Help. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Help.

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 am

All,

I was not too sure as exactly where to post this so forgive me if not in the appropriate section. I’ve posted on here before seeking advice but bring about another question.. I’ll be finishing undergrad in May with minimal debt (less than 18k). Due to severely messing up in CC my first two years, my LSAC GPA does not compare whatsoever to my degree GPA ( Above 3.8 ) I’m not sure if I calculated it correctly but appears to be under 3.0. With that being said, I know T14 is out of the equation even with a high LSAT because I am not willing to pay sticker as I’m extremely debt-averse. It seems like the best option may be a WUSL with hopes that a high LSAT will get me a significant amount of $$$. I’m from the EastCoast but have no preference in where I work. I would actually like to get away. Soooo, my question is whether or not it is worth it to try? Or should I pass on law school and accept a job offer that pays very well for someone that will be fresh out of undergrad? I would appreciate your insight!

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Help.

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:04 am

If you're considering passing on law school for another job, then you should not go right now. Law school isn't going anywhere, and you'll be better equipped for it (and life) if you don't go straight through.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 am

Hey!

I appreciate the quick reply. I will graduating from undegrad at the age of 24.. Hence, the two bad years of CC delayed everything. If I were to pursue law school, I'd be entering at the age of 25 in the Fall of 2019. Thats one of my concerns as well as I wouldn't want to delay it any longer.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 pm

ToLawSchoolOrNot wrote:Hey!

I appreciate the quick reply. I will graduating from undegrad at the age of 24.. Hence, the two bad years of CC delayed everything. If I were to pursue law school, I'd be entering at the age of 25 in the Fall of 2019. Thats one of my concerns as well as I wouldn't want to delay it any longer.
Hi, I'm also probably going to graduate college at 24, so I've felt the same way at times.

25 isn't old by any stretch to start law school. In fact, it's downright average. You can maybe start sweating about this in your early 30's but there's really no rush. On the other hand, working for a bit before law school will enhance your life in a number of important ways.

Take the job offer.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:00 pm

ToLawSchoolOrNot wrote:Hey!

1. You're young.

2. You specifically said in the OP that you can't decide between law school or this totally sweet job. You should only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer. Since you clearly feel like you might want to do something else, do something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Take the job, pay down what little debt you have, and spend your spare time researching the legal field to get a better feel of whether it's right for you.

Researching the legal field = talking to lawyers from a variety of practices and employers, researching employment outcomes for folks right out of law school, particularly from law schools you would consider attending, and getting a feel for what you like and dislike in your own professional work environment and comparing notes with attorneys about how well those align with the daily life of a lawyer. I'm sure there are other things, but doing all of those would put you in a very good position to decide whether law school is right for you, as opposed to where you are now, where you aren't even sure you'd pick it over this other job (or any job).
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 am

ToLawSchoolOrNot wrote:All,

I was not too sure as exactly where to post this so forgive me if not in the appropriate section. I’ve posted on here before seeking advice but bring about another question.. I’ll be finishing undergrad in May with minimal debt (less than 18k). Due to severely messing up in CC my first two years, my LSAC GPA does not compare whatsoever to my degree GPA ( Above 3.8 ) I’m not sure if I calculated it correctly but appears to be under 3.0. With that being said, I know T14 is out of the equation even with a high LSAT because I am not willing to pay sticker as I’m extremely debt-averse. It seems like the best option may be a WUSL with hopes that a high LSAT will get me a significant amount of $$$. I’m from the EastCoast but have no preference in where I work. I would actually like to get away. Soooo, my question is whether or not it is worth it to try? Or should I pass on law school and accept a job offer that pays very well for someone that will be fresh out of undergrad? I would appreciate your insight!

Thanks!
Take the job. Law school isn’t going anywhere, and it doesn’t sound like you’re 100% committed anyway. Work 2-3 years and then reassess. Even if you start law school in your late 20’s, there will be plenty of people your age coming in with you.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Take the job.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 pm

All,

Thank you for taking the time give some advice. I've read all of the comments and have put them to thought. Again - thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”