3.3gpa/161lsat Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tdc303

New

3.3gpa/161lsat

Post by tdc303 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 am

Hi!
I am wondering if anyone has ideas for my chances at a few schools with a 3.3gpa/161lsat.

Northeastern
BC
BU
Fordham
GW

My gpa is low because I was pre-med so I took organic chem and that really screwed me over, but I plan on explaining that as an addendum. I haven't found a ton of info online with my stats, but I'm sorry if this is redundant and pls direct me to previous posts if it is!! Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: 3.3gpa/161lsat

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am

Your GPA isn't the problem. Or at least it isn't the problem that you can address.

As it currently stands, you're out everywhere on your list except Northeastern, and you shouldn't go to Northeastern if you want to be a practicing attorney. What do you plan on doing with your JD? You should retake, but it's important to figure out if you're gunning for the T13 or just trying to get a good scholarship at a regional school.

tdc303

New

Post by tdc303 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Your GPA isn't the problem. Or at least it isn't the problem that you can address.

As it currently stands, you're out everywhere on your list except Northeastern, and you shouldn't go to Northeastern if you want to be a practicing attorney. What do you plan on doing with your JD? You should retake, but it's important to figure out if you're gunning for the T13 or just trying to get a good scholarship at a regional school.
I took the lsat in june and got a 161 then studied for september and got a 161 again, so I'm sort of concerned that i've reached my "peak" and that's as good as my score is going to get.
I also don't know what you mean by "you shouldn't go to northeastern if you want to be a practicing attorney..." sorry if that's a little out of the loop.
I guess I could try again in december but i'm nervous that if i've gotten the same score twice, I might not improve at all (again) or my score will just get worse.
Any ideas of other good schools that are within reach?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am

tdc303 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Your GPA isn't the problem. Or at least it isn't the problem that you can address.

I took the lsat in june and got a 161 then studied for september and got a 161 again, so I'm sort of concerned that i've reached my "peak" and that's as good as my score is going to get.
I also don't know what you mean by "you shouldn't go to northeastern if you want to be a practicing attorney..." sorry if that's a little out of the loop.
I guess I could try again in december but i'm nervous that if i've gotten the same score twice, I might not improve at all (again) or my score will just get worse.
Between 40 and 50% of Northeastern graduates do not have jobs as attorneys 9 months after graduation.

But again, what do you want to do with your degree?

tdc303

New

Post by tdc303 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
tdc303 wrote:

Between 40 and 50% of Northeastern graduates do not have jobs as attorneys 9 months after graduation.

But again, what do you want to do with your degree?
Well, I *think* I want to work as a DA or government... something not necessarily "big law." But I also know it's important to keep my options open because I'm sure I'll change my mind...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am

For local government (I assume you're targeting Boston/NYC), you will start to have much more realistic school options if you bump your score up a few points. You don't need to go to Harvard for those goals, but you also need to be aware that biglaw isn't as much of an option at the schools you want to target.

BC/BU would probably be ideal for your goals. Study up for the December LSAT (use the forums here for help) and get in to a school that gets you what you want at a decent price. That's totally doable, but not with your current numbers.

tdc303

New

Post by tdc303 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:For local government (I assume you're targeting Boston/NYC), you will start to have much more realistic school options if you bump your score up a few points. You don't need to go to Harvard for those goals, but you also need to be aware that biglaw isn't as much of an option at the schools you want to target.

BC/BU would probably be ideal for your goals. Study up for the December LSAT (use the forums here for help) and get in to a school that gets you what you want at a decent price. That's totally doable, but not with your current numbers.
Okay, thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”