3.5 GPA, scoring between 176-180 on LSAT PrepTests, taking the Dec LSAT.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mdtojd1

3.5 GPA, scoring between 176-180 on LSAT PrepTests, taking the Dec LSAT.

Postby mdtojd1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 pm

So I have a 3.5 GPA and I'm taking the December LSAT. Been scoring consistently between 176-180 on lsat practice tests 61-70. Let's say I get a 178 on the LSAT (I know its different on the real one vs the practices, but lets just go with this), what are my chances at Penn with early decision round 2?

I have work experience as a real estate agent.
I graduated with a 3.5 (LSAC GPA) with a degree in Cell/Molecular/Developmental Biology.

My family wanted me to go into medicine, so I went that direction. However, I always wanted to do law and finally got fed up and told my parents I didn't want to be a doctor.

I have good medical schools softs - working in mental health institutions, 100s of hours of scribing. I don't know how this could help me for law school specifically though.

I also have thousands of volunteer hours at non-medical places, including a community church where I've held multiple leadership positions.

I also have 3 LORs from professors who know me really well.

What do y'all think?

Chaimthegreat

Re: 3.5 GPA, scoring between 176-180 on LSAT PrepTests, taking the Dec LSAT.

Postby Chaimthegreat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:25 pm

mdtojd1 wrote:So I have a 3.5 GPA and I'm taking the December LSAT. Been scoring consistently between 176-180 on lsat practice tests 61-70. Let's say I get a 178 on the LSAT (I know its different on the real one vs the practices, but lets just go with this), what are my chances at Penn with early decision round 2?

I graduated with a 3.5 (LSAC GPA) with a degree in Cell/Molecular/Developmental Biology.

My family wanted me to go into medicine, so I went that direction. However, I always wanted to do law and finally got fed up and told my parents I didn't want to be a doctor.

I have good medical schools softs - working in mental health institutions, 100s of hours of scribing. I don't know how this could help me for law school specifically though.

I also have thousands of volunteer hours at non-medical places, including a community church where I've held multiple leadership positions.

What do y'all think?

You are going to have fifty people tell you not to ED. You lose your ability to negotiate $$ and aid. They will tell you to blanket the T-13/T-14 and review your options then. Good luck on your lsat!

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:36 am

Don't ED. Get an LSAT, then come back and get specific advice.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Is TLS especially ED crazy this cycle? Absolutely do not ED Penn.

Also, come back after you take the test. You should apply broadly if you get 170+

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Rigo wrote:Is TLS especially ED crazy this cycle?

Wondering the same. What is with the infatuation with it?

Hstrat

Postby Hstrat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 pm

mdtojd1 wrote:So I have a 3.5 GPA and I'm taking the December LSAT. Been scoring consistently between 176-180 on lsat practice tests 61-70. Let's say I get a 178 on the LSAT (I know its different on the real one vs the practices, but lets just go with this), what are my chances at Penn with early decision round 2?

What do y'all think?

I'm a 3.5/177, and actually a former real estate agent as well. I've got an account on LSN that might be helpful to you - same username.

Personally, I would not recommend EDing to Penn, but if you did (and you get that 177+) you'd almost certainly get in. Based on my research, the only schools I'm unlikely to get into are Yale (0% Chance, IMHO), Stanford (same), Harvard (33%) and UChicago (50%). Every other school is almost certain to accept me unless they find a red flag in my app or decide to Yield Protect. If Penn's your top choice, apply to Columbia and use your admission to that school to get a better scholarship out of Penn.

Also, those softs are not going to let you outperform your numbers. They're pretty typical for a T14 law school applicant. The WE is better, but still probably not going to make a big impact.

Return to “What are my chances?”