Chances at SMU? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mfg28

New

Chances at SMU?

Post by mfg28 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm a non-traditional applicant in Dallas (I just turned 35). The only school I'm interested in attending is SMU. I double majored in college years ago but a bad first semester and last semester left me with a 3.11 GPA. I think that's going to be adjusted to a 2.95 or 2.98 by LSAC. I'm scheduled for the September 2018 LSAT and if my PT range is any indication, I'll end up with a 161 - 165. I've studied the LSAT for about a year on a fairly regular basis. I should add for the record that about 11 years ago I got a DUI and I've got some dings on my credit report from a bad business decision (I ran a small real estate company for 4 years).

I'm trying to determine if I've got a shot at SMU or if my GPA and the DUI kill my chances. I think I might be able to push that low 160's LSAT to the mid to higher 160's with more work on the LSAT. Should I punt the early admissions play and push to the next LSAT? Is there any advantage to early admissions? Is there an 'auto-admit' LSAT score that guarantees me admissions into SMU?

Appreciate any thoughts, advice or feedback.

Itwasascam

New

Re: Chances at SMU?

Post by Itwasascam » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Focus on getting a high score for now. Come back when you have one

164 should probably do it

DFWFellow

New

Re: Chances at SMU?

Post by DFWFellow » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 pm

I know someone who got in with a 170 LSAT and 2.8 GPA. It ultimately depends on the other applicants. If most people applying have a lsat under 161 and a high gpa, a person with your stats should balance well with the other applicants. However, if most people applying are in your shoes, they will seek those with a high gpa and lower lsat. SMU is very picky with both GPA and LSAT. They want most of the class to be above a 3.6 gpa and 161 LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”