3.5/177 Where should I apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hstrat

Bronze

3.5/177 Where should I apply?

Post by Hstrat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 am

I'm hoping to spend under $700 on applications, but I'm open to spending more if I hear a persuasive reason why I should. With the fee waivers I'm getting, that means about 10 or 11 applications. Here's my current list:

Harvard
UChicago
Columbia
UPenn
UVA
NU
Berkeley
UT Austin
WUSTL
University of Washington (I'm a Seattle native and might want to settle down there)

Are any of these dumb/are there any schools I'm dumb for not including? Should I just be shelling out the money and blanketing the T14? Thanks for your help.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.5/177 Where should I apply?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 am

Yes, you should be blanketing the T13 (except YS, which would be pointless with your GPA). But there's absolutely no good reason, based on the scant information provided, that you should be leaving NYU, Duke, Cornell, and Michigan off your list. You're a splitter for most of the T13, which means you should apply early and apply broadly to maximize your chances at admission and scholarship.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 am

Hstrat wrote:I'm hoping to spend under $700 on applications, but I'm open to spending more if I hear a persuasive reason why I should. With the fee waivers I'm getting, that means about 10 or 11 applications. Here's my current list:

Harvard
UChicago
Columbia
UPenn
UVA
NU
Berkeley
UT Austin
WUSTL
University of Washington (I'm a Seattle native and might want to settle down there)

Are any of these dumb/are there any schools I'm dumb for not including? Should I just be shelling out the money and blanketing the T14? Thanks for your help.
Not applying to the rest of the T14 because you're trying to save money is penny-wise and pound foolish. It could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships, even if you don't attend any of the schools not currently on your list. You should ask for fee waivers everywhere to lower your application costs to just the LSAC fee.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:29 am

Hstrat wrote:Should I just be shelling out the money and blanketing the T14?
Yes. But I’d be shocked if you couldn’t get yourself fee waivers.

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Yes, you should be blanketing the T13 (except YS, which would be pointless with your GPA).
Wow. I'm shaking my head at how someone can so consistently be so confident in the dispensation of such foolish advice. Thankfully this forum has level-headed folks to correct for this sort of thing, as some of the other posters on this thread indicate. To the original poster, please be wary; always check in with admissions counselors and other professionals who will have a genuine grasp of school-specific policies such as fee waivers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Samarcan wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Yes, you should be blanketing the T13 (except YS, which would be pointless with your GPA).
Wow. I'm shaking my head in how someone can so consistently be so confident in the dispensation of such foolish advice. Thankfully this forum has level-headed folks to correct for this sort of thing. To the original poster, please be wary; always check in with admissions counselors and other professionals who will have a genuine grasp of school-specific policies such as fee waivers.
Evidence or fuck off.

I'd say it more politely, but this is your second post in the same number of days making this idiotic argument.

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Samarcan wrote:
Wow. I'm shaking my head in how someone can so consistently be so confident in the dispensation of such foolish advice. Thankfully this forum has level-headed folks to correct for this sort of thing. To the original poster, please be wary; always check in with admissions counselors and other professionals who will have a genuine grasp of school-specific policies such as fee waivers.
Evidence or fuck off.

I'd say it more politely, but this is your second post in the same number of days making this idiotic argument.
https://law.yale.edu/admissions/profile ... ss-profile

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... -questions

I don't usually bother responding to juvenile statements (or people), and I don't want to derail this thread, so I will let you have the last word if you like. Go ahead and strain the facts/statements in the links above in order to walk back your original declaration, or explain them away in order to preserve some semblance of legitimacy in it.

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Lets just say I got in YSH with lower stats then this. Apply. Who knows.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 pm

nativtracker wrote:Lets just say I got in YSH with lower stats then this. Apply. Who knows.
You wouldn't happen to be... shot in the dark here... Native American?

OP: you can always apply to HYS, but YS are known to put a lot more emphasis on GPA. The lowest GPA accepted by Yale was just barely below yours, so unless you have an unmentioned mitigating factor (URM, Pulitzer Prize-winner, etc.) going for you, it's a real reach. Apologies for the idiot H-transfer who seems to have a thing for disrupting any threads where people talk about the actual numbers needed for admission to these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Samarcan wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Samarcan wrote:
Evidence or fuck off.

