174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nm2323
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm

174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby nm2323 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 pm

I am applying to law school this cycle. Just got my June lsat score back and looking at schools I can get into.

White female

LSAT: 174
GPA: 3.68 (at Boston College, don't know if that helps)

Softs:
2 year volunteer at local prison as adult education tutor
Part of several other service organizations both domestic and international
Started a Jesuit refugee program chapter at my university
Part of undergraduate student government (on board of student organizations)
Big Sisters of Boston
Studied abroad and did research in South Africa, published in school journal.
Ran several local political campaigns through start up campaign incubator
Conducted research with prominent theologian

Really would love to get into Harvard but I want to know where I will be able to get into with my scores. I know my gpa is low for the top schools but maybe my lsat would off set it?

Thanks for all your help!

kingpin101
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby kingpin101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:40 pm

It's relatively unlikely that you'll get into Harvard, but possible. Your stats are fine for the rest of the T14 though because yes, a 174 can definitely make up for your not-really-that-low gpa.

GoneSouth
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 pm

I think you'd actually have a decent chance at Harvard. I got waitlisted there (and into Columbia) with a 171/3.6 a couple years ago

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby guynourmin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 pm

I think "relatively unlikely" is a bit too strong.

Image

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby Platopus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 am

guybourdin wrote:I think "relatively unlikely" is a bit too strong.



Image

If you trim up the LSAT range, things get slightly worse, but I agree. "Relatively unlikely" at H is a bit of a stretch. OP has a decent shot. Strong PS is going to be important. OP you might have to fight your way off the WL, but you definitely have a realistic shot.

User avatar
schocolate
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby schocolate » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:29 pm

I think you have a decent shot! If random data points are comforting, I got in with a 3.7 and 176 last year.

kingpin101
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby kingpin101 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Sigh, if relatively unlikely isn't < 50%, then I don't know what it means.

nm2323
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby nm2323 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Thank you all for your help! Figured Harvard was basically a crapshoot with my numbers because of the discrepancy.

User avatar
Delano
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby Delano » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 pm

It would probably be over the top to retake a 174, but - judging by last cycle - your odds at H increase substantially at that GPA with just another point or two on the LSAT.
That said, your numbers are excellent and you'll be looking at some great t14 options regardless.

nm2323
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby nm2323 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Delano wrote:It would probably be over the top to retake a 174, but - judging by last cycle - your odds at H increase substantially at that GPA with just another point or two on the LSAT.
That said, your numbers are excellent and you'll be looking at some great t14 options regardless.


Yeah I thought about retaking, but before the test I was pt'ing at around 169 so this 174 was a complete surprise and mostly due to the June 2017 test playing to all my strengths (heavy on first family LR, easy LG, and I'm always solid in RC) so I am definitely not confident I could improve.

User avatar
Delano
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: 174 lsat and 3.68 gpa. Can lsat make up for lower gpa?

Postby Delano » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 pm

nm2323 wrote:
Delano wrote:It would probably be over the top to retake a 174, but - judging by last cycle - your odds at H increase substantially at that GPA with just another point or two on the LSAT.
That said, your numbers are excellent and you'll be looking at some great t14 options regardless.


Yeah I thought about retaking, but before the test I was pt'ing at around 169 so this 174 was a complete surprise and mostly due to the June 2017 test playing to all my strengths (heavy on first family LR, easy LG, and I'm always solid in RC) so I am definitely not confident I could improve.

Probably not worth it to retake then. You should have a lot of excellent options as is.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests