3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hstrat

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby Hstrat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Non-URM Hispanic, and have no especially stand-out softs (probably about as interesting as the ones listed for the last Rothman scholar, so not prohibitively bad). 2 years WE.

Just got an email from USC telling me I'm a "strong candidate" for their Rothman scholarship. That scholarship sounds amazing (or at the very least like a great negotiating chip). However, I've already got a full ride offer from WUSTL, so I don't think I'd be interested in USC unless I received it.

Am I genuinely a decent candidate for it? Reading the profiles of past winners, it's hard to tell where I fall. This is a hard thing to check on LSN, so I'm not really sure.

Apologies if I haven't provided enough detail to answer this: I'd be happy to answer questions.

EDIT: Looking into it a little more, it looks like that email blast probably doesn't mean much. Still interested in whether or not I've got a shot at the Rothman though!

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby proteinshake » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

where do you want to practice and what do you want to do

Hstrat

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby Hstrat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:58 pm

proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.

User avatar
OakBrook2021

Bronze
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby OakBrook2021 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm

I applied for it too, but I have no idea what the numbers or softs of a "typical" Rothman scholar looks like. It seems like a better outcome than a full at WUSTL if you want to practice in LA since you get that 1L SA at Skadden. Idk if it's better than $$$$ at a T14, however; and I'd be shocked you don't get some $$$$ with a 177

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5054
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Hstrat wrote:
proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.


Wait, why is biglaw part of the attraction? You're bound to get into T13 schools with much better biglaw placement rates than USC.

Hstrat

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby Hstrat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:04 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:I applied for it too, but I have no idea what the numbers or softs of a "typical" Rothman scholar looks like. It seems like a better outcome than a full at WUSTL if you want to practice in LA since you get that 1L SA at Skadden. Idk if it's better than $$$$ at a T14, however; and I'd be shocked you don't get some $$$$ with a 177


This is kind of why I'm wondering. With a full ride to WUSTL already in my pocket, the only reason I'd go to USC is for the Rothman. Considering the Skadden angle, I figure it could also be useful in negotiations with T13s, but anything short of it would probably be useless on that front. I'd be shooting them an app exclusively in the hopes of being the one person who gets the Rothman. Not sure if my chances at it warrant spending $35.

cavalier1138 wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.


Wait, why is biglaw part of the attraction? You're bound to get into T13 schools with much better biglaw placement rates than USC.


I don't have numbers on it, but I'd still be fairly confident that Rothman scholars have a better biglaw placement rate than the T13s I'm likely to get into - possibly better than any T13, absent some similar scholarship at one of those schools, which I'm unlikely to receive considering my GPA. That said, I'd probably take a T13 with substantial money over the Rothman, because it would keep non-biglaw options/biglaw in cities other than LA open to me in case I change my mind.

SolemnMan

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby SolemnMan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Hstrat wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:I applied for it too, but I have no idea what the numbers or softs of a "typical" Rothman scholar looks like. It seems like a better outcome than a full at WUSTL if you want to practice in LA since you get that 1L SA at Skadden. Idk if it's better than $$$$ at a T14, however; and I'd be shocked you don't get some $$$$ with a 177


This is kind of why I'm wondering. With a full ride to WUSTL already in my pocket, the only reason I'd go to USC is for the Rothman. Considering the Skadden angle, I figure it could also be useful in negotiations with T13s, but anything short of it would probably be useless on that front. I'd be shooting them an app exclusively in the hopes of being the one person who gets the Rothman. Not sure if my chances at it warrant spending $35.

cavalier1138 wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.


Wait, why is biglaw part of the attraction? You're bound to get into T13 schools with much better biglaw placement rates than USC.


I don't have numbers on it, but I'd still be fairly confident that Rothman scholars have a better biglaw placement rate than the T13s I'm likely to get into - possibly better than any T13, absent some similar scholarship at one of those schools, which I'm unlikely to receive considering my GPA.

That doesn't mean anything. Rothman scholars probably just do better overall during law school. Doesn't mean you will.

