Reverse Splitter, need advice t14 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MFLeviathan

New

Reverse Splitter, need advice t14

Post by MFLeviathan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Last edited by MFLeviathan on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Reverse Splitter, need advice t14

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:27 pm

There is no such thing as a reverse splitter, just someone who needs to retake.

Just retake. You have so much time. Take it senior year, but I would recommend taking a few years off anyway. Law schools are really valuing work experience and the maturing effect it has on students.

But regardless, retake when you feel ready. If that's June or September, either is fine. You could also take both.

MFLeviathan

New

Post by MFLeviathan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks for the quick follow up. I am forsure going to retake. Likely June so I have adequate time to get my application in as early as possible. If I am unable to raise my score after the third time do you have any insight into my chances at these schools (I know most if not all are reaches).

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 pm

While many schools say it's ideal to have as few LSAT scores as possible on file, most schools only really care about your highest (they only have to report your highest to the ABA, for one). So, a really good fourth score is better than an okay third score.

As for timing of the apps, you can definitely send in your applications once they become available in August/September even if you are registered for the September LSAT. While schools might not review your app until the Sept. score is posted, many schools don't start reviewing apps until October anyway, which will be around the time the Sept. scores post. However, it's probably better to not have to be studying for the LSAT while working on applications, so that might be a downside of taking the exam in September (if you are going to be working on the application essays in the months leading up to the apps becoming available).

ETA: Here's a link to a somewhat useful website to gauge your chances. I've inputted a LSAT range of 163-164 and a GPA range of 3.9-3.95 in the link provided to get more data points while remaining pretty close to your actual numbers.

MFLeviathan

New

Post by MFLeviathan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:44 pm

personpitch wrote:While many schools say it's ideal to have as few LSAT scores as possible on file, most schools only really care about your highest (they only have to report your highest to the ABA, for one). So, a really good fourth score is better than an okay third score.

As for timing of the apps, you can definitely send in your applications once they become available in August/September even if you are registered for the September LSAT. While schools might not review your app until the Sept. score is posted, many schools don't start reviewing apps until October anyway, which will be around the time the Sept. scores post. However, it's probably better to not have to be studying for the LSAT while working on applications, so that might be a downside of taking the exam in September (if you are going to be working on the application essays in the months leading up to the apps becoming available).
Thank you for the advice. I will just register when I feel ready I guess rather than forcing a specific date like the last two times. Do you think it would be wise to include an addendum explaining how I consistently ptd higher and extreme testing anxiety got the best of me or is it futile? Also should I include in the addendum that my gpa is being brought down by ~.05 due to the B- from high school? (I feel even that small numerical difference will be a determining factor for WL or Accept in my case) I had a lengthy battle with my school's admissions office asking them to remove it from transcript, but was unsuccessful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FN-2187

Bronze

Post by FN-2187 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:52 pm

MFLeviathan wrote:Also should I include in the addendum that my gpa is being brought down by ~.05 due to the B- from high school? (I feel even that small numerical difference will be a determining factor for WL or Accept in my case) I had a lengthy battle with my school's admissions office asking them to remove it from transcript, but was unsuccessful.
1) your 3.93 puts you above every school's median—it won't be the reason you get WL or accepted.
2) They will look at your transcript and see your near-perfect grades, so no, you shouldn't include an addendum explaining what the admission office can see.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:49 am

An addendum in your case would do more harm than good. Other posters are right though, that GPA is way too good to not retake until you can at least get into the high 160s.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:18 am

Retake. You earned a high gpa, and as little improvement as 3 points to a 167 will net you BIG returns

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 pm

MFLeviathan wrote:Start studying for GRE maybe?
Once you have reportable LSAT scores, the GRE won't help you since law schools will have to report your LSATs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 pm

MFLeviathan wrote:Thanks for the quick follow up. I am forsure going to retake. Likely June so I have adequate time to get my application in as early as possible. If I am unable to raise my score after the third time do you have any insight into my chances at these schools (I know most if not all are reaches).
Don't set dates as your goal, set scores as your goal. It doesn't matter if it's your third or tenth time, the score is all that matters.

In the mean time, I'm sure someone with a 3.93 from UCLA/Cal can find a job. Just work that job.

MFLeviathan

New

Post by MFLeviathan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:41 am

pancakes3 wrote:
MFLeviathan wrote:Thanks for the quick follow up. I am forsure going to retake. Likely June so I have adequate time to get my application in as early as possible. If I am unable to raise my score after the third time do you have any insight into my chances at these schools (I know most if not all are reaches).
Don't set dates as your goal, set scores as your goal. It doesn't matter if it's your third or tenth time, the score is all that matters.

In the mean time, I'm sure someone with a 3.93 from UCLA/Cal can find a job. Just work that job.
thank you for the advice, even with a 164 do I have a shot to gtown.penn.uva.umich. early decision from kjd?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 am

MFLeviathan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

thank you for the advice, even with a 164 do I have a shot to gtown.penn.uva.umich. early decision from kjd?
Are you asking whether it might be okay to forego the few hundred bucks it will cost you to retake the LSAT for the honor of going to law school with no discount, potentially lighting $100k on fire?
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 am

MFLeviathan wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

A 3.93/163 for a non-URM has a very poor chance at those schools. GT might be the exception but you don't want to be attending there at sticker.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Once you have reportable LSAT scores, the GRE won't help you since law schools will have to report your LSATs.
source? i'm not sure if schools like HLS have yet specified whether they will or will not pick one of the tests (lsat or gre) to report the score for those who have taken both.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 am

appind wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
source? i'm not sure if schools like HLS have yet specified whether they will or will not pick one of the tests (lsat or gre) to report the score for those who have taken both.
99% sure the ABA and/or USNews has said that LSAT must be reported if the applicant has one

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:42 am

chargers21 wrote:
appind wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
99% sure the ABA and/or USNews has said that LSAT must be reported if the applicant has one
i believe spivey had a post couple of pages back in his thread suggesting it's not set in stone yet. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10207894
That is my default. My guess is that, if there is change, it won't be in test score weight but rather the school can choose whether they submit the GRE or LSAT of you have both, and if that is the case nothing in the above that I just said changes.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 am

appind wrote:i believe spivey had a post couple of pages back in his thread suggesting it's not set in stone yet. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10207894
That is my default. My guess is that, if there is change, it won't be in test score weight but rather the school can choose whether they submit the GRE or LSAT of you have both, and if that is the case nothing in the above that I just said changes.
Well, yeah, all kinds of stuff can happen in the future. But I highly doubt, for this cycle at least, that law schools are going to make admissions decisions based on that kind of speculation. The current rule is that they have to report all valid LSATs, and they can't risk screwing up their medians by relying on something else.

Lo and behold, right there on HLS's website:
[Q:] Will HLS report my LSAT score to the American Bar Association (ABA) if I take both the LSAT and the GRE?

[A:] Yes. If you take the LSAT, then we will report the LSAT score to the ABA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”