3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
meemoolawyer

3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale?

Postby meemoolawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Hey there,

Just took the June LSAT, and came out with those scores. I'll be applying in the current cycle, but I'm considering waiting off a year to take the LSAT again and aim for a couple points higher. I was PTing around 173, but up to the test was scoring around 176-177.

I'm currently a non-URM, double major in computer science and philosophy at a top 15 school with those stats. I've been taking a lot of course units and bulking up on Masters courses to make my transcript puff up, so those numbers are pretty solid. I did a bit of checking on MyLSN and Yale, my dream school, seems to yield me only about a 25-30% chance of getting in.

However, I've heard that your softs matter a lot more for schools like that because way more kids in my range are applying to Yale, so I wanted to know what would really push me over the edge. My softs are *okay*, I was the president of two different clubs, one focused on philosophy and the other on community activism. I spent my summers working at large, "big name" software companies. But I wouldn't say I have something that really makes your eyes pop. I wanted to know if it was worth it to retake, and whether my major choice / courses would be a big factor.

Thanks!

Dcc617

Re: 3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale?

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 pm

You have a chance, but it's a crap shoot. Why only Yale and not Stanford or Harvard?

meemoolawyer

Postby meemoolawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Damn, thanks for the quick reply haha!

I'll be applying to the top 10 law schools, and I'm definitely interested in Stanford and Harvard as well. I always wanted to go to Yale, but I'll be putting equal effort into my Harvard and Stanford admissions.

I forgot some softs:
I spent two years volunteering at immigration clinics, and also wrote opinion for my college newspaper for a couple years. I also TA for the Computer Science department. These, however, seem more like small things rather than real sells.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 am

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Gorsuch

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 am

Return to “What are my chances?”