162/3.98 Mentally Ill + Queer Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bazilhazel

New

162/3.98 Mentally Ill + Queer

Post by bazilhazel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi guys!
So I double majored in Languages and Classics with a 3.98 GPA, worked two jobs throughout my undergrad, deal with several mental illnesses, and am queer. I have already been accepted into UC Irvine + Hastings and was waitlisted for CU Boulder.
What are my chances for the rest of my schools?:
UCLA
USC
UC Davis
University of Minnesota
Duke
George Washington

Thanks!

Graybrow

New

Re: 162/3.98 Mentally Ill + Queer

Post by Graybrow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 pm

This might be a silly question for other people who might comment in the thread, but is being mentally ill a URM status?

As for OP, if you're waiting on these schools this late in the cycle, it's a little iffy. With a GPA that fantastic you could do really well with a better LSAT score. That's a pretty eclectic mix of schools too. With that kind of GPA I'd take the June LSAT, try and get a 173+ and be competitive for almost every T-14. Even something in the upper-160s might make you competitive with your GPA and LGBT status. I know being told to re-take sucks, but if you do a little better with the LSAT, you can do a lot better with schools.

CALaw717

New

Re: 162/3.98 Mentally Ill + Queer

Post by CALaw717 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm

bazilhazel wrote:Hi guys!
So I double majored in Languages and Classics with a 3.98 GPA, worked two jobs throughout my undergrad, deal with several mental illnesses, and am queer. I have already been accepted into UC Irvine + Hastings and was waitlisted for CU Boulder.
What are my chances for the rest of my schools?:
UCLA
USC
UC Davis
University of Minnesota
Duke
George Washington

Thanks!
You didn't ask about handling law school with mental illness, but two people I know in law school who are battling more severe mental illness are both doing terribly in law school. One dropped out 6 weeks into 1L year, is working on better managing his/her bipolar disorder, and will attempt to return in the fall '2018. The other missed so many classes in a bar-tested class, due to depression, that he/she received an F. There was then recently a student who after failing the bar on his first try committed suicide. Serious questions to ask yourself are: Can you deal with an extreme amount of time pressure work, long hours, and stress, at levels that push mentally well people to their limits? Could you study for 3 years, then fail the bar exam, and be able to brush it off, study harder, and work to pass it a 2nd time? As an older, more mature student than most, and not battling mental illness (let alone several mental illnesses) I have been pushed to my limits a few times - especially during finals week. If I had a son/daughter with several mental illnesses, I would probably strongly discourage him/her from attending law school until those illnesses were as under control and well-managed as possible to the point that they were nearly a non-issue.

Return to “What are my chances?”