Black Male, 3.87 GPA, 169 LSAT. Retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cyray7

New

Black Male, 3.87 GPA, 169 LSAT. Retake?

Postby cyray7 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:38 am

Stats:

* Black Male
* 3.87 GPA
* 169 LSAT score

Softs:

* Fluent in Korean, completing a master's degree in Korean Studies and International Relations at Seoul National University
* Excellent recs
* Experience working for firm in privacy law dept.
* National level e-sports championship winner (not sure if relevant? lol)

Aiming for HYS or another top school with a lot of scholarship money. Do you guys think its worth it to try and retake? My PT average is a 174.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Black Male, 3.87 GPA, 169 LSAT. Retake?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 am

I think you have a wonderful shot at all YHS with those stats!

silenttimer

Bronze

Postby silenttimer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am

I think it is worth retaking if you've been practicing around 174. You have a decent shot at top schools with your stats, but why increasing a few points would really boost it!

cityb101

New

Postby cityb101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Have you already applied and are simply waiting? Or are you planning to apply next year?

If you've already applied, I'd wait it out--maybe keep practicing logic games--and see how things go. If you're just faced with wait lists come end of March, then start studying in early April and take the June exam. If you're waiting to apply for next year, definitely retake over the summer and apply early in the fall.

Your softs sound really great, and with your URM status, your LSAT isn't too far off! GPA's strong, LSAT's essentially there…you've got the full package. Totally leave the e-sports champion in there, and maybe spin it into a personal statement/diversity statement/supplemental essay of some sort! I had no idea what that was so I had to google and it's DEFINITELY memorable (in a good way). Good luck

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 pm

silenttimer wrote:I think it is worth retaking if you've been practicing around 174. You have a decent shot at top schools with your stats, but why increasing a few points would really boost it!

A retake is unnecessary, as it won't free up any additional scholarship money for OP. Spoiler alert: you're in at two, if not all three, of the places that don't give merit awards (YHS), and you'll be receiving full rides (or close to it) from a large chunk of the T14.

Scoring a 174 vs a 169 in your shoes isn't going to cause any adcomms to throw additional money at you

cyray7

New

Postby cyray7 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 am

Thanks for your advice guys. Some of the advice is a bit conflicting but it seems like the general consensus is: retaking could be nice, but is unnecessary unless my heart is really set on going to Yale. H and S should probably accept me with a 169?

silenttimer

Bronze

Postby silenttimer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am

cyray7 wrote:Thanks for your advice guys. Some of the advice is a bit conflicting but it seems like the general consensus is: retaking could be nice, but is unnecessary unless my heart is really set on going to Yale. H and S should probably accept me with a 169?

While I agree with the poster above about your chances, in general and as a minority but not URM, I am of the opinion that if you have the ability you should get the highest score you can get. There are still people out there with the perception that all minority candidates got in because of AA and, therefore, somehow less deserving (which of course is not true). Get all the credentials you need, so no one can ever use that narrative on you!

Just my two cents.

Return to “What are my chances??