2.89 GPA, 167 LSAT. Is Pepperdine possible? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BullBPRed

New

2.89 GPA, 167 LSAT. Is Pepperdine possible?

Post by BullBPRed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 pm

About me:
GPA: 2.89
LSAT: 167

Caucasian male, 23 years old.

I attended a mid-sized (less than 8000) liberal arts school, and majored in Criminal Justice. My letters of recommendation are from undergrad
professors and from my direct supervisor(s) whilst working at a major pharmaceutical company and a small law firm.

I'm applying to 10+ schools but my target region is Southern California, Pepperdine included.

From what I've read Pepperdine isn't splitter friendly- with my GPA being below their 25th percentile (3.34) and my LSAT above their 75th percentile (162), what's my chance of being accepted?

I'm planning on retaking the LSAT in November and will likely apply after December 1st, but before January 1st.

If I've omitted necessary information, let me know!

aefraust

New

Re: 2.89 GPA, 167 LSAT. Is Pepperdine possible?

Post by aefraust » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:56 am

You should be solid man. having a much higher lsat is far greater then having a higher gpa. you shouldn't have any problem getting into there.

albanach

Gold

Re: 2.89 GPA, 167 LSAT. Is Pepperdine possible?

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm

aefraust wrote:You should be solid man. having a much higher lsat is far greater then having a higher gpa. you shouldn't have any problem getting into there.
While OP probably does have a solid shot at Pepperdine, it's important to consider that some schools has GPA floors, below which it is incredibly difficult to secure admission. You can see this effect on mylsn - with the OP's GPA range set to 2.8-2.9 you can push the LSAT well into the 170s and still see almost no traction in the T-14 and even at some lower ranked schools (that might be a perverse result of yield protection, where the GPA is too low for top schools yet lower schools aren't considering the applicant because of the very high LSAT).

OP - I know CA is your target, but you should really take a good look at your options. Pepperdine may accept you, but you have a very low chance of biglaw and an almost 15% chance of unemployment (as recently as 2014, this was about 20%). You might be competitive at Davis or Irvine. Also look at other schools in the T1 tier to see if any of those would match your future goals.

Return to “What are my chances?”