Hstrat

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby Hstrat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm

SolemnMan wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:I applied for it too, but I have no idea what the numbers or softs of a "typical" Rothman scholar looks like. It seems like a better outcome than a full at WUSTL if you want to practice in LA since you get that 1L SA at Skadden. Idk if it's better than $$$$ at a T14, however; and I'd be shocked you don't get some $$$$ with a 177


This is kind of why I'm wondering. With a full ride to WUSTL already in my pocket, the only reason I'd go to USC is for the Rothman. Considering the Skadden angle, I figure it could also be useful in negotiations with T13s, but anything short of it would probably be useless on that front. I'd be shooting them an app exclusively in the hopes of being the one person who gets the Rothman. Not sure if my chances at it warrant spending $35.

cavalier1138 wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.


Wait, why is biglaw part of the attraction? You're bound to get into T13 schools with much better biglaw placement rates than USC.


I don't have numbers on it, but I'd still be fairly confident that Rothman scholars have a better biglaw placement rate than the T13s I'm likely to get into - possibly better than any T13, absent some similar scholarship at one of those schools, which I'm unlikely to receive considering my GPA.

That doesn't mean anything. Rothman scholars probably just do better overall during law school. Doesn't mean you will.



The Rothman scholarship includes a guaranteed 1L summer fellowship at Skadden. That's the main value that it has over a full ride to WUSTL/small money at T13s.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby proteinshake » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Hstrat wrote:
SolemnMan wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:I applied for it too, but I have no idea what the numbers or softs of a "typical" Rothman scholar looks like. It seems like a better outcome than a full at WUSTL if you want to practice in LA since you get that 1L SA at Skadden. Idk if it's better than $$$$ at a T14, however; and I'd be shocked you don't get some $$$$ with a 177


This is kind of why I'm wondering. With a full ride to WUSTL already in my pocket, the only reason I'd go to USC is for the Rothman. Considering the Skadden angle, I figure it could also be useful in negotiations with T13s, but anything short of it would probably be useless on that front. I'd be shooting them an app exclusively in the hopes of being the one person who gets the Rothman. Not sure if my chances at it warrant spending $35.

cavalier1138 wrote:
Hstrat wrote:
proteinshake wrote:where do you want to practice and what do you want to do


BigLaw - that's part of the attraction. Location is less important - not a huge fan of LA, but my wife has better career opportunities in LA than in many other cities.


Wait, why is biglaw part of the attraction? You're bound to get into T13 schools with much better biglaw placement rates than USC.


I don't have numbers on it, but I'd still be fairly confident that Rothman scholars have a better biglaw placement rate than the T13s I'm likely to get into - possibly better than any T13, absent some similar scholarship at one of those schools, which I'm unlikely to receive considering my GPA.

That doesn't mean anything. Rothman scholars probably just do better overall during law school. Doesn't mean you will.



The Rothman scholarship includes a guaranteed 1L summer fellowship at Skadden. That's the main value that it has over a full ride to WUSTL/small money at T13s.

anyone know what percentage of those 1L summer fellowships turn into post-grad offers?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm

It's anecdotal still, but if you look at the recent Rothman scholars, they're all at Skadden or equally desirable jobs. Think OMM, Munger Tolles, and fed clerkships. Given how selective the program is, I sincerely doubt USC wouldn't do everything in their power to make sure Rothmans are well taken care of.

OP, we're talking about a literal needle in a haystack type of guess. They offer it to one person per year. If you really think you'd be well-suited in LA (with smaller chances of going beyond as NYC would still be possible as a Rothman it would seem), then you might as well throw your hat in the ring. If you'd take that over the full ride at WUSTL, and don't think you'll have other full ride options you'd want more, then a Rothman is a really great outcome. Not Ruby great, but still great.

ambrajdurbra131313

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: 3.5/177 - Rothman at USC?

Postby ambrajdurbra131313 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Yeah, USCs biglaw numbers don’t really apply for Rothman recipients. From what I’m given to understand from those people, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be offered a 2L position at Skadden and then offered. Several people split that 2L summer with another firm. Don’t know the exact stats for those that usually win but congrats on the LSAT!



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests