I am 36, MBA (Finance), working in investment banking Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jhunruchir

New

I am 36, MBA (Finance), working in investment banking

Post by jhunruchir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 am

Hi - I am a Chartered Accountant and MBA (Finance) from an Indian school and working in SIngapore in investment banking... Age is now 36..

My dream school is Columbia Law and now when I have some money to spend on my education, I am not sure if i am over aged already..

I checked out Columbia admits and over 29 years of age, is only 2% of the class size - so thats approx 24 people in class of 2017.

I am ofcourse am mindful that i have to get over 160 in lsats to stand any chance... is experience of any importance in law school admissions?

Any help, blunt answers will really help me in deciding further.. also, if i start now, can i make it one month? my gmat scores were 650-680 ranges..

thx a ton..

cavalier1138

Re: I am 36, MBA (Finance), working in investment banking

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 am

1. Why law school?

2. You need a 170+ to get Columbia (especially as an international student), not a 160+.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 am

jhunruchir wrote:Hi - I am a Chartered Accountant and MBA (Finance) from an Indian school and working in SIngapore in investment banking... Age is now 36..

My dream school is Columbia Law and now when I have some money to spend on my education, I am not sure if i am over aged already..

I checked out Columbia admits and over 29 years of age, is only 2% of the class size - so thats approx 24 people in class of 2017.

I am ofcourse am mindful that i have to get over 160 in lsats to stand any chance... is experience of any importance in law school admissions?

Any help, blunt answers will really help me in deciding further.. also, if i start now, can i make it one month? my gmat scores were 650-680 ranges..

thx a ton..
Tbh even if law school were a good idea for you (which is doubtful), your English skills make me very worried. Regardless of your intelligence, going to a top law school with a very weak grasp on English is almost certainly going to lead you to a significantly below median performance. Unless money is not an issue for you and you want to go to law school for the thrill of it, law school is probably a bad idea for you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am

Eh, I don't think the OP’s English skills are very weak. Noticeably second language, maybe, but not very weak.

PhilNoir

New

Post by PhilNoir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Eh, I don't think the OP’s English skills are very weak. Noticeably second language, maybe, but not very weak.
I second that.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:02 am

As a previous poster has said, why do you want to go to law school now is the right question.

Do you really want to spend three years not earning money while being surrounded by mostly 22-26 year olds with all the posturing and baggage that comes with people at those ages? Do you want to follow those years up by starting at the very bottom of a new career hierarchy where the people managing you may not have anywhere near the level of business experience or managerial skills that you have?

If yes, devote some time to getting the highest LSAT score that you can and come up with a really compelling essay and letters of recommendation for why law school is the right move for you now.

Those things shouldn't stop you from pursuing a law degree if what you really want is to be a lawyer. But if all you really want is something different than the career you have now, consider the potential drawbacks of investing three years of time and money just to be qualified to start at a new career that you might like even less.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”