4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
zhyunjc
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 am

4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 am

Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!

User avatar
FriedChickenHero
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby FriedChickenHero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 am

zhyunjc wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!


wow

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 am

Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

There's obviously not a lot of data points out there for people with your stats. But I'd imagine you'd have as good of a chance as anyone.

Sure, you don't have any super prestigious softs; however, I think your numbers will more than make up for that.

I'd think someone with those stats and a strong personal statement could sweep HYS and get tons of money for other T6 schools!

cavalier1138
Posts: 4616
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

If you're lucky, you might get Iowa.

If you're lucky.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 am

zhyunjc wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!


Wew.

rideagain
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby rideagain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am

obvious troll is obvious

User avatar
zhyunjc
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

There's obviously not a lot of data points out there for people with your stats. But I'd imagine you'd have as good of a chance as anyone.

Sure, you don't have any super prestigious softs; however, I think your numbers will more than make up for that.

I'd think someone with those stats and a strong personal statement could sweep HYS and get tons of money for other T6 schools!

Thank you for your insight - I think I was just worried about the actual merit of my numbers; particularly my previous LSAT scores being very low for these schools. I've heard that the highest tends to be of most importance to them, but with two in roughly the same lower range, I'm nervous that one might think they are a little more reflective of my abilities.

rideagain wrote:obvious troll is obvious

I was asking this in complete seriousness and I'm sorry if I gave off a different impression! I'm not quite as familiar with the application process as I'd like to be, and on top of that I think I do tend to worry a bit.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

zhyunjc wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

There's obviously not a lot of data points out there for people with your stats. But I'd imagine you'd have as good of a chance as anyone.

Sure, you don't have any super prestigious softs; however, I think your numbers will more than make up for that.

I'd think someone with those stats and a strong personal statement could sweep HYS and get tons of money for other T6 schools!

Thank you for your insight - I think I was just worried about the actual merit of my numbers; particularly my previous LSAT scores being very low for these schools. I've heard that the highest tends to be of most importance to them, but with two in roughly the same lower range, I'm nervous that one might think they are a little more reflective of my abilities.

rideagain wrote:obvious troll is obvious

I was asking this in complete seriousness and I'm sorry if I gave off a different impression! I'm not quite as familiar with the application process as I'd like to be, and on top of that I think I do tend to worry a bit.


I'm not sure how Y will see the multiple takes but I'd sure like to think your literally above perfect GPA and perfect LSAT will be proof of your ability. No one scores a 180 by sheer luck and they know this. You'll get H almost guaranteed and likely one or both of YS. Just make sure other parts of your app are up to snuff (ps, ds, resume, etc.)

Enjoy your dream school, dude!

acr
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby acr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:59 pm

You will fit in perfectly in law school.

SomewhatLearnedHand
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 pm

acr wrote:You will fit in perfectly in law school.


This. Also, it will be very important to distinguish if your 180 was a perfect raw score or if you got 1 question wrong. If the latter, you're screwed for YSH. No chance they let a loser like that in.

damask_rain
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby damask_rain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm

zhyunjc wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!



This post made my morning. I have been having a bad day so thank you, stranger.

If I were you I'd curl up under a warm blanket and sleep like a king tonight. :)

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7690
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

Y and S are sort of unpredictable but you have a chance, and you're most likely in at H.

Most likely a shit ton of money at the rest of the top schools though, just hope you don't get YP'd

Image

IPProf
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby IPProf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Mikey wrote:Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

Y and S are sort of unpredictable but you have a chance, and you're most likely in at H.

Most likely a shit ton of money at the rest of the top schools though, just hope you don't get YP'd

I would love to know how people with those stats got waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia. YP doesn't make a ton of sense, and you'd have to imagine a huge red flag to justify it otherwise.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7690
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

IPProf wrote:
Mikey wrote:Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

Y and S are sort of unpredictable but you have a chance, and you're most likely in at H.

Most likely a shit ton of money at the rest of the top schools though, just hope you don't get YP'd

I would love to know how people with those stats got waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia. YP doesn't make a ton of sense, and you'd have to imagine a huge red flag to justify it otherwise.

There could be different reasons why they do it. One that I'm familiar with that others have mentioned on here is that they think the applicant will just get into a better school and not attend theirs. Idk, YP can be tricky.

throwaway1919
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby throwaway1919 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Did you submit this query to the "Thinking LSAT" podcast? I feel like I've heard this somewhere before...

Anyway, you're fine. You're 100 percent fine. Unless you put something terribly offensive in your PS or have bad recommendations, you have as good a chance as anyone at HYS. Please don't vocalize this concern to anyone IRL b/c they will likely think you're insane.

User avatar
zhyunjc
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:24 pm

throwaway1919 wrote:Did you submit this query to the "Thinking LSAT" podcast? I feel like I've heard this somewhere before...

Anyway, you're fine. You're 100 percent fine. Unless you put something terribly offensive in your PS or have bad recommendations, you have as good a chance as anyone at HYS. Please don't vocalize this concern to anyone IRL b/c they will likely think you're insane.

No, I haven't, I like to be discreet insofar as I'm able :oops:
Thank you for your insight, I've just been worried about the jumping scores. I knew they saw all scores, but just learned that they might actually take them into consideration, etc. so I was a bit thrown. I am sorry, if I am coming off as insincere.

throwaway1919
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby throwaway1919 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Don't worry! Not coming off as insincere. We are all neurotic here.

I think a 180 is such a rare unicorn that adcomms won't care too much. So I wouldn't worry- just apply!

User avatar
doggozeg
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby doggozeg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm

A 4.00/180 worried? You're a unicorn. Your undergrad will not hurt you much, if at all. Just try to pass the time calmly.

I believe you're just making this post to have people tell you what you want to hear (and already know).

You have high chances of getting into at least one of the top three.

User avatar
Giro423
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Giro423 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If you're lucky, you might get Iowa.

If you're lucky.


Based

User avatar
zhyunjc
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby zhyunjc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 am

doggozeg wrote:A 4.00/180 worried? You're a unicorn. Your undergrad will not hurt you much, if at all. Just try to pass the time calmly.

I believe you're just making this post to have people tell you what you want to hear (and already know).

You have high chances of getting into at least one of the top three.


Thanks for the insight - and truthfully, I was pretty concerned; throughout my entire preparation/application process I was told that the schools only really 'care about' the highest score. I read (somewhere here, actually!) that this isn't actually necessarily the case, and visited HYS's websites to confirm. It was very much unexpected for me, and I was very nervous upon hearing that they might view my higher LSAT score with skepticism, in light of my previous lower ones; I certainly wouldn't fault them for that.
If my previous scores/undergraduate institution were to impact my application negatively, I would rather know, if only to be more cautious in any optimism, etc. Thanks again for the input!

User avatar
Bearlyalive
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Postby Bearlyalive » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 am

zhyunjc wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!




I had almost identical numbers (LSN link in my profile), also retook the LSAT with a big point jump, and also went to a UC (after going to a CC first), and had worse softs than you. Had a generic PS (still cringe a bit when I think about it) and probably marginal LoRs. Got into H no problem, WL at Y and S. Ended up taking the Hamilton at CLS.

Assuming this isn't a troll to get me to out myself (seriously, scarily similar situations) and poke fun at the WLs, I'm happy to chat more in PMs.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kippercd and 2 guests