4.04/180, HYS (some context) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zhyunjc

New

4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Post by zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 am

Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!

FriedChickenHero

New

Re: 4.04/180, HYS (some context)

Post by FriedChickenHero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 am

zhyunjc wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances might be for HYS, given some extra information to put my numbers into context.
My highest LSAT score is a 180, and my LSDAS GPA is 4.04. However, my undergraduate institution is not exactly impressive, and I worry that it really takes away any meaning the GPA may have had (I studied economics at UCSD). Moreover, I did take the LSAT a total of 3 times; and my two previous scores were substantially lower than the final 180 (170, 165). I have read that HYS do look at all three scores, and consider them accordingly.
In terms of softs, I don't think I have anything too special: I worked as a teaching assistant/research assistant throughout my college years, research assistant in a Hong Kong university, wrote for an online journal at my university, and have been working as a data analyst since graduating, earlier this year. It's really not anything too remarkable, I don't think.
I would appreciate any input considering the actual value of my score/GPA, the significance of which I fear is compromised by the above context..

Thank you!
wow

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 am

Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

There's obviously not a lot of data points out there for people with your stats. But I'd imagine you'd have as good of a chance as anyone.

Sure, you don't have any super prestigious softs; however, I think your numbers will more than make up for that.

I'd think someone with those stats and a strong personal statement could sweep HYS and get tons of money for other T6 schools!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

If you're lucky, you might get Iowa.

If you're lucky.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 am

Thank you!
Wew.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am

obvious troll is obvious

zhyunjc

New

Post by zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

There's obviously not a lot of data points out there for people with your stats. But I'd imagine you'd have as good of a chance as anyone.

Sure, you don't have any super prestigious softs; however, I think your numbers will more than make up for that.

I'd think someone with those stats and a strong personal statement could sweep HYS and get tons of money for other T6 schools!
Thank you for your insight - I think I was just worried about the actual merit of my numbers; particularly my previous LSAT scores being very low for these schools. I've heard that the highest tends to be of most importance to them, but with two in roughly the same lower range, I'm nervous that one might think they are a little more reflective of my abilities.
rideagain wrote:obvious troll is obvious
I was asking this in complete seriousness and I'm sorry if I gave off a different impression! I'm not quite as familiar with the application process as I'd like to be, and on top of that I think I do tend to worry a bit.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

zhyunjc wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:Congrats on the amazing GPA/LSAT combo

Thank you for your insight - I think I was just worried about the actual merit of my numbers; particularly my previous LSAT scores being very low for these schools. I've heard that the highest tends to be of most importance to them, but with two in roughly the same lower range, I'm nervous that one might think they are a little more reflective of my abilities.
rideagain wrote:obvious troll is obvious
I was asking this in complete seriousness and I'm sorry if I gave off a different impression! I'm not quite as familiar with the application process as I'd like to be, and on top of that I think I do tend to worry a bit.
I'm not sure how Y will see the multiple takes but I'd sure like to think your literally above perfect GPA and perfect LSAT will be proof of your ability. No one scores a 180 by sheer luck and they know this. You'll get H almost guaranteed and likely one or both of YS. Just make sure other parts of your app are up to snuff (ps, ds, resume, etc.)

Enjoy your dream school, dude!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:59 pm

You will fit in perfectly in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 pm

acr wrote:You will fit in perfectly in law school.
This. Also, it will be very important to distinguish if your 180 was a perfect raw score or if you got 1 question wrong. If the latter, you're screwed for YSH. No chance they let a loser like that in.

damask_rain

New

Post by damask_rain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you!

This post made my morning. I have been having a bad day so thank you, stranger.

If I were you I'd curl up under a warm blanket and sleep like a king tonight. :)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

Y and S are sort of unpredictable but you have a chance, and you're most likely in at H.

Most likely a shit ton of money at the rest of the top schools though, just hope you don't get YP'd

IPProf

New

Post by IPProf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Mikey wrote:Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

Y and S are sort of unpredictable but you have a chance, and you're most likely in at H.

Most likely a shit ton of money at the rest of the top schools though, just hope you don't get YP'd
I would love to know how people with those stats got waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia. YP doesn't make a ton of sense, and you'd have to imagine a huge red flag to justify it otherwise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

IPProf wrote:
Mikey wrote:Assuming this is real, you will be fine because your stats are gold.

I would love to know how people with those stats got waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia. YP doesn't make a ton of sense, and you'd have to imagine a huge red flag to justify it otherwise.
There could be different reasons why they do it. One that I'm familiar with that others have mentioned on here is that they think the applicant will just get into a better school and not attend theirs. Idk, YP can be tricky.

throwaway1919

New

Post by throwaway1919 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Did you submit this query to the "Thinking LSAT" podcast? I feel like I've heard this somewhere before...

Anyway, you're fine. You're 100 percent fine. Unless you put something terribly offensive in your PS or have bad recommendations, you have as good a chance as anyone at HYS. Please don't vocalize this concern to anyone IRL b/c they will likely think you're insane.

zhyunjc

New

Post by zhyunjc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:24 pm

throwaway1919 wrote:Did you submit this query to the "Thinking LSAT" podcast? I feel like I've heard this somewhere before...

Anyway, you're fine. You're 100 percent fine. Unless you put something terribly offensive in your PS or have bad recommendations, you have as good a chance as anyone at HYS. Please don't vocalize this concern to anyone IRL b/c they will likely think you're insane.
No, I haven't, I like to be discreet insofar as I'm able :oops:
Thank you for your insight, I've just been worried about the jumping scores. I knew they saw all scores, but just learned that they might actually take them into consideration, etc. so I was a bit thrown. I am sorry, if I am coming off as insincere.

throwaway1919

New

Post by throwaway1919 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Don't worry! Not coming off as insincere. We are all neurotic here.

I think a 180 is such a rare unicorn that adcomms won't care too much. So I wouldn't worry- just apply!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm

A 4.00/180 worried? You're a unicorn. Your undergrad will not hurt you much, if at all. Just try to pass the time calmly.

I believe you're just making this post to have people tell you what you want to hear (and already know).

You have high chances of getting into at least one of the top three.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If you're lucky, you might get Iowa.

If you're lucky.
Based

zhyunjc

New

Post by zhyunjc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 am

doggozeg wrote:A 4.00/180 worried? You're a unicorn. Your undergrad will not hurt you much, if at all. Just try to pass the time calmly.

I believe you're just making this post to have people tell you what you want to hear (and already know).

You have high chances of getting into at least one of the top three.
Thanks for the insight - and truthfully, I was pretty concerned; throughout my entire preparation/application process I was told that the schools only really 'care about' the highest score. I read (somewhere here, actually!) that this isn't actually necessarily the case, and visited HYS's websites to confirm. It was very much unexpected for me, and I was very nervous upon hearing that they might view my higher LSAT score with skepticism, in light of my previous lower ones; I certainly wouldn't fault them for that.
If my previous scores/undergraduate institution were to impact my application negatively, I would rather know, if only to be more cautious in any optimism, etc. Thanks again for the input!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 am

Thank you!

I had almost identical numbers (LSN link in my profile), also retook the LSAT with a big point jump, and also went to a UC (after going to a CC first), and had worse softs than you. Had a generic PS (still cringe a bit when I think about it) and probably marginal LoRs. Got into H no problem, WL at Y and S. Ended up taking the Hamilton at CLS.

Assuming this isn't a troll to get me to out myself (seriously, scarily similar situations) and poke fun at the WLs, I'm happy to chat more in PMs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”