155 LSAT, 3.7 Undergraduate GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
j.lynn23

New

155 LSAT, 3.7 Undergraduate GPA

Post by j.lynn23 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi,

I wanted to get the opinion from current and past law school applicants on my chances of getting into Law School. I know I am not getting a shot into Yale or Harvard, the schools I am really looking into are:

University of North Carolina
Wake Forest
University of Richmond
Washington & Lee
William & Mary
George MAson
St. Johns
Fordham

Reach/Dream Schools being . . .
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington

I want to know what are my real chances of getting into these schools with my score. I really do not want to take the LSAT again as this was my second attempt, improving by 6 points, but if it is my only option then I will try.

I also wanted to know if because my score is median, if waiting to apply next September/October when the application just come out is best, rather than applying now.

Do I have any hopes for scholarship possibility?

Would love to hear back from people who have scores like, near, or below mine and who have applied to schools like my list and what were the outcomes, I need real feedback to feel confident in any of my decisions -> purchasing another prep course or applying.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 155 LSAT, 3.7 Undergraduate GPA

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Unless you're a URM, you won't get into any of the schools you want at a price that you should be comfortable paying. A retake will most certainly help in that.

Where do you want to work, and what do you want to do with your law degree? You could effectively narrow your list down if you pick a region/state you want to work in and have ties.

These are your chances based on available data. It's really sparse, so I'd hesitate to rely on it too heavily.

j.lynn23

New

Post by j.lynn23 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

I am not a URM. I am from New York, but wish to live and work south, preferably South Carolina to D.C. are the states I am narrowing my selection to. Being from New York though, I will still apply to New York schools, in case I decide after being accepted and to give myself enough options.

Retaking the exam is an option I am considering, after two prep courses, I think I know exactly what I need in order to get past a 155, however I have heard that most people who take the LSAT a second time go up at most usually 2 to 3 points, and with my 6 point improvement, I am worried I do not have much room left. I studied almost full-time for the December LSAT that gave me my 155, so I am a bit concerned but I am willing to try if necessary.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm

j.lynn23 wrote:I am not a URM. I am from New York, but wish to live and work south, preferably South Carolina to D.C. are the states I am narrowing my selection to. Being from New York though, I will still apply to New York schools, in case I decide after being accepted and to give myself enough options.
What sort of work do you want to do in the mid-Atlantic?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
j.lynn23 wrote:I am not a URM. I am from New York, but wish to live and work south, preferably South Carolina to D.C. are the states I am narrowing my selection to. Being from New York though, I will still apply to New York schools, in case I decide after being accepted and to give myself enough options.
What sort of work do you want to do in the mid-Atlantic?
In case this isn't read clearly, Cav is asking if you want to work in a law firm (and you should specify big vs. small), work for a local or state government, public interest organization like a non-profit, or some other outcome.

Maybe think of it this way: what sort of organization would you like to work for, and what sort of compensation are you looking to get at that organization?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

j.lynn23

New

Post by j.lynn23 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:05 pm

You see, I am still trying to decide all of that, I am not quite sure. I believe at a smaller firm I will get more responsibility, which I do like, but I am not exactly opposed to the large firm pay. Government would be an interesting place, but I am not sure exactly, I would not be opposed to it. I like nonprofit, but I do hope to someday pay back my loans and have a savings for future children, so it really all depends. I started researching the law school career route at the start of senior year of my undergraduate career, fell in love with the subject matter of the law class I took, and started working part-time as a paralegal after graduation where I routinely draft documents, file motions, and prepare retainers; but in regards to an exact plan of where I would like to work, I really don't know because I don't know how someone knows until you worked their. I have read many articles, but in the end they really did not help me decide where I should work . . .

How do law applicants know before studying law and talking with professors and career counselors their exact plans after?
Should I really wait to apply and get more job experience to decide all of this before law school, or do I go by what I know, which is that I love learning the legal subject matter, I read books on past cases and love them, and just feel that this is the field for me?

I do not have family in the legal field, so it makes it difficult asking and finding the right answers to my questions.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 am

You shouldn't go to law school with those numbers.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am

You are unlikely to place in a large law from most law schools that would admit you with that LSAT score.

Small law and state/local government are possibilities, but paying off your loans and having savings will be a challenge. For small law, you could be on income based repayment, but you'd have to pay for 25 years to get loans forgiven and then you take a tax hit. For government or non profit, assuming PSLF continues to exist, you could pay 10 years and get forgiveness, no tax hit. But small law and state/local government pay is still low. We're talking $50-80k, depending on location and experience. Breaking six figures is unlikely.

Edit: Also seconding TripleM - just start reaching out to attorneys. Browse firm websites, look at practice areas you're interested in, email the attorneys, and ask them to connect you to more attorneys who can tell you about other aspects you need to know.

Study smarter/harder for the LSAT. If you can break 160, this will look a lot more viable financially, at least for regional schools. Still expensive, but not completely absurd. 165+ and you're on an even better footing.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm

A couple of thoughts/questions. I saw that you took prep courses, but how much outside study did you do? Many people spend month or even years after taking a course studying for the LSAT. It seems dumb to say this, but at 165 you're a completely different candidate.

Secondly, loving the law isn't necessarily a great reason to go to law school, given the debt that you'd be taking on. I'm not saying you shouldn't attend, but until and unless you have a better idea of how you would pay back the large debt I wouldn't take it on. You could continue to read cases and enjoy the law as a hobby without taking on potentially crippling debt. Nothing like a $3,000/month debt to sour your love of the law.

I get what you mean as far not having any family. I have found that attorneys have been amazingly willing to speak with me. You should talk to attorneys who are doing the sorts of work you're interested in. I think you'll find them very willing to share their honest opinions.

In general, I'd say that it seems like you need to develop your vision a little more. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't go to law school, but that you've got a bit more work to go before you make that decision.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes, you need to find attorneys in these fields and talk to them. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do, but you should have a much firmer idea than you currently do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”