Chances to get into T14 minus YS Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
richardz0223

New

Chances to get into T14 minus YS

Post by richardz0223 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 am

Hi guys! First time applicant trying to gauge my chances for T14 minus YS with the following credentials:

- 3.59 UGPA (conspicuous upward trend)
- 172 LSAT (retaking in Oct for 175+)
- Two years of work experience by fall 2019 as a research manager at a healthcare nonprofit
- OK softs (a few NGO internships, a congressional internship, stugov, resident assistant, etc.)
- Strong personal statement and 2-3 strong rec letters
- US educated international student

I've used multiple law school predictors and found that some students with similar stats got into pretty good schools across T14. But I also realize that my GPA is below the 25% cutoff for most T14 schools in the last cycle. Would you guys give me some advice on where I should apply and have a realistic shot at? Would other parts of my application compensate for my GPA in any significant way? Thanks a lot!!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: Chances to get into T14 minus YS

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

Why would you assume HLS is a better chance than YLS and SLS? I think you have a decent chance at NYU (and Columbia if you get a higher LSAT), plus 7-14.

richardz0223

New

Post by richardz0223 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:03 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Why would you assume HLS is a better chance than YLS and SLS? I think you have a decent chance at NYU (and Columbia if you get a higher LSAT), plus 7-14.
Thanks for the response! I thought I got a better chance at HLS because literally no one got into YLS or SLS with my stats while a few got into HLS. I realize the chance is pretty slim but doesn't really hurt to give it a shot. Plus I just really want to go to HLS but that ambition came after I bombed my first two years of undergrad.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm

richardz0223 wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Why would you assume HLS is a better chance than YLS and SLS? I think you have a decent chance at NYU (and Columbia if you get a higher LSAT), plus 7-14.
Thanks for the response! I thought I got a better chance at HLS because literally no one got into YLS or SLS with my stats while a few got into HLS. I realize the chance is pretty slim but doesn't really hurt to give it a shot. Plus I just really want to go to HLS but that ambition came after I bombed my first two years of undergrad.
I think if you can hit 175+ you have a shot at HLS. Before last year's cycle splitters got lucky sometimes at HLS, but last cycle it was ROUGH. If you can get 175 and the apps are down this year, you might get it.

Honestly though you should be proud of your LSAT and happy that you are almost certainly going to get into a T10 school. Good things ahead for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”