Tribally enrolled American Indian, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA (upward trending) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Law School Native

New

Tribally enrolled American Indian, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA (upward trending)

Post by Law School Native » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm looking at the fellowing schools:
Reaches:
Harvard ( I know my LSAT and GPA are low for Harvard but I have softs that would make me very appealing as a candidate for their Tribal Law program.)
NYU
Columbia
Targets:
Fordham
Saint John's.

My undergraduate is at a decent state Uni and I am graduating early.
Last edited by Law School Native on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Tribally enrolled American Indian, 160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA (upward trending)

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Your chances are 0% if you keep calling it "Harved".

Retaking is likely your best move, especially since you haven't even graduated yet. But what are your career goals?

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your chances are 0% if you keep calling it "Harved".

Retaking is likely your best move, especially since you haven't even graduated yet. But what are your career goals?
Lol! Fair enough. I don't have time to retake due to life circumstances. My legal career interests are tribal law, criminal law and gaming law. I have good softs that I can not go into and I can work for my tribe down the line so I don't have to worry about being boxed out of the legal market.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Law School Native wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Your chances are 0% if you keep calling it "Harved".

Lol! Fair enough. I don't have time to retake due to life circumstances. My legal career interests are tribal law, criminal law and gaming law. I have good softs that I can not go into and I can work for my tribe down the line so I don't have to worry about being boxed out of the legal market.
I'm going to hazard a guess that you can retake, because otherwise you're saying that you have circumstances which will prevent you from going to law school at all unless it's next year. And since law school isn't going anywhere, I'm skeptical.

But given your interests, why focus on top schools? If your tribe is in New York, then going to Fordham with a good scholarship would probably be better for your financial health and be just as serviceable a degree in the areas of law you want to work in.

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Fordham has been my target school from the get go (Harvard being Harvard.) which is why I want to know my odds of getting into each of the New York schools I have listed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Law School Native wrote:Fordham has been my target school from the get go (Harvard being Harvard.) which is why I want to know my odds of getting into each of the New York schools I have listed.
You're not getting Harvard. Probably out at CCN, and decent chance at Fordham. You aren't looking at much money there, so a retake is in your best interest, even if you really, really don't want to.

No one should ever go to St. John's, because it's not a law school, it's a scam.

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Law School Native wrote:Fordham has been my target school from the get go (Harvard being Harvard.) which is why I want to know my odds of getting into each of the New York schools I have listed.
You're not getting Harvard. Probably out at CCN, and decent chance at Fordham. You aren't looking at much money there, so a retake is in your best interest, even if you really, really don't want to.

No one should ever go to St. John's, because it's not a law school, it's a scam.
How much money at Fordham? I have opitions for financial aid outside of the school offered scholarship but I would love more information.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:No one should ever go to St. John's, because it's not a law school, it's a scam.
I have friends who go/have went there and damn my jaw dropped. I'm curious to know why you think that

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Poor employment statistics, very expensive, and IIRC they're known to section-stack scholarships/only offer scholarships with stipulations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm

there needs to be a new batch of on-topic poasters to take the time and effort to explain "retake." cav is growing weary and the work is suffering.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 pm

pancakes3 wrote:there needs to be a new batch of on-topic poasters to take the time and effort to explain "retake." cav is growing weary and the work is suffering.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised...

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Look at CUNY, Cardozo, Brooklyn, and Cornell, too. But I think you should retake

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:30 am

Law School Native wrote:How much money at Fordham? I have opitions for financial aid outside of the school offered scholarship but I would love more information.
Fordham has a reputation for being stingy in general and you don't have stats worth dropping a pile of money on. MyLSN suggests that, assuming you get accepted, you have a pretty good chance at a mid-five-figures tuition discount from Fordham, leaving a total cost of well over $200k. I wouldn't expect a whole lot more scholarship than that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”