Duke, UPenn, and UVA as well. Location of your school is pretty unimportant outside of wanting some specific Publix interest work, but that's difficult to find regardless. I'd apply from Harvard down the t14, you could expect some scholarship money at the lower ones. NU just reduced their ED $$$, so I'm hesitant to reccomend them, but if you're an older applicant I would seriously consider them for ED.

You can't leverage ED, and don't throw that LSAT away on Boston or Fordham.
Thanks for the advice, I'm glad that you're confident I can get in somewhere t14.
I hadn't considered UPenn for some reason, totally flew under the radar. I'll definitely put my name down. Not an older applicant so maybe RD at NU is the way to go.

My softs aren't great - I have a lot of academic accolades, internships in museums (both at home and overseas), and I'm a current graduate student at Cambridge. I was hoping to apply off the strength of my academic work and my papers on ethics and law etc.

Thanks for your help by the way, I really appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”