159 LSAT/3.65 GPA/M.A. Degree/Native American/Gay/Decent Softs Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
icechicken

Bronze

Re: 159 LSAT/3.65 GPA/M.A. Degree/Native American/Gay/Decent Softs

Post by icechicken » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 am

159 on the LSAT basically disqualifies you from all of the T20, which is a shame because the rest of your resume is pretty solid. You should focus on improving that LSAT score until the well runs dry and then start deciding where to apply. What schools you need to be targeting depends on your career goals, but you probably won't have any good options as things currently stand.

wolfromkev

New

Post by wolfromkev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:45 am

I just looked at someone who got accepted to harvard w/ a 164 and a lower GPA than yours (URM), I would blanket the T14 !

birdlaw92

New

Post by birdlaw92 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 am

icechicken wrote:159 on the LSAT basically disqualifies you from all of the T20, which is a shame because the rest of your resume is pretty solid. You should focus on improving that LSAT score until the well runs dry and then start deciding where to apply. What schools you need to be targeting depends on your career goals, but you probably won't have any good options as things currently stand.
No. It does not "basically disqualify" me from T20 schools based on the LSN data.

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / African-American Applicants/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/u9d9cg/
Example: Harvard: 33%/Columbia 50%/Michigan 70%/UT: 100%

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / URM Applicants Only/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/0t6m83/
Example: Harvard: 19%/Columbia 37%/Michigan 37%/UT: 52%

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / Non-URM Applicants Only/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/vsrf0w/
Example: Harvard:0%/Columbia 0%/Michigan 6%/UT:12%

Some estimate the "boost" as similar to AA applicants or slightly under. So, I consider the URM applicant data, including AA data, to be the most accurate predictor, but it still does not provide insight into what I assume is a varying degree of boost by from school to school in the T20s.

Does anyone have any insights into which schools give more weight to Native American applicants or have a greater commitment to enrolling native students in the T20, relative to other URM-applicants? I know the data on Native Applicants is scarce, so any insights are appreciated!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 am

or you could just... retake.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:17 am

Email the T14 asking for a fee waiver and blanket apply and see if you get accepted. Surely someone will bite.

Prolly should set up a February retake anyways but might as well start the application process and see if ou get in somewhere. Worst case scenario, you don’t and reapply next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Intro-gamer

New

Post by Intro-gamer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 am

It is definitely an exaggeration IMO to say that you are shut out of the T-14 with your current stats. If I’m not mistaken, NA may actually receive a larger boost than AA in law school admissions based on previous URM cycles (although this is difficult to prove with the scarcity of NA applicant data on MYLSN and similar sites). I don’t think it’s wrong to think you are situated for a similar boost as AA.

However, while I disagree with the notion that you are shut out with your current stats, I do agree with the general advice to retake. Getting >160 could be a game changer for you. So if you have it in you to retake then I’d advise that you do that.

As far as your chances for the T-20 I would guess you’d have some bites with an early app. The cards may be stacked against you with a later app though. It’s not clear which schools you have a good chance of getting into (because of scarcity of data as previously mentioned). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with applying and seeing what you get. But I would still advise that you poise yourself for a retake to maximize your options.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 pm

birdlaw92 wrote:
icechicken wrote:159 on the LSAT basically disqualifies you from all of the T20, which is a shame because the rest of your resume is pretty solid. You should focus on improving that LSAT score until the well runs dry and then start deciding where to apply. What schools you need to be targeting depends on your career goals, but you probably won't have any good options as things currently stand.
No. It does not "basically disqualify" me from T20 schools based on the LSN data.

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / African-American Applicants/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/u9d9cg/
Example: Harvard: 33%/Columbia 50%/Michigan 70%/UT: 100%

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / URM Applicants Only/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/0t6m83/
Example: Harvard: 19%/Columbia 37%/Michigan 37%/UT: 52%

LSAT 158-160/ GPA 3.45-3.85 / Non-URM Applicants Only/ Past 5 years http://mylsn.info/vsrf0w/
Example: Harvard:0%/Columbia 0%/Michigan 6%/UT:12%

Some estimate the "boost" as similar to AA applicants or slightly under. So, I consider the URM applicant data, including AA data, to be the most accurate predictor, but it still does not provide insight into what I assume is a varying degree of boost by from school to school in the T20s.

Does anyone have any insights into which schools give more weight to Native American applicants or have a greater commitment to enrolling native students in the T20, relative to other URM-applicants? I know the data on Native Applicants is scarce, so any insights are appreciated!
But that GPA range is insane, and there's a huge difference between a 159 and 160.

I think you can always apply to the T13, but you really don't have great odds with your current stats. Just retake instead of trying to figure out which schools are going to give you more preferential treatment, because no one can actually tell you that info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”