Is this damage irreparable? Chances for t14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
realDaredevil

New

Is this damage irreparable? Chances for t14?

Post by realDaredevil » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi everyone, so a little about my background, I'm 19, in my sophomore year of college and am 100% set on law school (I want to go into The FBI apt DEA one day so law is not only my back up but also my qualification into these). I'm an Econ major but I'm heavily reconsidering. From what I've seen on this forum, it sometimes makes a difference, so I'll also say I'm half black and over 10% Native American, not sure if it'll make a difference but thought I'd add that.
Anyway, I'll admit I'm not the best student, even though I really want to be. I was a very good student in the beginning of Highschool, but like many laziness and other things got in the way. My family also was painfully poor for a bit (btw trust fund will be helping me with law school, long sorry) and I held a job to help out. Come freshman year of college I'm doing decently well. But then I just messed up and this time it was on me, purely me being at a school I didn't like, and also because I was going through a rough time with my family (emotionally). Later on in the second semester though I once again had my family go through a rough time, but this time I wasn't there to help out so that made me feel crappy. So get this, I take 10 credits the first semester w/ one withdraw. Second semester I take 12 credits w/ one withdraw but then I fail pre calc (I like math believe it or not) so that turns into 9 credits. 19 credits for my freshman year. That makes it that now I have a 2.5 GPA cumulative
I transfer back to my state to a pretty solid school, and I really enjoy it, it's in state so I save money and any safety net I have can go towards law school. Everything's great and I'm taking 19 credits to build myself up. So honestly if I told you all the drama and crap I've had to go through we'd be here all day haha but a lot happened, including my father (who abdandoned me and my half siblings) dying of cancer (which he didn't tell us about so we wouldn't be able to settle things with him) and that hit me like a train because I'm a person who really believes in families sticking together and the fact that I wasn't able to confront him (the bastard also took my social security number way back to get tax cuts, and he also stiffed me and my mom on child support). That happens and once again my mom who's self employed is going through a tough time, but I'm here now so it helps. Look, I'm not trying to act like bad stuff only happens to me, and woe is me, but this just really messed me up.
I've withdrawn from a class already and now have 16 credits to complete. I'm not doing too hot and because I've been depressed or whatever you may call it, I've been skimping on my studies. I'm expecting to not get good grades this semester. I've even considered withdrawing from another one (that would make 4). That last one I'm considering is Spanish and it's giving me a lot of trouble. I guess the point is, I have been majorly affected by outside influences and that's not right of me to make that as an excuse but I've let it get to me. I do indeed love economics, I do, but I don't think I like math enough to follow it. My second semester of freshman year I dropped micro and am now retaking it, and I'm also taking macro. I do enjoy math but I'm taking pre calc again, and though I like my new teacher and I do enjoy it, I don't love it like I used to. It's a useful major and if I were to give up law then it'd help with job aspects but then again, I don't think I'm ever really going to do anything outside of law/law enforcement.
The thing I hear is major in something you're good at/ love so then you'll get a good GPA and have those 4 years free to also study for the LSAT(which I haven't don't yet because I've been overwhelmed with school so I'm screwing that up too). The thing is, is that I am interested in working out and then science behind it (exercise science?) but I don't truly like a lot of science but I also had bad teachers for it in high school. I am really good at English (I aced it freshman year) but I don't know if I really want to major in it. I am interested in marketing and advertising but once again, I don't know if I want any more math. I have other interests for sure but what should someone who can't really put their interests into a major do if they want that high GPA? Can I repair the damage done with my academic career like with maybe taking classes at cc during summer or something? Lastly, what are my chances now for a top law school, given that my personal statement and EC's are top notch?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Is this damage irreparable? Chances for t14?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi - we don't do duplicate threads here, so I'm going to lock this one and people can respond to your other one.

Return to “What are my chances?”