What are my chances for Stanford and/or Georgetown Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mcmand

Silver

Re: What are my chances for Stanford and/or Georgetown

Post by mcmand » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm

QabusNama wrote:While in law school my aim is to reach fluency in a third language.
You will not have time for that.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laowhynot109

New

Post by laowhynot109 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 pm

QabusNama wrote:
laowhynot109 wrote:
QabusNama wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
QabusNama wrote:
Rigo wrote:Tufts won't help you.

Blanket T13 NYU on down. Apply to the T20, WUSTL for $$$ and USC too. Don't cross good options off your list up front just because you talked to a person. Maximize your options now and decide on that stuff later.
Why wouldn't Tufts help me? Do you have any idea of the rigor/quality of education here? Still I will apply to all T13 and a few T20 schools
Tufts won't help you because:
(a) law schools don't care much about undergrad rigor/quality except possibly the top few (HYPS)
(b) even if law schools did care, Tufts is probably average or even below average among T13 students
No vitriol intended, but Im not sure you know what kind of school Tufts is. For the last several years it has ben ranked higher than UC Berkeley,Cornell,and Notre Dame. Last year was rated higher than University of Chicago, Cal Tech, Duke, and Georgetown. Sure rankings might not mean anything as they often fluctuate significantly, but to claim that we are below average is among T13 is just ignorant.

FACT CHECK:

Tufts is ranked 29th by US News. That is lower than every single school that you just listed. Don't get me wrong, Tufts is a great school. However, you are not special just because you went to Tufts.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... iversities
FACT CHECK: this is the source I am referring to https://www.forbes.com/sites/nataliespo ... 97d6c74b0f

Guess they didn't hold onto it: https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#tab:rank

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm

mcmand wrote:
QabusNama wrote:While in law school my aim is to reach fluency in a third language.
You will not have time for that.
To make this a bit clearer, the value of any time spent on this would be vastly better spent trying to improve your law school GPA. You are more likely to work in international arbitration with a 3.9 GPA than with a 3.7 and fluency in another language.

About the only scenario where I could think language study would be a worthwhile use of time in law school would be if your goal is public service indigent representation and you only speak English.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”