3.5/177, UVA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hstrat

Bronze

3.5/177, UVA

Post by Hstrat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:39 pm

People who submitted after me are getting in, which has me wondering. MyLSN has a 50% acceptance rate in the last 5 cycles for people with my numbers. All of the ones who didn't get in were waitlisted (no outright rejections), and based on a couple cases it appears that yield protection might be the reason for the waitlisting. That's hard to prove though, and has me worrying.

Anybody care to speculate on how UVA will think about my application?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 3.5/177, UVA

Post by UVA2B » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm

You've provided zero details outside of your numbers, so how could someone reasonably speculate which side of that coin you'll fall on? Did you write a Why UVA that you think is compelling? Are you k-jd or have some work experience?

You might get in, you might not. There's your speculation unless you want to provide more info about why you think you may or may not be competitive at UVA.

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm

UVA2B wrote:You've provided zero details outside of your numbers, so how could someone reasonably speculate which side of that coin you'll fall on? Did you write a Why UVA that you think is compelling? Are you k-jd or have some work experience?

You might get in, you might not. There's your speculation unless you want to provide more info about why you think you may or may not be competitive at UVA.
I did write a Why UVA, and I have two years WE. I guess my question is a little more general: is someone with my numbers likely to get in if willing to write a LOCI?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Hstrat wrote:I guess my question is a little more general: is someone with my numbers likely to get in if willing to write a LOCI?
You're a marginal applicant, probably about a coin flip to get admitted. "Willing to write a LOCI" is probably necessary but not sufficient to get admitted off the waitlist. MyLSN suggests that a solid majority of people with numbers like yours who get waitlisted never get off the list, but you haven't even been waitlisted yet, so chillax.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm

icechicken wrote:
Hstrat wrote:I guess my question is a little more general: is someone with my numbers likely to get in if willing to write a LOCI?
You're a marginal applicant, probably about a coin flip to get admitted. "Willing to write a LOCI" is probably necessary but not sufficient to get admitted off the waitlist. MyLSN suggests that a solid majority of people with numbers like yours who get waitlisted never get off the list, but you haven't even been waitlisted yet, so chillax.
Also, no mention if you're in-state or out of state.

While both admitted pools have similar numbers, it's obviously much easier if you're in-state because its applicant pool is so much smaller. Borderline candidates outside Virginia have a significantly smaller chance of admission.

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm

For people who might find this thread down the road: turns out I wasn't marginal or a coin flip. I was admitted with a $135k scholarship. I'd have to think most of those WLs in LSN were YP'd, possibly for not writing a Why UVA, and didn't write a LOCI/never updated LSN with their acceptance.

Also I was an out of state applicant, for the record.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”