3.78, 180 / 170, how deep to apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cheeseras

3.78, 180 / 170, how deep to apply?

Postby cheeseras » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi people,

I got a (very happy, totally shocking) surprise on my LSAT retake and am not sure how deeply to apply; with this profile is it safe to just do HYSCC or should I stick to the original plan of applying to more like t-10? And how stressed should I be about PS quality?

LSAT #1: 170
LSAT #2: 180
GPA: 3.78 at HYPS undergrad
3 years WE in unusual, interesting field
LSAC fee waiver
Not URM, male

Probably slightly above average softs (but aren't everybody's?), solid but not stellar LORs.

UVA2B

Re: 3.78, 180 / 170, how deep to apply?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Apply to the T13. Get every option on the table possible. You're going to have really strong options.

As to the PS, put in a good faith effort to show something interesting about you as an applicant, but as long as it's minimally interesting and suggests something positive about you, you'll be good.*

*Edit: In thinking more about it, you should find the effort on the PS, because it could be the difference between the Rubenstein, Darrow, etc. or not having that magical Yale or Stanford chip in your corner. It's not that hard to put together a compelling PS, but it's worth your time.

Chaimthegreat

Postby Chaimthegreat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 pm

cheeseras wrote:Hi people,

I got a (very happy, totally shocking) surprise on my LSAT retake and am not sure how deeply to apply; with this profile is it safe to just do HYSCC or should I stick to the original plan of applying to more like t-10? And how stressed should I be about PS quality?

LSAT #1: 170
LSAT #2: 180
GPA: 3.78 at HYPS undergrad
3 years WE in unusual, interesting field
LSAC fee waiver
Not URM, male

My understanding is it's never a bad thing to have increased negotiating power when it comes to money. Applying throughout the t-13 allows you to have leverage.

cheeseras wrote:Probably slightly above average softs (but aren't everybody's?), solid but not stellar LORs.
True lol.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 pm

I think it would be a mistake to limit yourself to just HYSCCN, because I suspect, as others have said, that you'll have many other opportunities with ample $$ at plenty of schools in the T-10. I don't know if it makes any sense to arbitrarily limit yourself to just the T-10, either. I would probably pick your top 10 schools, just to cut down on application costs, but don't think you absolutely need to apply to every t-13.

Give the PS your best shot: you don't want to write something average or below average which gives the impression that you just expect to coast on your great LSAT, especially since you are a retaker and your GPA is on the lower side for the T-6. Although, to be fair, the fact that the 180 is a retake isn't going to actually matter and the GPA is from HYSP, so it's probably also going to get a favorable eye, but still. Put together the best application you can, just make sure to get them in reasonably early still. Don't wait until the end of December to get those apps out if you are just waiting on "perfecting" your PS.

cheeseras

Postby cheeseras » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks, this is all very helpful! Any thoughts on addenda on the score gap? I had a cold for round 1, but the bigger reality is that I just didn't prepare enough for it.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 am

cheeseras wrote:Thanks, this is all very helpful! Any thoughts on addenda on the score gap? I had a cold for round 1, but the bigger reality is that I just didn't prepare enough for it.

No addenda needed; people don't get lucky and score 180's. Also, and more seriously, you don't have a compelling reason to write one. You are probably okay without one.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am

cheeseras wrote:Thanks, this is all very helpful! Any thoughts on addenda on the score gap? I had a cold for round 1, but the bigger reality is that I just didn't prepare enough for it.

I had a bigger score gap than you and didn’t write an addendum because I didn’t have a good reason. I just studied better the second time. It did not affect me.

Return to “What are my chances?”