160 / 3.7 w/good softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
em1309

160 / 3.7 w/good softs

Postby em1309 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 pm

K-JD, URM. Super soft is founding a tech startup that went on to raise some $$$. Interned at legal NGO. Thinking of applying ED to Northwestern, RD to Georgetown, Iowa, ND, Emory, Texas, WUSL, and Vandy, will probably send out some more applications to T50s as well.

cavalier1138

Re: 160 / 3.7 w/good softs

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

Sorry to break it to you, but that isn't a "super soft." It's not bad, but it's also not going to move the needle much.

But what do you want to do with your JD, and where do you want to do it? Your school list is all over the place.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 am

Agreed with above, these aren't even good softs. They won't help you one bit.

Don't waste your time or money with NW or GT, you aren't getting into either. Same with ND, WUSTL, Vandy, and Texas. You just aren't getting in.

You need to retake.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 am

I think these are "good" softs, but I think it's rare that softs can overcome below median / mid-50-percentile numbers--and I imagine your LSAT will hold you back. I don't think your list is impossible with your numbers, but I do think they're reaches.

I agree with folks saying retake. I hated getting retake advice, but I had similar numbers to you when I applied to law schools. I got into T20s, but no T14s. With your GPA, if you can pull up even to a 165, I think you have a good shot at lower T14 and mayyyybe even a long shot at T6. If you can break to the high 160s or low 170s, you open up that range with some good money and maybe even a chance at H.

Don't be in too much of a rush! Think about your goals and objectives. I agree with others that your list doesn't make a lot of sense except that it's coating the T20s and lower T14s. T20 schools are obviously great and have a degree of national reach, but if your goal is to go to a great school with national recognition, you should shoot higher.

Especially since you're K-JD, there really is no rush to go to law school and waiting it out with better numbers and more work experience could be the difference between attending a regional school with money and a T14/T6 school with money. Being straight through won't help your applications and could even hurt you.

Return to “What are my chances?”