3.6 GPA / 165 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Johnn22

New

3.6 GPA / 165 LSAT

Post by Johnn22 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:56 pm

I am an MBA graduate with a 3.6 UG GPA and 165 LSAT from a midwest state school.

Non URM, but diverse background.

I did not intensively study LSAT as much as I should have (much at all), and can probably boost score. Should I?

Despite GPA, have semistrong softs (also, took many UG credits every semester instead of coasting / padding it)

What are my chances at T14? Should I study more to boost my LSAT and sit in February, even if there is a time cost to that?

Columbia and Georgetown are my primaries

Thanks for feedback

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: 3.6 GPA / 165 LSAT

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Study for February / June and apply next cycle. You are unlikely to get either of those schools with those numbers.

165 will hardly get you into the T20. A 169 gets you the bottom half of T14. Just a few points is huge.

ddevich

New

Post by ddevich » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

We have similar stats and it is highly unlikely given the data that is available that either of us would be accepted to a T14 school. If we were, we would almost certainly receive no scholarship. I threw a few out to the T14 as I am a combat veteran (still active duty) and I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon for essentially free school almost anywhere. If I land one of them, sweet; if not, a slightly lower ranked school will do the job as I'll have nearly zero debt. Unfortunately, you probably don't have that luxury.

Most everyone here will tell you to retake as soon as you are scoring 175+ consistently on practice tests so that you have a good chance at a 170+ come game day. I was consistently scoring around 170-172 on my practice tests leading up to the test and I ended up with a 165 (damn you judges!) I felt very confident going in, but test day can really throw you off and hit you with some curveballs.

If you are debt-averse and not hunting a big law job, then you can apply with those numbers and get decent scholarships at regional schools like Fordham or ASU or wherever you want to practice. If you absolutely need Columbia or Georgetown, you should retake and score 170+ and apply next cycle to have a decent chance.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Of course you should study and retake. You aren't going to have any t13 acceptances nor t20.

Johnn22

New

Post by Johnn22 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am

ddevich wrote:We have similar stats and it is highly unlikely given the data that is available that either of us would be accepted to a T14 school. If we were, we would almost certainly receive no scholarship. I threw a few out to the T14 as I am a combat veteran (still active duty) and I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon for essentially free school almost anywhere. If I land one of them, sweet; if not, a slightly lower ranked school will do the job as I'll have nearly zero debt. Unfortunately, you probably don't have that luxury.

Most everyone here will tell you to retake as soon as you are scoring 175+ consistently on practice tests so that you have a good chance at a 170+ come game day. I was consistently scoring around 170-172 on my practice tests leading up to the test and I ended up with a 165 (damn you judges!) I felt very confident going in, but test day can really throw you off and hit you with some curveballs.

If you are debt-averse and not hunting a big law job, then you can apply with those numbers and get decent scholarships at regional schools like Fordham or ASU or wherever you want to practice. If you absolutely need Columbia or Georgetown, you should retake and score 170+ and apply next cycle to have a decent chance.
Thanks for your and the others' feedback. Just got some study materials I thought fit me. I will study my best for next cycle. God bless.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:31 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Of course you should study and retake. You aren't going to have any t13 acceptances nor t20.
Slight exaggeration. OP will probably get USC and Notre Dame. But yeah, a retake is in order for anything above those and for more affordable options

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”