3.3 GPA/164 LSAT - BU/Emory/Notre Dame Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CBA15

New

3.3 GPA/164 LSAT - BU/Emory/Notre Dame

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi guys I wanted a realistic input on my chances at the above specified schools.

Went to W&L undergrad, majored in Politics and Studio Art. Working at a BL firm as a paralegal in DC in Antitrust for 2 years (great contacts and recommendations from senior partners). I submitted my applications just shortly ago - what are my chances at these respective schools? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Zero Hedge

New

Re: 3.3 GPA/164 LSAT - BU/Emory/Notre Dame

Post by Zero Hedge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Your experience might be enough to tip the scales from WL to accept in some of these cases.

http://mylsn.info/w8hps5/

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Zero Hedge wrote:Your experience might be enough to tip the scales from WL to accept in some of these cases.

http://mylsn.info/w8hps5/
Thanks. If it helps I'm strongly considering returning to my firm after law school (and have had some promises from the mid/senior associates on my team that they would put in a good word if so).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Those are 3 schools in totally different markets. What are your career goals?

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Those are 3 schools in totally different markets. What are your career goals?
End goal is to be general counsel for something art related, ie a museum or auction house. But my question was more what my chances were at these particular schools, not necessarily if I should go/these were the only schools I am applying to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm

CBA15 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Those are 3 schools in totally different markets. What are your career goals?
End goal is to be general counsel for something art related, ie a museum or auction house
Word of warning: people are going to tell you to retake if that is the goal.

If you want to end back up in DC, have you considered applying to W&M and back at W&L? With your stats, you may get decent scholarships.

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

silenttimer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
End goal is to be general counsel for something art related, ie a museum or auction house

If you want to end back up in DC, have you considered applying to W&M and back at W&L? With your stats, you may get decent scholarships.
Sorry I made an edit after you replied. But my question was more towards what my chances were at these schools, not necessarily if I should go.

Also, would retaking be more because I would be unlikely to break that market with the schools? I was strongly considering going back to my current firm after law school and gaining experience to eventually make the GC transition later.
Last edited by CBA15 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm

CBA15 wrote:
silenttimer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

Sorry I made an edit after you replied. But my question was more towards what my chances were at these schools, not necessarily if I should go.

Also, would retaking be more because I would be unlikely to break that market with the schools? I was strongly considering going back to my current firm after law school and gaining experience to eventually make the GC transition later.
While you might be "strongly considering" going back to the firm, there is absolutely nothing close to a guarantee you will be back. A few years is a lifetime in the legal employment world and there is nothing even remotely close to a job waiting for you. You need to retake.

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
silenttimer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

While you might be "strongly considering" going back to the firm, there is absolutely nothing close to a guarantee you will be back. A few years is a lifetime in the legal employment world and there is nothing even remotely close to a job waiting for you. You need to retake.
Thank you, this is noted. But I still would like to know my chances at these schools if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm

CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
silenttimer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

Thank you, this is noted. But I still would like to know my chances at these schools if possible.
that should be the end of the conversation. Even if you get into these schools, you won't get any money and thus a 200-300k investment for outcomes that won't match your desired outcomes means this is a moot point. I had a significantly better gpa and the same lsat a fw application cycles ago, got into BU and ND with minimal money, waitlisted at Emory. I decided to retake after people here pushed me to, got a mid 170 score, and now my legal education is being paid for at a Duke/UVA. So I actually am positioned to tell you how much a difference a retake will make here.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm

CBA15 wrote:Thank you, this is noted. But I still would like to know my chances at these schools if possible.
Someone already provided you with the MyLSN link, so I'm not sure what you're looking for...

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
silenttimer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

that should be the end of the conversation. Even if you get into these schools, you won't get any money and thus a 200-300k investment for outcomes that won't match your desired outcomes means this is a moot point. I had a significantly better gpa and the same lsat a fw application cycles ago, got into BU and ND with minimal money, waitlisted at Emory. I decided to retake after people here pushed me to, got a mid 170 score, and now my legal education is being paid for at a Duke/UVA. So I actually am positioned to tell you how much a difference a retake will make here.
Thanks, I guess my frustration was with why these schools wouldn't help with eventually becoming a GC for a museum. Can you give me insight as to why?

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
CBA15 wrote:Thank you, this is noted. But I still would like to know my chances at these schools if possible.
Someone already provided you with the MyLSN link, so I'm not sure what you're looking for...
I think I was just looking for some human information aside from the tool's statistics (which I thought was the point of this forum?)
Last edited by CBA15 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

Thanks, I guess my frustration was with why these schools wouldn't help with eventually becoming a GC for a museum. Can you give me insight as to why?
Because I imagine there are literally only a handful of these jobs and unfortunately in the legal employment world, prestige matters a lot. These are good schools, but not prestigious. I can easily see 1-2 of these jobs open a year, but a decent chunk of people from Yale/Harvard/Stanford alone who would want these positions. Guess what? They will get those opportunities way before you do from these schools.

The less available a job is/ the more prestigious the job is means something like a GC at a museum means you have to go to the best school possible for the lowest price possible given the EXTREME likelihood you will never sniff a museum GC job. Plus those three schools are pretty limited geographically. If you want to work in Atlanta, then Emory is good choice so long as the price matches. Same with ND in the Midwest. Etc etc. Going to BU isn't going to help you land a GC job in California. That is why people keep asking what you want to do and where. If you want geographic portability with your degree, then you need to go to a t13 school. There is a reason this group is delineated from the other schools- because they are the schools that offer a broader geographical presence. A degree from UVA opens up doors in every location. A degree from Emory does not.

Given your numbers, even if you get into any of these three, you wont get any scholarship. That is an unacceptable risk for most people, given your then 0% chance of getting the job you want, being stuck in a geographic location you might not want to be in, and having to pay back 250,000 in loans.

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

Because I imagine there are literally only a handful of these jobs and unfortunately in the legal employment world, prestige matters a lot. These are good schools, but not prestigious. I can easily see 1-2 of these jobs open a year, but a decent chunk of people from Yale/Harvard/Stanford alone who would want these positions. Guess what? They will get those opportunities way before you do from these schools.

The less available a job is/ the more prestigious the job is means something like a GC at a museum means you have to go to the best school possible for the lowest price possible given the EXTREME likelihood you will never sniff a museum GC job. Plus those three schools are pretty limited geographically. If you want to work in Atlanta, then Emory is good choice so long as the price matches. Same with ND in the Midwest. Etc etc. Going to BU isn't going to help you land a GC job in California. That is why people keep asking what you want to do and where. If you want geographic portability with your degree, then you need to go to a t13 school. There is a reason this group is delineated from the other schools- because they are the schools that offer a broader geographical presence. A degree from UVA opens up doors in every location. A degree from Emory does not.

Given your numbers, even if you get into any of these three, you wont get any scholarship. That is an unacceptable risk for most people, given your then 0% chance of getting the job you want, being stuck in a geographic location you might not want to be in, and having to pay back 250,000 in loans.
Got it. Just to confirm, only 1-2 of these jobs open up a year?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

Got it. Just to confirm, only 1-2 of these jobs open up a year?
I truly have no idea, but I cannot imagine a whole lot of good museum GC jobs are open ever. This is something you should investigate more if you are thinking about making a 250k gamble. You really sound like you are rushing into something you truly do not know much about.

The best course of action, that literally changed my life, was to finally decide to take a step back, reassess, retake, and reapply. Truly changed my life.

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I truly have no idea, but I cannot imagine a whole lot of good museum GC jobs are open ever. This is something you should investigate more if you are thinking about making a 250k gamble. You really sound like you are rushing into something you truly do not know much about.

The best course of action, that literally changed my life, was to finally decide to take a step back, reassess, retake, and reapply. Truly changed my life.
Thanks, I was more just asking because I was wary of the accuracy of the statistic. But I appreciate all of the feedback.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm

CBA15 wrote:

Thanks, I was more just asking because I was wary of the accuracy of the statistic. But I appreciate all of the feedback.
And you should take the feedback. People who commented here have real experience with all this. I would tell you to do 3 things:

1- Look on linkedin/etc for the people who have the kind of job you want. See where they went to school. Email them, ask to talk to them about how they got their jobs.

2- Start planning a June/September retake and start studying.

3- Do more research about schools, employment outcomes, geographic portability, student loans, etc. Given the unlikelihood that you will ever get the job you want, you need to think about what jobs are LIKELY from each school and what you want to do. You cannot rely on your firm giving you a job nor this museum GC idea. So think about what else you would like to do given the very real possibility you need to do something else with a JD.

CBA15

New

Post by CBA15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
CBA15 wrote:

And you should take the feedback. People who commented here have real experience with all this. I would tell you to do 3 things:

1- Look on linkedin/etc for the people who have the kind of job you want. See where they went to school. Email them, ask to talk to them about how they got their jobs.

2- Start planning a June/September retake and start studying.

3- Do more research about schools, employment outcomes, geographic portability, student loans, etc. Given the unlikelihood that you will ever get the job you want, you need to think about what jobs are LIKELY from each school and what you want to do. You cannot rely on your firm giving you a job nor this museum GC idea. So think about what else you would like to do given the very real possibility you need to do something else with a JD.
Thank you. I will be sure to reach out to those with actual knowledge of this field.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”