3.57 GPA and WE for Northwestern ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nalls96

New

3.57 GPA and WE for Northwestern ED

Postby nalls96 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:21 am

I am a first generation student and know nothing about admissions to law school, let alone the big ones, and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on my chances of achieving a binding decision from Northwestern with a 3.57 GPA and the following work experience and volunteer work listed below.
(I have not taken the LSAT yet, because I plan to apply in about 4 years because I do not have any money to attend school right now. In fact, the reason why I am applying ED is because of the significant scholarship NW provides for ED apps) The reason why I am asking so far in advance is because I wanted to see what my resume is lacking. Ultimately, I honestly do not know what it takes to get into North Western and would really like some sort of guidance.

Some other important information: I will be writing a GPA addendum about two family deaths during my first two years of college and the fact that I had to work full time in order to pay for school. Additionally, I will be writing a diversity statement regarding my first generation status and the fact that I have lived in a poor environment most of life, which included me living in a Recreational Vehicle in order to be able to pay for college.

Affordable Auto-Cad Solutions Co-Founder, 10-35 Hours Per Week
Co-founded a company which seeks to provide developers with affordable auto-cad assistance in order to provide for housing developments which are affordable to the average citizen.

Affordable Housing Civil Engineer Intern, 25 Hours Per Week
Collaborated with the planning commission department of the city government and the civil engineering department in order to assist them in creating a more efficient GIS (Geographical Information System) of the city. Participated in discussion regarding alleviating the issues of affordable housing initiatives within the jurisdiction.

Paralegal Intern, 30 Hours Per Week
Participated in events for the Fredericksburg Black Chamber of Commerce which promoted businesses of disadvantaged minority groups in addition to typical paralegal duties.

Accounts Payable Director
Managed a team of 20 vendors/contractual partners in order to provide profits and productivity for the company. After only five months I was promoted to full time Accounts Payable Director, making me the youngest in the region to hold that position. I surprised my supervisors when I developed a plan to reduce $18,000 of losses within my company that included collaboration with upper management. At the conclusion of my first year of employment, I was recognized for the plan I had implemented which resulted in reduced losses by $22,000 and a significant profit increase.

Teaching Assistant
Utilized my advanced honor courses in English and History to teach a group of 25 students.

Children’s Pro-Bono Paralegal
Member of a group which sole purpose is to advocate for impoverished, abused children in court.

Fundraising Coordinator, 3 months per year at 15 hours per week, Washington, D.C.
Coordinated fundraising initiative for the “Face of America” charity event for wounded soldiers and veterans which providing them with handicapped bicycles. My fundraising team was ultimately recognized by the organization for contributing over $10,000 dollars within one year.

I also am a Student Officer for a 575 member honor society as well and have been working with a professor on getting some affordable housing research published.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze

Re: 3.57 GPA and WE for Northwestern ED

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:29 am

Come back when you have an LSAT score in your hand. A 3.57 and 155 is not going to get into NU ED. A 3.57 and a 175 very well could. Your LSAT score matters a lot more than any of the soft factors you listed.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 am

Yeah, you need an LSAT to get any kind of realistic feedback on your actual chances, but an addendum and softs will not have much of an effect.

That said, I'm not quite sure about your reasoning on this. NU is a great school to ED to because of their scholarship, but you'd still end up taking out loans. So your not having any money to put towards school wouldn't make a difference on that front. And if you have the numbers to get ED at NU, then you likely have the numbers for a significant scholarship elsewhere in the T13. Your proposed timeline also confuses me. I'm a big proponent of spending some time off school, but it sounds like you're trying to save up enough money to not have to take out loans, which is a tall order, even with a large scholarship (because again, cost of living is always going to be there).

This isn't to dissuade you from applying ED if you know that you really want to be in Chicago, because your GPA will keep you from getting significant aid at UChicago, regardless of your LSAT. But if your only motivating factor is the potential scholarship, then applying ED may not make much sense.

All that said, come back when you have a score. Your specific jobs and club experiences are neat, but the main factor in admissions is LSAT/GPA.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 pm

There's no guarantee that the NU ED scholarship will still exist in four years. I haven't heard anything indicating it won't, but four years is a long time.

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 am

Your GPA is at the 25 percentile for U Chicago, and Northwestern. Your work experience, while impressive. Will not negate a below median LSAT score of 170. A applicant with a with no work experience,but above median LSAT will into U Chicago, and most likely Northwestern.. Your chances are lower for ED,because of the scholarship at Northwestern.. So I would start studying now. If you like hedging law school admission numbers,and analyzing them. Check out this site:
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://Chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/

nalls96

New

Postby nalls96 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:00 am

URMSenator52 wrote:Your GPA is at the 25 percentile for U Chicago, and Northwestern. Your work experience, while impressive. Will not negate a below median LSAT score of 170. A applicant with a with no work experience,but above median LSAT will into U Chicago, and most likely Northwestern.. Your chances are lower for ED,because of the scholarship at Northwestern.. So I would start studying now. If you like hedging law school admission numbers,and analyzing them. Check out this site:
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://Chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/

That's what I thought! I'm going to start studying once I graduate this summer from college. I would like to spend 6-12 months studying for it while working full time. Basically I want to study until I get 175-177s on my LSATs consistently.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Return to “What are my chances??