T-14 Chances? ~170 LSAT, 3.01 GPA, boatload of work experience Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Loanhighknight

New

T-14 Chances? ~170 LSAT, 3.01 GPA, boatload of work experience

Post by Loanhighknight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm taking the LSAT for the first time on Saturday--my practice tests hover between 168-172, so let's assume for the sake of argument I get a 170. I've got a 3.01 GPA, graduating in in 2010. Since then, I've been working for public affairs agencies on issues directly related to the law--I regularly work directly with lawyers and help them do their work with federal agencies/courts. So I've got what I'm hoping are strong soft creds, and I'm sure I could get statements of support from a lawyer or two.

I'm applying for the 2019 cycle.

Complicating matters is that my longtime partner is in med school and needs to apply to residency programs mid-spring 2019. So I need to know where I'm going to be by then so she knows which cities to apply in. And I emphasize "city," because for a variety of reasons, that's where the best residency odds are.

From what I've heard, it seems like my best T-14 bet is Northwestern, which would be great, especially because I'd need to apply ED for next cycle anyway. But I live in Philadelphia now, so obviously UPenn is tempting assuming my GPAs not too low (which I suspect it is).

1) How strong a candidate will I be at Northwestern and UPenn?
2) Is UChicago out of my reach?
3) I keep hearing that very top-tier schools like students with substantial work histories. To the extent that's the case at all, should I be thinking about that emphasis as something that will actually offset a weakish GPA, or strictly as something to will help differentiate me from students with the same hard factors as me? In other words, does my work experience really open doors to higher-tier schools, or does it just increase the odds of my getting into schools already willing to consider me?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: T-14 Chances? ~170 LSAT, 3.01 GPA, boatload of work experience

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Assuming a 170:

You are gonna have to apply broadly amongst the t13 plus the t20. That GPA isn't going to do you any favors. You aren't likely going to get a t6 acceptance (maybe NYU) but otherwise your target schools are going to be Mich/Uva/Duke and then NW/Cornell. You might pull 1 or 2 from the first group, but might strike out. You should be able to pull NW, but you aren't getting in ED.

You probably need a few extra points on the LSAT to offset that GPA more, but otherwise just apply broadly and see how it falls out. You will be in an unpredictable spot given that GPA being significantly lower than median for any of these schools.

But truthfully, none of this matters. Who cares what you are practice testing? Generally speaking, people score at least 5 points lower than their average PT on a real test. If I had a penny for each person who said I am PTing 168-172 and then come back asking for advice with a 160, I would literally be a rich person.

Focus on the LSAT. That is the only thing that matters. You will need a 172+ to have a decent shot at any of the t13s. A 170 probably won't cut it.

Loanhighknight

New

Post by Loanhighknight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Assuming a 170:

You are gonna have to apply broadly amongst the t13 plus the t20. That GPA isn't going to do you any favors. You aren't likely going to get a t6 acceptance (maybe NYU) but otherwise your target schools are going to be Mich/Uva/Duke and then NW/Cornell. You might pull 1 or 2 from the first group, but might strike out. You should be able to pull NW, but you aren't getting in ED.

You probably need a few extra points on the LSAT to offset that GPA more, but otherwise just apply broadly and see how it falls out. You will be in an unpredictable spot given that GPA being significantly lower than median for any of these schools.

But truthfully, none of this matters. Who cares what you are practice testing? Generally speaking, people score at least 5 points lower than their average PT on a real test. If I had a penny for each person who said I am PTing 168-172 and then come back asking for advice with a 160, I would literally be a rich person.

Focus on the LSAT. That is the only thing that matters. You will need a 172+ to have a decent shot at any of the t13s. A 170 probably won't cut it.
Super useful info. Thanks! I take your answer to mean that soft factors are ultimately still just soft factors--so I'll see what I can do to not add to this hypothetical wealth of yours.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Assuming 170:

You're pretty much out at T6. Go ahead and apply but I certainly wouldn't count on NYU or Chicago.
Maybe 25% shot at UPenn, 50% at UVa.
Northwestern is the T14 school that's most known for preferring people with substantial W/E. People with similar numbers to yours get in around 30-40% of the time, but you probably have better odds than that due to your W/E.
Somewhere around 40-50% shot at GULC and UT.

Also with a 170 you'd be more or less guaranteed at WUSTL with money as well as GWU with less money.

I'm not sure how much a few additional points beyond 170 would really help you. 172 you're probably looking at a somewhat better shot at Michigan, Vandy and UCLA but still no realistic shot at T6....I think you'd need 175+ before NYU becomes plausible.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Feel free to private message me for some input. I can't post anonymously here fsr, and don't feel like outing myself too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”