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/profile ... ss-profile

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... -questions

I don't usually bother responding to juvenile statements (or people), and I don't want to derail this thread, so I will let you have the last word if you like. Go ahead and strain the facts/statements in the links above in order to walk back your original declaration, or explain them away in order to preserve some semblance of legitimacy in it.
OP here, and these numbers seem to definitively state that I have no chance. The lowest GPA in their entire class is only barely lower than mine, and I'm not URM (unless my prayers are answered and all Hispanics become URM), not especially accomplished, and I don't have a tragic backstory. Yale would be a waste of $110.

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Mullens wrote:
Hstrat wrote:I'm hoping to spend under $700 on applications, but I'm open to spending more if I hear a persuasive reason why I should. With the fee waivers I'm getting, that means about 10 or 11 applications. Here's my current list:

Harvard
UChicago
Columbia
UPenn
UVA
NU
Berkeley
UT Austin
WUSTL

Not applying to the rest of the T14 because you're trying to save money is penny-wise and pound foolish. It could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships, even if you don't attend any of the schools not currently on your list. You should ask for fee waivers everywhere to lower your application costs to just the LSAC fee.

Due to some outside factors (I'm married and my wife has better career opportunities in some places than others), I would probably sit out and reapply next year instead of enrolling at Duke or Cornell. Are either of those schools likely to give me useful scholarship leverage that would make applying without any interest in attending a good idea? I realize we're only talking about $70 here, but if I get nothing from the applications then that's $70 wasted.

I've decided to add UCLA and NYU to this list, still waffling on Michigan (I doubt there's a scenario where I'd actually attend) and Stanford (I doubt I have any chance).

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Hstrat wrote:I would probably sit out and reapply next year instead of enrolling at Duke or Cornell. Are either of those schools likely to give me useful scholarship leverage that would make applying without any interest in attending a good idea?
I had roughly similar numbers as you, and Duke and Cornell were two of the most generous (and earliest) scholarship offers that I received. I'm also a bit confused by the fee waiver situation here. I think I actually paid for about 2 of my ~15 applications.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
Hstrat wrote:I would probably sit out and reapply next year instead of enrolling at Duke or Cornell. Are either of those schools likely to give me useful scholarship leverage that would make applying without any interest in attending a good idea?
I had roughly similar numbers as you, and Duke and Cornell were two of the most generous (and earliest) scholarship offers that I received. I'm also a bit confused by the fee waiver situation here. I think I actually paid for about 2 of my ~15 applications.
Yes you should def apply for the potential scholarship negotiation leverage. You never know where your best offers will come from and Cornell has been generous in recent years. It's absolutely worth your $70 and the time it takes to write convincing Why X statements.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Michigan and Cornell gave me the most generous scholarship offers out of all the T14 schools I applied to (2/3 scholarship). I was initially deciding between Michigan, Cornell, and Duke - after I sent Michigan's offer to the other two schools, Duke matched their award and Cornell raised their award by $15k. You should apply there.

Also at your LSAT level, there isn't really a reason to sit out and reapply. Just applying again for no reason (like no increase in LSAT, GPA, etc.) doesn't really give you a second shot at anything, it just raises more questions about your application.

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Keilz wrote:Michigan and Cornell gave me the most generous scholarship offers out of all the T14 schools I applied to (2/3 scholarship). I was initially deciding between Michigan, Cornell, and Duke - after I sent Michigan's offer to the other two schools, Duke matched their award and Cornell raised their award by $15k. You should apply there.

Also at your LSAT level, there isn't really a reason to sit out and reapply. Just applying again for no reason (like no increase in LSAT, GPA, etc.) doesn't really give you a second shot at anything, it just raises more questions about your application.
Did you write why statements for those schools? What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:54 pm

rictheruler wrote:
Keilz wrote:Michigan and Cornell gave me the most generous scholarship offers out of all the T14 schools I applied to (2/3 scholarship). I was initially deciding between Michigan, Cornell, and Duke - after I sent Michigan's offer to the other two schools, Duke matched their award and Cornell raised their award by $15k. You should apply there.

Did you write why statements for those schools? What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?
I wrote a why Michigan based on one program that I liked in my area of interest. Cornell's application asks for a very short why Cornell in the LSAC application itself, so I wrote about how I want to be in NY and one of their specialized programs I'm interested in. My numbers were 169/3.73 - you can look at my lawschoolnumbers.com page.

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
Yeah I think I'm convinced now, thanks for your advice. Note about the fee waiver: It's 35 bucks on LSAC's end, so with fee waivers those two applications will cost me $70. That's miles better than the $220 it would cost without, but I wasn't initially convinced that I would see ROI in applying to schools I'm probably not going to attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”